Found these interesting

hogwylde09

18 minutes ago, deep3shot said:

What's the harm in someone selling their wares wherever they choose?

Thebes commented he would flag the posts because "I don't like (his) approach."

The Craigslist Terms of Service say you can only post in one local market, not several.  I am guessing this is why he is flagging the multiple nationwide posts. 

CL doesn't have paid staff to review every ad, they ask viewers to flag posts when there is a violation of the TOS.  Mr. Thebes is being responsible member of the CL community and has every right to flag a post if he sees fit.  It helps to keep a level playing field for everybody.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

The Craigslist Terms of Service say you can only post in one local market, not several.  I am guessing this is why he is flagging the multiple nationwide posts. 

CL doesn't have paid staff to review every ad, they ask viewers to flag posts when there is a violation of the TOS.  Mr. Thebes is being responsible member of the CL community and has every right to flag a post if he sees fit.  It helps to keep a level playing field for everybody.

I am aware of CL's terms of use.  My rhetorical comment probably shouldn't have been posed as a question.  Perhaps I am less offended by the sellers infraction than others may be.  Truth be told I admire the industriousness of the poster and find his offering a bit tempting.  Of course as a small business owner I always root for the little guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Dave, although I like you and Thebes, long time forum members, and I enjoy most of your posts, my opinion is that unless a person has a stake in the game (either buying, selling, or competing), then I think you're sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.  Don't like the approach?  That's not a violation of the TOS, that's an opinion.  And local markets?  I wouldn't say that Houston, New York, and Washington DC are exactly local to each other.  Are you also opposed to someone placing ads in several newspapers?  Are you opposed to placing ads here in the garage sale, and also on AudioKarma, on Audiogon, on USAAudiomart?  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Dave, although I like you and Thebes, long time forum members, and I enjoy most of your posts, my opinion is that unless a person has a stake in the game (either buying, selling, or competing), then I think you're sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.  Don't like the approach?  That's not a violation of the TOS, that's an opinion.  And local markets?  I wouldn't say that Houston, New York, and Washington DC are exactly local to each other.  Are you also opposed to someone placing ads in several newspapers?  Are you opposed to placing ads here in the garage sale, and also on AudioKarma, on Audiogon, on USAAudiomart?  

There is always such a generous spirit on this Klipsch forum when it comes to sharing information and helping members benefit by the wisdom of other members.  It just seems out of place and below the dignity of such good people on this forum to interfere with someone trying to make a living.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Jim, I didn't take a position one way or the other on flagging that particular CL listing.  I merely speculated on what Thebes' comment meant, answering the question Mr. Deepshot asked further upstream, "what's the harm..."

I apologize for the confusion.

Jim, on this we must disagree.  I am also a small business owner (housepainter), and at one and half guys it can't be much smaller.

Craigslist, like everyplace has it rules and regulations, one of which is you cannot peddle your wares all over Craigslist.  You have to keep it local.  Hey I didn't start the company, buy that's the way it is.  Part of the reason they don't have to charge for anything but a few types of ads is that they don't have a large staff and they leave it to their users to help out with stuff like this, just like the volunteer monitors we have here. 

Quite frankly I doubt very seriously that this guy is not aware that he's breaking the rules. He's just trying to build a business on the cheap while skirting those rules.

Now I have plenty of competitors that are also "just trying to make an honest living" and they don't have licenses, they use illegals, or are illegal, and they don't pay taxes. Yup their just trying to make a living. While so am I but I have a license and I do pay taxes.  So my sympathy for these guys doesn't run very deep.

This guy is not trying to make an honest living he's trying to make a crooked living so screw him.

By the way, I had already flagged the guy before I saw this post.  I've done this in the past, on this issue and other end runs around Craigslist rules,  and I won't feel at all guilty about doing it in the future. 

In a similar vein I have no truck with people who come to this Forum for the sole, and only purpose, of peddling goods.  There are many other venues open to them and I wish they'd  all leave. 

So there! (he said while stamping his feet)

• Like 3

We all have different personalities, different opinions, different ways of looking at things.  This is natural. What I personally find amusing is people get on these sites and if they disagree on something often it becomes nasty. ( what do you mean you like mustard over ketchup on your sandwich ), Why you must be crazy, so and so on ). We comment often on what equipment sounds better.   I stand guilty myself. I have over the years having bought so much equipment ( looking for that elusive nirvana )  and I am guilty of still doing this.

Just bought a fantastic pair of JBL 4430's. Their sound  blows me away.  But I am putting them up for sale. Back to the point.  If this person wants to advertise wherever he wants so be it. Why let the conservation go to the point where we are discussing the morality or way he chooses to market his product.  

LIVE AND LET LIVE BRUDDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

10 minutes ago, staygroovybaby said:

We all have different personalities, different opinions, different ways of looking at things.  This is natural. What I personally find amusing is people get on these sites and if they disagree on something often it becomes nasty.

I can tell you that it has been brought up before and I have come to realize it myself that there is a "clique" here that are quick to light up the torches and grab the pitchforks if you dare say something out of line. There doesn't seem to be much rationale in their anger and they seem to care less about what is actually said and more about who said it and to whom.  Disappointing really that a small handful of people can turn an otherwise pleasant place to be into a battlefield.