When the high end gets a bit ludicrous

tube fanatic

You got to buy the whole DF KoolAid. I agree with some of it but not all.

I can be devils advocate a little. The way I see it is you if your going to build something and start a company wouldn't you sell for the most you can get? The snake oil has never been more rampant. A fool and his money are soon parted. Does it matter If the fool is happy?

• Like 1

On microphonic tubes-- here's something to think about: The MORE microphonic a tube is, the MORE sensitive to music's changes it is.

I LOVE microphonic tubes-- if it is not due to a defective tube.

When selecting tubes for mirror-image uses (such as in two amps-- each one I want to equal the other), I will put the tube up to my ear and "rattle" it in several dimensions-- by tapping it lightly with a knuckle and listening to the insides vibrate. What I'm looking for is NO damping-- no "thunk", but nothing loose inside either-- just a clean signature. It is very hard to find two tubes that signature alike. When two do, you have a stereo pair.

23 minutes ago, mike stehr said:

When selecting tubes for mirror-image uses (such as in two amps-- each one I want to equal the other), I will put the tube up to my ear and "rattle" it in several dimensions-- by tapping it lightly with a knuckle and listening to the insides vibrate. What I'm looking for is NO damping-- no "thunk", but nothing loose inside either-- just a clean signature. It is very hard to find two tubes that signature alike. When two do, you have a stereo pair.

I think that's in the top 3 of most idiotic things I've ever read/heard of.

• Like 2

On microphonic tubes-- here's something to think about: The MORE microphonic a tube is, the MORE sensitive to music's changes it is.

Mike, is this your opinion, and statements, or someone else's?

5 minutes ago, ToolShedAmps said:

Microphonic tubes go directly to a landfill......sorry, couldn't help myself. :)

It's interesting....I don't know a lot about microphonics but I've had tube amps pretty much exclusively for the past 6 years.  My brother-in-law who is also on this forum builds and repairs guitar tube amps and he's always testing tubes "in the amps" for microphonics.  I always got the sense from him that it was a bad thing to have that extra "noise" in the tube.

Serious silliness in his claims like most high-end price goodies in the stereo world.  Think about it, though.  He sells four or five amps based on gibberish per year and has a living, or at least a rational for wifey when she comes home from her real job and asks the layabout what he did that day.

You want serious silliness look on Agon at the turntable listings, or better yet, the stereo cart listings.

It's very sad to see so much nonsense based solely on greed in a field where so many real people, and companies, produce magnificent products based on real science.

21 hours ago, mike stehr said:

Yikes!  They better stay away from my tubes!