Crites Titanium Tweeter diaphragms -- the Upgrade Saga Continues

KenazFilan

I recently only purchased a set of tweeter diapraghms for a pair of Quartets I had but called Crites yesterday to discuss the issue of crossovers and diapraghms.  I had to agree with his point about "replacing or rebuilding the crossovers is a maintenance item" just like on any other piece of equipment.  After about 20 years, the capacitors, etc. dry out, lose their effectiveness, etc.  

Made sense to me so I purchased both the crossovers and diapragms for a pair of Fortes I found Saturday.  I will still only replace the diaphragms in the Quartets and will "A/B" the Quartets and Fortes for fun after I've replaced everything to see just how much difference there really is or at least what difference I can hear.  Nothing scientific, just for fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cgolf70 said:

I only purchased a set of tweeter diapraghms for a pair of Quartets I found the other day but called Crites yesterday to discuss the issue of crossovers and diapraghms.  I had to agree with his point about "replacing or rebuilding the crossovers is a maintenance item" just like on any other piece of equipment.  After about 20 years, the capacitors, etc. dry out, lose their effectiveness, etc.  

Made sense to me so I purchased the crossovers and diapragms for a pair of Fortes I found Saturday.  I will "A/B" the Quartets and Fortes for fun after I've replaced everything to see just how much difference there really is or at least what difference I can hear.  Nothing scientific, just for fun.

The maintenance issue is well taken. I pulled the xo from one of my quartets and it looks brand new, but stock. The metal is still shiny. I've seen pics of the same xo's on the web and the transformers and inductors look their age, tarnish, oxidation. So now I wonder if I can figure out if they are original or replaced recently? They sound great butif the caps are 25 years old, they could sound better.

cgolf70; My experience with my Forte II's. Having owned since delivery from Hope AK where they were crafted.

After speaking with Bob Crities, I replaced Crossovers, and both Tweeters & Mids to Titanium.

Then I perform my own non-scientific test, by listening to the first speaker that was upgraded vs other speaker that hadn't been upgraded. Results were rewarding, and I never second guessed my spending $'s with Bob Crities.

Hope your results are as revealing as mine were.

Good luck and always enjoy your sounds. Jeff

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BlueHusky79 said:

cgolf70; My experience with my Forte II's. Having owned since delivery from Hope AK where they were crafted.

After speaking with Bob Crities, I replaced Crossovers, and both Tweeters & Mids to Titanium.

Then I perform my own non-scientific test, by listening to the first speaker that was upgraded vs other speaker that hadn't been upgraded. Results were rewarding, and I never second guessed my spending $'s with Bob Crities.

Hope your results are as revealing as mine were.

Good luck and always enjoy your sounds. Jeff

That is good to hear.  I have no doubt that replacing both diaphragms and XOs will make the most difference, but it is still good to hear from other users who have done it and hear their results.  Mine will arrive tomorrow so I'll know before the weekend!!

5 hours ago, BlueHusky79 said:

If you have any questions please feel free to ask? I do reccomend having a fully charged power screw or variable drill. Makes the process easier and pain free.

Yes thanks for the advice.  My screwdriver is being charged at this time.  Parts will be here today but it might be tomorrow before I get them installed.  Tonight is a work event.  I'll let you know the results.  What I noticed after installing just the diaphragms in the Quartets was a more subdued sound.  Not a bad subdued, just not as crisp.  But my theory is always that the ears are what needs the most break in time for a new or revised piece of equipment, not necessarily the equipment.

I just finished installing the diaphragms and crossovers in the Fortes and have been listening to them for the past 45 minutes.  Without sounding platitudinal or clicheish (are those even words??), I have been totally mesmerized by them.  My goodness they sound so fresh and crisp and detailed and warm and oh my they are so sweet with that Luxman.

What else can I say.  Yes it was worth the $$ spent.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Congratulations! Glad that your results were as rewarding as your comments suggest.

Appreciate you sharing as I been wondering how your upgrade went. When time permits listen to all your favorites, you'll be rewarded by hearing them even better now!

• 11 months later...

I have a pair of the Heresy III and find the Ti diaphragms extremely revealing. My previous speakers were very good. The Hiii reproduce some music so well it is a surprise how great it sounds. Other music is unlistenable. 

About half my collection listened to so far sounds worse on the Heresy. About 25% the same, and 25% better on the Heresy. Tells me that a quarter of my music is well recorded.

On 7/13/2017 at 9:17 PM, cgolf70 said:

I just finished installing the diaphragms and crossovers in the Fortes and have been listening to them for the past 45 minutes.  Without sounding platitudinal or clicheish (are those even words??), I have been totally mesmerized by them.  My goodness they sound so fresh and crisp and detailed and warm and oh my they are so sweet with that Luxman.

What else can I say.  Yes it was worth the $$ spent.  :rolleyes:

I made the same upgrades about 4+ years ago.  Never looked back. Extremely Close to a forte III for a few hundred dollars.

Regards,

John

11 hours ago, John Chi-town said:

I made the same upgrades about 4+ years ago.  Never looked back. Extremely Close to a forte III for a few hundred dollars.

Regards,

John

I did the same upgrades

I did the same upgrades to my Late fathers 1986 Forte 1s and just picked up a nice McIntosh Integrated amp  to go along with my HSU Subwoofer and am TOTALLY Blown away at how incredible my system sounds now. I am not an Audiophile nor are any of my friends that I know of but I have never heard anyones home audio system sound better than this setup. Without a doubt worth the $$$$$$ on the Bob Crites upgrades

• Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 9:14 AM, Fido said:

I did the same upgrades to my Late fathers 1986 Forte 1s and just picked up a nice McIntosh Integrated amp  to go along with my HSU Subwoofer and am TOTALLY Blown away at how incredible my system sounds now. I am not an Audiophile nor are any of my friends that I know of but I have never heard anyones home audio system sound better than this setup. Without a doubt worth the $$$$$$ on the Bob Crites upgrades

INMHO, the forte line is the best or in the top 2. most balanced speakers Klipsch ever produced.  K Horns, Jubes, and Lascalla  are "better"  overall in many aspects.  However in my "world" I do not have the real estate required to have K Horns or Jubes breath properly.  It is my belief that in most situations for 2 channel music and or video the forte line is very hard to beat.

Regards,

John

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I know some think of EQ as the devil but using the loki turn down 8000hz down about 3 db from 0 and 2db or so at 2000 hz and the titanium tweeters on my rp280s sound great. You just run it down till the sparkle remains but the sizzle is gone. If the recording is lite on top take the 2000 and 8000 hz back to 0 or plus 1 maybe. Add a fuzz for spotify and pullback a fuzz for cd.  I have a really average room so I need EQ! Your situation may vary but if took my situation from WOW I HATE THESE SPEAKERS to WOW I LOVE THESE SPEAKERS.

• Like 1

I have to second the recommendation for the Loki posted above. it was a requirement when I had my Cerwin Vega VS-120's. It really helped. Now, I have the KG4's I run it flat. I am considering Ti tweeter upgrades. but I was becoming worried about the comments of "bad recordings". its a vinyl only system. the post above reminded me, that the loki can room correct for that. So, ill definitely be getting the Ti upgrades one day. 

• Like 1