USB DAC opinions requested

Audio Flynn

I have a AQ Dragonfly 1.2 for about two years and was looking at what is out there for a slight improvement.

Options:

Meridian Explorer

AQ Dragonfly Red

Headamp Pico UPSAMPLING USB DAC

schiit modi multibit

Just for streaming music. I live in the middle of know where so I buy everything based upon reviews and recommendations.

Please give me your opinion on the options or recomend another for less than $ 400.

Thanks;

Rick

I was leaning in the direction of the Dragonfly Red but wanted to be open minded.

I have not read up on Cambridge in a while.

Keep the ideas coming! Schiit and Pico are interesting but not enough reviews to make a consensus.

I heard the Meridian Explorer as part of a super high end Meridian system at AXPONA Chicago show 2 years ago but the whole system was probably $ 20,000 or more.

On 2/7/2017 at 6:09 AM, KenazFilan said:

I have been very impressed with my Music Hall 25.3 DAC: it is a hybrid design and the tubes add a nice bit of warmth and analog sound to the digital signal.  It is a bit above your budget at $595 but I got mine on sale for around $450.  

I too have the Music Hall 25.3 DAC and really like it alot.  In fact I have two.  They can be found used quite reasonably priced.

18 minutes ago, vondy said:

I have the Emotiva Stealth DC-1. It's $500 but pro grade. No complaints and it gets a lot of great reviews from folks.

https://emotiva.com/products/dacs/electronics/dacs/stealth-dc-1

I bought a DC-1 for my main system and liked it so much that I bought another one for a second system.

When I bought the DC-1 for the main system, I also owned a MSB Nelson Link DAC III with P1000 power supply and a Music Hall DAC 25.2.  After extensive A-B'ing, I found the DC-1 to be superior to the other 2, so I sold the MSB and Music Hall DACs.  I have not felt the need to consider a DAC upgrade since owning the DC-1.

The DC-1 can also drive an amp directly with no additional preamp in the system.  I run the main system this way most of the time: DC-1 connected directly to a Rotel RB-1582 MkII via balanced interconnects.  Very clean and transparent sound is how I would describe it.  

11 minutes ago, Dawson's Ridge said:

Wadia di122 designed by McIntosh engineers in Binghamton NY. 

https://www.paragonsns.com/product/wadia-di122-digital-audio-decoder/ 

Look at Paragon's pre-owned / special page and call Richard. He made me a better deal over the phone plus free shipping and no card fee.

My wife thinks I should spend a little more as to prevent the every other year upgrade bug.

I have always read good things about Wadia

On 2/11/2017 at 9:42 AM, adam2434 said:

Is your USB DAC connected to a separate system for your computer, or is it connected to the system in your signature?

I use a newer AMD A10 laptop with 8 gig of ram to listen to Spotify and am slowly ripping CDs to J River for NAS. I still fly quite a bit for another 7 years so I was looking for portability. With J River I am ripping in FLAC. Looking a t Chord Mojo. And making myself nuts doing research. LOL

43 minutes ago, Audio Flynn said:

I use a newer AMD A10 laptop with 8 gig of ram to listen to Spotify and am slowly ripping CDs to J River for NAS. I still fly quite a bit for another 7 years so I was looking for portability. With J River I am ripping in FLAC. Looking a t Chord Mojo. And making myself nuts doing research. LOL

Regarding portability, is the DAC for headphones or do you connect it to a full system?

ESS has a new benchmark chipset the 9038pro... I have not heard it as yet, but beleive me the 9018 is no slouch... specially when used in pairs. There is a big audible difference between single 9018 circuits and those that use several chipsets per channel.