Heresy II bookself rebuild

MenloBob

I purchased my first ever new speakers with my first paycheck out of college, a pair of cherry Heresy iis in 1988.  A pair of KG2s followed soon after for my office and a pair of Forte iis in 1990.  When my family moved from Virginia to Silicon Valley in 2004 I gave my best friend all except my original H2s.  Unfortunately I now live in the most expensive real estate market in the country and I've never had floor space (that my wife would let me use ;) here to setup the Heresys properly, so they have remained in storage ever since. 

Recently I have been building a new closet and bookcase system in the master bedroom, and it occured to me that I have enough space above the units for about a half height H2 enclosure.  So I played around with some models and came up with design including a 6 inch midbass to get down to about 100hz, where I can extend the range with a subwoofer.   There are two bookshelf columns that have space for a 16.5 wide by 13.5 deep by 12-13 inch high enclosures.  I've attached a rough idea for the enclosure design with the squawker and tweeter inverted to make room for a truncated frame 6" midbass.  Unfortunately since the speakers have been in storage for so long there is more than a decade of other stuff in front of them so I have a weekend's work to dig them out to have a look at the drivers.  I guestimated the horn sizes from stock photos from the internet.  

Of course the new enclosures will be built from scratch so the original speakers can be reassembled in the future.  So has anyone tried anything like this?  It seems to me this design would make a decent Heritage style HT center channel as well.

I've been lurking here for years, but now I'm ready to get back to the heritage sound.  I'm keeping these speakers until I have space again after retirement in 15 years or either of my sons have space for them.  So I might as well get some use out of the drivers in the mean time.

Thoughts?

Bob in Menlo Park, CA.

IMG_0314.PNG

IMG_0315.JPG

I cuurently have some little Rsx3 units up there that are angled down a bit.  They actually sound better up there than on my desk where I used them for near feild.  I was planning on building in a slight tilt downwards on the front plane.  One thing I forgot to mention is I have a very good calibrated mic that I use to tune the sound for our church PA and I'm planning on using FIR phase correction, so I can do some beam shaping on the impulse response.  How much this will help the first reflection off the ceiling I won't know until I measure.

But in actuality the room itself is small enough that I'm going to have reflection issues from all sides.  I realize this placement is a compromise but I'd rather get some use out of the old Heresys than leave them sitting in storage for another ten years..

I think the first step is to dig out the speakers and build a quick open baffle to mount the two horns in and see how that sounds before building a full enclosure. I can do a quick test with my dsp frontend as an active crossover between the horns and filter out below 700hz.  If that sounds ok, I can prototype a small enclosure for the midbass and experiment with the open baffle downward angle before committing to the full build.

Heresy II is 21-3/8"H x 15-1/2"W x 13 -1/4"D

You do not have room for your existing speakers or for a cabinet that will sound good given your cabinet volume restrictions.  I wouldn't do what you are suggesting.  Buy smaller speakers or replace your cabinets with something that would allow you to place your old Heresy II's in or on.  Not what you want to hear probably but just my 2 cents.   I understand room and furnishing limitations!  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, muel said:

Heresy II is 21-3/8"H x 15-1/2"W x 13 -1/4"D

You do not have room for your existing speakers or for a cabinet that will sound good given your cabinet volume restrictions.  I wouldn't do what you are suggesting.  Buy smaller speakers or replace your cabinets with something that would allow you to place your old Heresy II's in or on.  Not what you want to hear probably but just my 2 cents.   I understand room and furnishing limitations!  

Totally agree with this. It would be way easier to just buy smaller speakers and be done with it. Maybe you could remove the glass doors on your cabinet and place the H-II's inside if they'll fit?