Question about BlueTooth

Mighty Favog

A friend asked me this morning if there are any Bluetooth speakers that are stereo. First I thought of The One or even The Three but couldn't bring them up on my phone to find out.

As I walked away I remembered, yes, they do......and I own one! :)  An SB-120 for my TV. I'm sure their other sound-bars do too. But my question is now, does Bluetooth transmit in true stereo or is it just something like dual-mono?

• Moderators

Well it depends on which version the source of Bluetooth is using.  This was a pretty good explination.

The key technology to look for is A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile); this is a type of Bluetooth that permits streaming of stereo audio. Although the sound quality of audio conveyed via Bluetooth can be very good, it may not attain audiophile status. In particular, to accommodate stereo audio, data compression is used to reduce the bit rate of the audio signal. This may slightly degrade audio fidelity