Which AV-receiver is a better match?

Hjalmaar

Hi there, a bit of help would be greatly appreciated.

Just recently bought my first real speakers. After a quite a lot of research I ended up buying a pair of RP-250F's.  Now I'm looking for a good AV Receiver to match them (I'll add more speakers in time). The main use for me will be listening music in stereo. Mostly CD's, LP's. Wifey wants spotify and kids need video and gaming features so can't just buy a stereo receiver. 

My choice is between Yamaha V681 and Denon X2300. I've heard that Yamaha is more 'musical' but also bit on the 'bright side', where as Denon is more 'warm' and 'laid back'. Which of these would be a better match for these Klipsch speakers?

I've never heard the denon but I have a yamaha rxa 1050 with the rp260f and it is anything but bright. Great top end and crystal clear. Nothing against the denon never owned one but I see people having a lot of problems. I've had many yamahas and never had an issue. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either. Pick the one that fits your needs and don't look back.

Edit: maybe I should be more detailed. The problem with denon I have read are they get super hot. Again this is all second hand info. Heat and amps usually don't go well together over time. Ecspecially if your avr is in a confined space.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

With modern receivers, it's hard to go wrong in terms of sound quality, and with those (and nearly all KIlpsch) speakers, wattage isn't an issue, either, as it takes precious few watts to hit ear-splitting volumes.  I'd make your choice based on features and flexibility in terms of what you want to do with it now and later - i.e. how many channels, multiple zones, etc.

• Like 2

i really didnt like the x2300 when i had one for a week to play with. just to get it out in the open i don't like audyssey for tonal balance unless it's pro which i can adjust. it's too midrange forward for me and graphic eq gets used for tonal while audyssey does the room cal. disclaimer. my ideal sound is not flat. it's more b&w or klipschy in larger rooms. slightly hot 20-80hz flat below 1k, a drop of a couple db in 1-3khz and ramping up above 10khz slightly to 20. audyssey bumps 1-2khz up which drives me bonkers. does not sound live or life like. problem 2 is many speakers have the worst time here in accurate reproduction

now on to my actual point. the x2300 did not do a good job with the 1-3khz range. it's less noticeable with movies but it produces a shrilly sound with some voices and some tones that i do not like. at the same time i tried the yamaha a750 and marantz 5011. in order i would buy marantz, yamaha , den....no save my money. with denon the eq only made bad sounds quieter. yamaha had no headroom and still not the best sound reproduction but at least it did not irritate me, marantz was by far the best and sounded similar to an lower cost actual amplifier 

there is a very large tonal difference between marantz and denon even though they look similar on paper. people have said the x3300 is better sounding and is actually on sale today at frys for 499 with promo code. i have not heard it or played with it so i really don't know for sure. what i do know is the yamaha didn't bother me as much as the denon did. speakers used in my tests were energy cf50/cc10/cb10s and klipsch fr82ii/rc62ii/ energy cb10 rear combos with both the klipsch and the energy setups the denon had the worst tonal balance and midrange reproduction. 

Edited by racebum

I'll be interested to hear what you think.  I haven't encountered an RX-V model Yamaha that I've liked in a very long time.  They're just not built the way they used to be, and I seem to see so many broken or fried models compared to the older models.