near TOTL Sony STR-GX9 ES stereo receiver @ Boston CL

jpc2001

1 hour ago, teaman said:

I have never had a Sony that didn't give me problems. All kinds of handshake issues if you go outside of Sony for the rest of your components

I agree - however:

This is an older ES unit.  I have an 85ES changer that worked wonderfully with a Pioneer SA-420 Integrated (well, we did...it was the family stereo).  Never had any troubles with it, and the programming was a breeze.  New models are a pain, but the old ones...especially the ES ones are amazing units. :)

• Like 1

Sony you have got to be kidding me.  Who would want a Sony str gx-9es in their system. I am just dumbfounded. Wait a minute I own one Sony str gx-9es and seven 

Sony str gx-10es recievers. YUP 7 of them. and I will buy every one I can get my hands on if it is in good shape. Those two models are so underrated it is unbelievable. 

Anyone on the forum have one for sale, please let me know.  I sell quite a bit of Mac gear among other brands.  The Sony STR GX 10es is rated at 150 watts per channel, all the other specs you can find on line. I will proudly put up th gx 10es against any receiver, amp , what ever. All I am saying is the proof is in the pudding. I have sold many pieces of very nice gear, and when the people see the Sony's  sitting there they ask  "Wot's... Uh the Deal , wait a minute that's a old Pink Floyd song. Then I let them listen to one of the Sony's and watch their jaw hit the floor.   Seriously everyone, The  Sony str gx-10es recievers are not getting the respect they should command. Sell me yours Please. I even consider some trading, I have quite a bit of really nice goodies.

rooooooooooooom 001.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I bought this one last night. I will be selling a Pioneer SX-850 or a Rotel RB-970BX to make room for it.

The Sony sounds NICE, holy heck it does!

It's maybe better than my homebrew amps, to my chagrin. I've built several amps derived from the "Honey Badger" and "Wolverine" designs from diyaudio.com. These are very accurate amps, they simulate at 10ppm of distortion or less. This Sony gives them a real run for their money. I was A/Bing the Sony against the homebrews on a pair of Forte's. These are the first generation Forte's labeled 4 ohms impedance. The Sony sounds super clean and clear, muffled lyrics become easily audible. It's like a lyrics translator.

This is the first factory-stock amp I've heard that could maybe beat the homebrews. A Pioneer SA-9500ii doesn't, the SX-850 doesn't, a Sanyo JCX-2600K didn't until it got turned into one of them, and the Rotel RB-970BX doesn't. Admittedly I haven't heard Macs or Krells or any tubes except a '60s Maggotbox console. I'm a cheapskate and fear bankruptcy if I dip my toe in those expensive waters.

It's amazing how different two amps can sound, even when they both allegedly make very low distortion. Maybe tone differences are in play, with tone controls not centering perfectly. I sort of suspect the Sony is cheating and overemphasizing the bass a bit. The bass is maybe a little too solid. It would be interesting to measure.