Floorstanders

Gname78683

I have two sets of floor standers: Klipsch Forte Is in my living room and Bose 10.2 series IIs for my bedroom set.(*)  I've found larger speakers have a better sense of "presence" and musical "flow" (for lack of better words) that you can't get with even the best bookshelf speakers or small monitors.  Smaller speakers sound constricted to me: they don't sound like live performances so much as sound coming out of a little box.  Granted, sometimes it is excellent sound but it's not the same as what you hear from a beast with big woofers and bigger cabinets.   AIUI today's "tower" designs have nothing to do with improved acoustics: they are all about the WAF and fitting unobtrusively in a contemporary living room/home theater.  

(*) I know, I know.  Most contemporary Bose stuff is overpriced and mediocre, but they have made a few excellent speakers and the 10.2 is one of their best.   The acoustimass-loaded woofer gives some extremely tight and clean bass and the Stereo Everywhere effect is great for casual listening though maybe not so much for sharp imaging and soundstage.  

I moved a couple of years ago into a much smaller space and gave up my Floorstanders. Over that time I've tried all of the "small" speakers Klipsch has to offer including the Palladium P-17's and eventually worked my way up to my current RF-7 II's. While I felt the Palladium speakers were probably the nicest sounding out of all the speakers I've tried, including my current ones, they just didn't carry the weight like a big speaker does and I missed that with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

I moved a couple of years ago into a much smaller space and gave up my Floorstanders. Over that time I've tried all of the "small" speakers Klipsch has to offer including the Palladium P-17's and eventually worked my way up to my current RF-7 II's. While I felt the Palladium speakers were probably the nicest sounding out of all the speakers I've tried, including my current ones, they just didn't carry the weight like a big speaker does and I missed that with them.

I think most people that use bookshelf speakers use them because of space limitations. And probably most bookshelf speakers are placed in or on cabinets. 

Floorstanders

4 hours ago, Gname78683 said:

Who uses them?

I do.

What are you using?

RF-63's.

And why do you choose floorstanders? 

They are the first "desired" Klipsch speakers I acquired.  And, they are incredible.

Every other mains are "bookshelf" speakers.

Bill

Khorns, floor standers in the living room/main TV room.

If it weren't for the high performance I like from time-to-time that only comes from large speakers I would prefer smaller speakers that have a full sound at lower to mid volumes.

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I think most people that use bookshelf speakers use them because of space limitations. And probably most bookshelf speakers are placed in or on cabinets. 

And don't forget the Wife Acceptance Factor. That trumps all other limitations!;)

• Like 1

What I've noticed is bookshelf speakers, due to their distance from the floor, don't couple lower frequencies to the room, so a good portion of that tactile bass experience is lost.

This was true in my case even when using 60lb. stands with spiked feet for solid coupling of the speaker to the floor.

However, when by chance I placed those same 6.5" woofered speakers on the floor, the bass immediately improved, despite the low limit of my bookshelvers of 57Hz.

Floorstanders often place their woofers close to the floor, which I feel is the secret trick to great bass reproduction and consequently a great musical experience.

22 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Floorstanders often place their woofers close to the floor, which I feel is the secret trick to great bass reproduction and consequently a great musical experience.

Floorstanders have larger drivers and cabinets which is needed for lower frequencies.

The first set of Klipsch that I owned myself were floorstanders (Synergy F-20s) and if you'd asked what the advantages were beforehand, I would've told you that they produce more bass.

That was still true, but it wasn't the first thing I noticed. What I really noticed was the power and presence of the midrange as compared to any of the small speakers I was used to hearing. Dad had Bose speakers growing up (he knows sound equipment very well from work, but wanted something nonintrusive for the home) and I had computer speakers, so I'd just never heard anything quite like it before. That was the biggest change for me.

Plus, if you're buying bookshelf speakers to place on stands, you might as well get floorstanders anyway. I use Heresies now which I've elevated, so they're floorstand-ish, but they also spank the RP-280F in midrange and overall timbre, so they stay. Bookshelf speakers are good if your space doesn't allow for floorstanders, but if it does, floorstanders are really the way to go. Big speakers for big sound!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chriswhotakesphotos said:

Bookshelf speakers are good if your space doesn't allow for floorstanders, but if it does, floorstanders are really the way to go. Big speakers for big sound!

I agree mostly with this unless your "bookshelf" speakers happen to be RB-75's(or P17B's).;):D

As much as I love my RF-63's on their own, the RB-75/RSW-10d combo in my living room sure sounds big, relatively speaking.

Bill

• Moderators
On 2/9/2017 at 11:46 AM, Peter P. said:

And don't forget the Wife Acceptance Factor. That trumps all other limitations!;)

That's true for me, that's why we have floor squatter's instead of floorstanders, her choice.