WTB: Cornwall's around central Arkansas area

avguytx

While still searching for Belle's, etc., I'd like to get a pair of Cornwall's in the meantime, too.  Within 6 hour drive range is great. If you see something out there, know of a pair, or have a pair, pm me or post here. What the heck...I'll have a collection 

Funny how when you have the money to blow on stuff, there's none to be found.  Belle's, Cornwall's, etc.  Feast or famine.  I ponder La Scala's but wonder how they'll react in my living room.  I guess no worse than Belle's.  Who knows till they're in there.

• Like 1

yeah, funny how that is, huh?  I think especially if we're looking for Cornwalls.  even more so if looking for finished product CW, as opposed to 'project' ones.

since I've been following the forum, I've had the burn for bigger speakers grow on me.  I finally got a little $ set aside, and got the WAF approved for a nice looking pair of CW's that I hope to be completing a deal on in a couple weeks.

even with something in the works on that one pair, I've been watching for any others appear, since I have a little $ and the WAF on the deal.  and have seen very few others that are not completely across the country from me.

so yeah, I feel yer pain sir.

So are a used pair of Cornwall III's preferred over a pair of I's, II's, etc.?  I would think you really wouldn't have to go on an updating/rebuilding/refinish project with a pair of those.  I've read goods and bads about the CW3's versus the older ones.

Anyone?

If cost were no object, or was justifiable for each, would anyone prefer a new pair of Cornwall 3's over the 2's or a pair of '78 models?  What does everyone do to the '78's typically?  Have I read that those have undesirable networks that need to be changed?  So I spend $800 on a pair of '78's, another 250 on crossovers, change tweeter diaphragms, etc., etc and I'm in around $1200+.  Will they sound better than a new pair of Cornwall 3's that "shouldn't" have to have a wrench turned on them?  Anyone who's heard both, or all 3, iterations?

42 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Anyone?

If cost were no object, or was justifiable for each, would anyone prefer a new pair of Cornwall 3's over the 2's or a pair of '78 models?  What does everyone do to the '78's typically?  Have I read that those have undesirable networks that need to be changed?  So I spend $800 on a pair of '78's, another 250 on crossovers, change tweeter diaphragms, etc., etc and I'm in around $1200+.  Will they sound better than a new pair of Cornwall 3's that "shouldn't" have to have a wrench turned on them?  Anyone who's heard both, or all 3, iterations?

I think the answer is no.  Sure improvement are made over time.  Are all perceived improvements better for all people?  I like the sound of some of Klipsch older offering in the Reference line compared to the new RP line.  I think this will translate to the Heritage and Extended Heritage line also.  Some people have already found their audio bliss and have left the circus.  For the others, all aboard!!!

Or do I just build a set of Cornscala's and call it good?  By the time you figure the cost of Cornwall's and then the upgrades/changes (better/new horns, new tweeters, mids, crossovers, woofers (maybe), etc) that's about the same price as all the parts for Cornscala's....most any model.  

But, at $800 a pair for Cornwall's, the cabinets are done and I don't have to mess with that part.  I'm getting lazier in my old(er) age.  I'd rather spend more time listening than building.  Swapping tweeters and diaphragms is an easy peasy thing.

Sheesh...  

I have a pair of Oak lacquered Cornwall II and a pair of La Scala in raw birch lacquered that I haven't used in a couple of years. Wasn't really looking to sell them but I really need to thin the herd. Both are mint, but you would have to twist my arm to get me to sell them. I am getting tired of paying storage fees...

34 minutes ago, Rivervalleymgb said:

I have a pair of Oak lacquered Cornwall II and a pair of La Scala in raw birch lacquered that I haven't used in a couple of years. Wasn't really looking to sell them but I really need to thin the herd. Both are mint, but you would have to twist my arm to get me to sell them. I am getting tired of paying storage fees...

Storage fees wear you out!  But it is surprising how many folks keep things in storage which ends up costing more than the items are worth over time (TRUST ME, I am one of them!).  That is EXACTLY WHY my "retirement plan" is to build a storage rental place (with my workshop next door!)...what's good for the goose is good for the gander!  That way I can store as much as I want and still MAKE money instead of SPENDING money on storage fees!  You live...you learn!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rivervalleymgb said:

PM sent

Could you please send me photos of the La Scala's, and then consider bringing them to hope? If so, I might consider going to pick up your shorthorn for you…