Blue collar speakers

mr clean

There is such a broad line of models and offerings form Klipsch now a days and for a long time now actually. Being a blue collar worker myself I can say that the brand new Palladium and Heritage speakers are pretty out of my budget so don't think they were designed with people like me in mind but I'm perfectly happy to buy used.

Now if you're going to walk into best buy and grab a middle of the road product off of their shelf and then complain about the quality all I can say is you get what you pay for. Also, there is ways to tone down response as mentioned above that don't include toilet paper and L-pads so give them a try or maybe try a different speaker model or different audio equipment / source. Basically there's a lot of things that can cause a bad experience and the speakers themselves are just one piece of the puzzle.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

There is such a broad line of models and offerings form Klipsch now a days and for a long time now actually. Being a blue collar worker myself I can say that the brand new Palladium and Heritage speakers are pretty out of my budget so don't think they were designed with people like me in mind but I'm perfectly happy to buy used.

Now if you're going to walk into best buy and grab a middle of the road product off of their shelf and then complain about the quality all I can say is you get what you pay for. Also, there is ways to tone down response as mentioned above that don't include toilet paper and L-pads so give them a try or maybe try a different speaker model or different audio equipment / source. Basically there's a lot of things that can cause a bad experience and the speakers themselves are just one piece of the puzzle.

Im getting tired. I done went thru this on the fist post that was taken down. I would not spend 16000 for a horn because as much as I love music that would be a BIG hit. I love the rp280f speakers and for the room I have I love them. I put on the first thread that most rooms are far from perfect and a lot of ears are not either. I love the brand I just see this as a improvement in my opinion. Please don't be haten lol!

I also posted in the other thread with the same title.

I also owned the RP-280F and felt like they could be bright and a bit piercing.  Reducing treble with the tone control helped, but I ultimately sold them and bought RF-7 II, which are still on the brighter side, but more balanced than the RP-280F, IMO.  The other strengths of the RF-7 II outweigh the brightness and need for a little treble reduction.  Again, just my opinion.

On the question of L-pads, they were used in a lot of speakers into the 1980’s.  They are used in some current speakers too – for example, some Revel models and JBL studio monitors.  I do wonder why they’ve fallen out of favor for home speakers.  They do provide some useful adjustment for room and taste, IMO.   I would be curious to hear folks thoughts on why they have become much less common in the last couple decades.

I can honestly say that that I’ve thought to myself that it would have been great if the RP-280F and RF-7 II had L-pads for tweeter output, as that might have addressed my perception of brightness, without the need for tone control adjustment.  Certainly, there are other ways to address perception of brightness (tone controls, EQ, additional room treatments, etc.).  However, L-pads seem to be a simple “factory” way of adjusting treble output.  I wonder how many folks that have written Klipsch off as “too bright” would have a different opinion if they could reduce the tweeter output with a factory L-pad?

Not trying to stir the pot, just food for thought.

I’m also the guy that posted that I would like to hear Heritage speakers at some point, as I’ve only heard the RP-280F, RB-81 II, and RF-7 II.  I also posted that I am from the Cinci area.

• Like 3

Surprised no one has mentioned it yet but it's all about synergy.  Some amps can sound bright to almost shrill with Klipsch.  I once hooked up Cornwalls to an older Onkyo HT amp and thought my head would split in two.   I even had a DAC that I didn't keep long because it seemed a bit bright with a little sibilance.  As far as L-pads, no thanks... I don't want to add anything extra between me and the signal.  I get what you are saying though and maybe the trade off would be worth it to you but I think you can find other answers that might even make you happier.  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, muel said:

Surprised no one has mentioned it yet but it's all about synergy.  Some amps can sound bright to almost shrill with Klipsch.  I once hooked up Cornwalls to an older Onkyo HT amp and thought my head would split in two.   I even had a DAC that I didn't keep long because it seemed a bit bright with a little sibilance.  As far as L-pads, no thanks... I don't want to add anything extra between me and the signal.  I get what you are saying though and maybe the trade off would be worth it to you but I think you can find other answers that might even make you happier.  

This was mentioned in the other thread that got deleted by mistake.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mr clean said:

Maybe you don't agree but its not trolling. I have a pair of rp280f speakers. I see on the net that other sometimes find them to bright also. I know nothing is perfect but I liked the older speakers that had l pads for adjustment. I love my speakers as I put on the thread but they would give me headaches after a bit. I just put tissue over the tweeters and it sounds great. I know you see people doing mods and why is that usually. Because they are too bright and give them fatigue after awhile. Yow are fooling yourself if you find I'm the only one that feels this way. People spend tons of money trying to tame the highs and I feel this would be a big plus. This is a forum isn't it?  With l pads you could run them wfo wide open if your ears are young with little abuse or toned down afuzz that still love the sound just needing alittle less on the high end. These speakers have been around for a long time and some fans are older. The blue colar part came from me working in a factory for thirty plus years around lots of noise. And for those telling me to get a different brand I say no no no and you can't make me:P! This is just my opinion so you can agree or not. Thats how a forum works but if I was the only one that felt this way Crites mods and others would not exist.   

I have the RP 280f's.  As an earlier post suggested, if you have tone controls on your amp, no shame in using them.  I keep treble just left of center, about 11 o'clock so to speak.  My listening room is smallish, 12 X 15, and I have hard wood floors with an area rug.  Windows are not treated with any drapes.  Even in that "bright" of a room, that little bit of adjustment worked wonders.  My two cents.

• Like 4

First let me say Mr. Clean has offered a really good idea. Although the claim that Klipsch speakers are generally bright has not been my experience different people like different kinds of sound. I have a few pair of speakers that could use an adjustable tweeter.  I don't have any tone controls so that option is out for a lot of us. As a marketing idea it has great merit. Too hot? Turn it down until it's just right. What's wrong with that? 

• Like 3

A simple equalizer is a relatively cheap solution, especially since the equalizer will likely coast much less than the extra cost of the speakers for putting in the tone controls.  Many speakers USED TO have two controls on them:  "brilliance" & "presence", and that was about it, if any controls at all!  A 5-band (per-channel) equalizer is relatively inexpensive and will more than compensate for the lack of those two particular controls on the speakers.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mr clean said:

I know nothing is perfect but I liked the older speakers that had l pads for adjustment. I love my speakers as I put on the thread but they would give me headaches after a bit.

Maybe figure out how to use an L-pad with the crossover network...or figure out which resistor/resistors are used for padding the midrange/treble part of the xover network. You might be able to use a higher value padding resistor or resistors to attenuate things a bit on the mid and top end. The value may be a trial and error process, but I'm sure it can be done.

• Like 2

It's very hard to give system sound recommendations when all we know are the model numbers of the speakers. The whole system, components and room, have to be considered to decide what the best way forward is for your tastes. Maybe start with a photo of your listening room and a list of the equipment driving the speakers? There's a wide variety of experience available to you here and I'm sure you'll find some ideas to try. People here are very willing to help. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, minermark said:

Buy Bose, let's face it, you just are simply not happy with 25K + Klipsch owners.

Know when to say when, no offense taken. have a great day.

There may be 30k+ with l pads added. Just kidding.  This is the last thing I'm going to say on the subject. The only thing negitive I've ever saw was to bright. Splits my head. Fatigue , harshness. Mods are out there even for the higher priced models. Whats wrong with a fix that doesn't affect the brightness for those that aren't bothered by it. Im done and know lots of you have 0 problems but it seems more than a few do. If it drove up sales just 5 percent I bet the company would love it. Im done bye!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mr clean said:

There may be 30k+ with l pads added. Just kidding.  This is the last thing I'm going to say on the subject. The only thing negitive I've ever saw was to bright. Splits my head. Fatigue , harshness. Mods are out there even for the higher priced models. Whats wrong with a fix that doesn't affect the brightness for those that aren't bothered by it. Im done and know lots of you have 0 problems but it seems more than a few do. If it drove up sales just 5 percent I bet the company would love it. Im done bye!!

Splits your head eh?

EQ ring a bell, Adjust to your conditions, Rocket Science?

• Like 1

Oh I'm not going anywhere just don't have anymore to add on this. Some will agree and some won't. Just the way people are. I'm not even saying I'm right. Just my opinion. I like to kill some time on here and learn from you folks. Im running emotiva gear. Pt-100 preamp tuner, A-300 amp, etc-3 cd player transport.  Im not like some of you. I buy a system. Listen to it till it wears out. Buy new gear. Not about tweaking this and that or adding mods to speakers. Peace!