subwoofer amp

The Dude

I have recently sold my Behringer Inuke 1000 dsp to upgrade for a little more power.  I know a lot really like the Inuke series for the low cost and amount of power you receive.  I have been running lower wattage Crown amps and really like them.  I thought about purchasing a Crown K2 since it doesn't seem to have a fan.  Then I came across some decent deals on the Macro line, which I have heard good things about.   I believe these have fans as well, but if they are anything like the com-tech, you can't even tell it has a fan.  Yes I did a low noise fan swap on the Behringer and i could still hear it, I would like to stay away from those if I could.  What does everyone use?  The macro tech I am looking at is the 2400 with the DSP card, heavy and built like a tank. 

5 minutes ago, jason str said:

What are you powering ?

Currently a single TTLS, which the Behringer does wonderful with.  I had a DIY THspud, but wasn't impressed with it.  I plan to build another TTLS and two more THSpuds.  I would prefer to use the pair of spuds behind the L/C/R to allow my bass rig and guitar rig to be between my L/C/R.

I will be using either the spuds or ttls, not both.

If I am watching movies and a seen with low volume comes on.  Then the sub would go into by pass mode, due to lack of signal, then when an explosion or need for low frequency is called.  The sub will kick in but with a delay.  If this is correct, then the mod would need to be done, but shouldn't be an issue.

37 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If I am watching movies and a seen with low volume comes on.  Then the sub would go into by pass mode, due to lack of signal, then when an explosion or need for low frequency is called.  The sub will kick in but with a delay.  If this is correct, then the mod would need to be done, but shouldn't be an issue.

Try turning the subwoofer signal up in your avr and turn the gain down on the sub amp to compensate.

• Like 1

@djk I had seen Djk was lurking.  If so, maybe he has experience with comparing both amps (k2 and Macro Tech)together.  The two things that are keeping me from deciding are, fan or no fan, and the Macro has DSP (at least the one I am looking at).  Both are roughly the same price range.

20 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Try turning the subwoofer signal up in your avr and turn the gain down on the sub amp to compensate.

This^^

I have my K2's around 25% on their gain controls.  Allows me (forces me) to use higher voltages from the preamp.

Although mine do kick off every now & then, it's usually when I have them turned too far down (below what might be considered normal listening levels, even for the evening news)

I am not referring to the volume being cranked up at all.

On 2/9/2017 at 9:27 PM, The Dude said:

I thought about purchasing a Crown K2 since it doesn't seem to have a fan

It is confirmed that neither the K1 nor the K2 have fans.  They do need some circulation though.  I once had some thermal-protection issues with them going into their red-light mode.

I had one K2 sitting on a wood floor, another K2 sitting on top if it and my active crossover sitting on top of that.  A nice heat sandwich with no room for circulation.

I ended up adding some 1x3 strips to raise off the floor and to put some space between the two sitting on each other and it went away.

Today, I have a wire rack in the closet to allow more air to circulate and the (single) K2 that is in the closet has a CD player sitting on top if it so I added the 1x3 strips there to again, allow air to circulate.  I've never had any heat issues after adding the 1x3's

• Like 1