DIY Sub Questions

ACV92

13 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Turn your sub amp on last and off first.  It shouldn't pop that way.

Noted.  Found that out with a couple of uninformed turning on/off devices.  When I wised up none of the above happened. 

Well folks, here's some pics of the finished UMAX 15.  It didn't come out quite as perfect as I'd hoped, but I think it's pretty darn nice for my first attempt.  I'd like to thank all that contributed.  I've got about 8 hours on it now using the NU3000DSP.  I really like the DSP feature, power is great for a single 15, the fan will need to be changed though.  I may have some questions regarding the DSP coming later.  Anyway, for those thinking of a DIY sub project.  Do it, it takes a little figuring out, but once you get there it's totally satisfying.

IMG_20170519_151945_920.thumb.jpg.aaea01f4926df0215bbb3b35df71f493.jpgIMG_20170519_151955_246.thumb.jpg.b87608091ccf7d553cd7795fb4a33acf.jpgIMG_20170519_152008_036.thumb.jpg.9422e324f5edbdb8a66ba2134d432f3d.jpgIMG_20170519_152022_388.thumb.jpg.996414b0fe385613c8acfc12198801cc.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

That looks great.  You need to adopt Michael J. Fox's philosophy.  He strives for excellence, but leaves perfection to God.  You've achieved excellence.

26 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Great job.  :emotion-21:  We are here to help with the DSP.:D

Thanks!  The wife and girls left for about an hour and I got to flex my new toys a bit.  Man, what did you guys talk me into..  I've tickled the second set of Peak limiter lights and man, the room is moving, literally.  Still working with the PEQ.  Took some measurements with my SPL meter, mic and software are next on my list, and am trying to smooth things a bit.  The flexibility of the DSP is awesome.  I don't know that I can stop messing with it though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The following appears as part of the "Speaker Notes" at the DIY Sound Group page -- http://www.diysoundgroup.com/anarchy-th.html -- regarding the Anarchy Tapped Horn, of which I built five (four flat packs from Erich and one scratch built--only because Erich was out of flat packs).

"It's recommended that you use PL Premium to assemble this type of cabinet.  PL adhesive expands as it cures and will fill in any gaps to give a perfectly sealed enclosure."

That is also what Erich and Lilmike told me personally.  I followed their recommendations wth excellent results.  My days using Elmer's, Titebond, or the like to construct speaker enclosures are over.

On a similar note, no more binding posts for me.  From now on, nothing but Speakon.  In fact, I'm retrofitting La Scalas, Heresys, and my Anarchy TH subs with Speakon connectors.  I'll document that process in a new thread in a few weeks.

• Like 1

I agree that Speakon connectors are great.  My Belles came with the chassis-type Speakon connectors installed on aluminum plates, presumably because they had been used in the music room at the University of Victoria, and maybe they're the standard setup in that room, so they fit any new arrival speakers with the Speakon connectors.

Naturally, I had nothing in my home like that, but all it took was a visit to the local pro audio/concert sound shop, and I came home with a pair of matching male-female sets of connectors, so I had the most recent type.  They're very convenient to use, really inexpensive, make a good solid connection, there's no chance of shorting or touching any live parts, and the 4-pole connectors mean you only need one connector instead of the two you'd need with bananas or something similar.  You can even connect/disconnect them "blind", like if the speaker is so close to a wall (or has a TV on top of it and other gear beside it) that you can't see the connector, you can attach the cable correctly by feel.  The slide-locking setup is pretty smart, too.

It would be a chore to switch over the rest of the speakers, but if I was starting from scratch, Speakons would definitely be the way to go.

http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

They would probably be easier to route a hole for if you wanted to recess them as well.

Definitely.

When I built my Anarchy TH subs, I did not include access panels and I used binding posts.  The binding posts broke off one sub when something fell off the sub, struck the posts and snapped them off.  It still works, but it's not very elegant.  As you can see, I've not gotten around to applying Duratex to subs 3 & 4, so, I'll create access panels to address the binding post to Speakon transition and then apply the Duratex.  I'll stop hijacking this thread and create a new dedicated thread this weekend.

20170602_094157 (Medium).jpg

On 5/19/2017 at 7:02 PM, ACV92 said:

Thanks!  The wife and girls left for about an hour and I got to flex my new toys a bit.  Man, what did you guys talk me into..  I've tickled the second set of Peak limiter lights and man, the room is moving, literally.  Still working with the PEQ.  Took some measurements with my SPL meter, mic and software are next on my list, and am trying to smooth things a bit.  The flexibility of the DSP is awesome.  I don't know that I can stop messing with it though.

Good stuff!  That's fantastic you built your own and get to enjoy the fruits!  Some of that boom and bounce will go away with proper PEQ and some of it is what it should be :)

Enjoy and keep us posted.  Take a few measurements in the same general listening area and then using PEQ to smooth the average is often pretty good.  One measurement can be iffy imo.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I prefer the round base version to the square base edition.  I feel they're easier to secure and seal.

You can never have too many products of Liechtenstein in a speaker project.

I used a metal version of the square based edition that has 4 mounting holes.  Mainly, I used it versus the round one, I bought that one too, was that the terminals were 1/4" on the back of the square one.  A little easier to find connectors for.  I sealed the square one with a little bit of silicone on the inside of the cabinet to ensure no leaks.

1 hour ago, RoboKlipsch said:

NOT to take you down that road too soon or anything, but an Ultimax 15 is on auction at ebay and as of this morning it was $70 :):):)

Twice the sub is more than twice the fun....

My wife hasn't gotten used to the one I have now.  I ran some frequency tests and when I hit 30 and below, she complained that the whole house was shaking.  That was only at 75 db.  But, there is plenty of space on the other side of my setup for one.  Helps with nulls, gain 3db, looks cooler, hmmmm.. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

If on a hard floor a thick entry mat can help reduce vibration from coupling to floor...might help w the house shake.  

Currrnt bid still 64 w 30 shipping....mmmhmm.  think how easy the 2nd would be 

Do you also go by Pied Piper?  I'm old school carpet, 'acoustic ceiling', and she's on wheels.  Brings it up about 1 1/2" from the carpet.  I put these on it. 

casters.jpg.fe18796dfa88d26c9123addc19edd68f.jpg

White walls and four wheel steering.  derrickdj1, I believe said that he had put wheels on a sub.  Genious, if you ask me.  I unplug the Neutrik connector (2 seconds), roll the sub out from it's spot, and can clean, position, with ease.  I'm all about the ease...

On 6/2/2017 at 3:11 PM, RoboKlipsch said:

NOT to take you down that road too soon or anything, but an Ultimax 15 is on auction at ebay and as of this morning it was $70

Can you post a link?  I searched Ebay and couldn't find it.

If you don't want to advertise it feel free to send me a PM.