P-312w with a Sw-115

Charles M

Can pick up a SW-115 , can't afford another P-312w right now or should I say maybe one day !

this SW-115 never had one and for its  category 

would it work to use as a second sub with the P-312w , or is this mixing  McDonald's cheeseburger  with  lobster and steak  ? 

8 hours ago, charles m said:

"I only have the P-312w now but a friend wants to sell a SW-115 , I was wondering could I use this as a second sub for my setup or would it be a waste of money ( it's going cheap) ?"

It is worth a try providing you get it cheap enough so you can sell it if things don't work out.  

I would plug off the P-312w

What does that mean?

Would the sound just not be right or would it be 

find ? What's your feelings on this ?

It could very well blend perfectly.  Be patient when setting up because it may take some time to get it "right".  Placement, phase, crossover, volume, all may be changed many times during your trial and errors.  Give yourself several hours alone and use different music and movie demos.

Bill

• Like 1

Run a Y adapter to the sub cable.  The SW 115 is around half as powerful as the Palladium sub.  Keep it closer to the MLP.  You total output will be limited by the weaker sub.  This won't make a different if the combo meets your listening range.  They should not sound that dramatically different before EQ.  http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95817

I'm betting they have similar output but something tells me the quality of bass you are getting won't even be close. I've owned the palladium sub. And the sw-112. If it's anything like the 112 well, you'll prolly be selling. 

But you you never know. And like bill said, if you aren't losing any money, doesn't hurt to try out. 

• Like 1

Oh it's the SW-115 , so I believe I am going to get it and try anyway and if it doesn't work out

i will sell it ! The palladium P-312 is a great sub eh ? I wish Klipsch's would and Bring back the RSW -15 and go up to RSW -18 and RSW-20 

lol ....  seriously they would make money plus all the home renovations installers would make money after the 20 inch would crack basements  !

lmao 

Well there is no doubt Klipsch is behind in the market with today's movies lfe demands and what some people want (multiple 18" subs). Problem is, in my eyes, pricing. Didn't the rsw-15 originally retail for like 2 grand or more? Your in dangerous territory there as the internet direct brands are into multiple 15-18" drivers and 4000+ watt DEPENDABLE amplifiers. Klipsch first needs to figure out a reputable amp in my opinion. Current ones leave a lot to be desired I feel. Lots of issues with them humming and just not lasting long. 

• Like 3

Yes I  experiences this with my P-312w 

nothing is playing and it's turned up you can hear a hum ...... it drives me crazy! 

Don't get me wrong great sounding sub !

• Like 1

Klipsch has the advantage of selling matched sets, they could produce another RSW line with beautiful veneer matching the top Reference line and I believe a lot of people would buy them if for no other reason than to have a matched set. An RSW-18 would just be incredible but I'm not sure it would be as appealing to many due to the shear size and weight it would have to be if it were in proportion to the older RSW line. The cabinet size and weight difference between the RSW-12 & 15 is pretty large and the 15 already weighs 90 lbs, about the limit of one person handling the thing. The size and weight of an 18" version would probably require two people to install and set up, which may be a turn off for some.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Klipsch has the advantage of selling matched sets, they could produce another RSW line with beautiful veneer matching the top Reference line and I believe a lot of people would buy them if for no other reason than to have a matched set.

That would be awesome.

13 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

An RSW-18 would just be incredible

Even more awesome!

Subs should blend well together imo.  Getting them dialed in together is a challenge.  If there is no separate delay then i would keep the p312 in the  same place and move around the new guy until a great response is found.  Distance between them will be key...although derrick says move the new one closer you need to find where they blend best no matter where the spot is.  I would start by placing at equal distance from mlp and adjust based on measurements if possible.  Although total output is partially limited by the new sub the benefit of mixing them together will probably take away any limitations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

Klipsch has the advantage of selling matched sets, they could produce another RSW line with beautiful veneer matching the top Reference line and I believe a lot of people would buy them if for no other reason than to have a matched set. An RSW-18 would just be incredible but I'm not sure it would be as appealing to many due to the shear size and weight it would have to be if it were in proportion to the older RSW line. The cabinet size and weight difference between the RSW-12 & 15 is pretty large and the 15 already weighs 90 lbs, about the limit of one person handling the thing. The size and weight of an 18" version would probably require two people to install and set up, which may be a turn off for some.

My P-312w is close to 100lb and yes you do need help to move it around because if you don't you will probably screw it up with some 

Damage. It's to Awkward to move by one person. That baby  retail price  is over $5000.00cd  but even then I paid $3000.00 so 

one doesn't want to damage it !

• Like 1

On 2/9/2017 at 11:17 PM, charles m said:

Can pick up a SW-115 , can't afford another P-312w right now or should I say maybe one day !

this SW-115 never had one and for its  category 

would it work to use as a second sub with the P-312w , or is this mixing  McDonald's cheeseburger  with  lobster and steak  ? 

Good analogy and the answer is yes.