Heresy 3's taken to the Toolshed

OldSkool77

Toolshed amps, that is. :)

As promised, I just wanted to give an update on my system. I purchased a pair of black Heresy 3's back in November to pair with an old Marantz 2270 in a 11'x11' mancave. That combo sounded pretty good but a bit harsh up top. After reading this forum, I realized that tubes were the way to smooth that treble out. I noticed that a forum member, Toolshed Amps, was held in high regard. After an e-mail (or 20) I commissioned Matt to build me a SET amp and preamp. Well, the end result is stunning! Custom zebrawood and wenge exterior, polished metal top/front plates with a custom transformer-cover art that I asked for. The volume knobs even go to 11! I'm not a technical guy but all I know is that I just don't want to turn this rig off!

Soundwise, that harsh upper treble is tamed and the bass is TIGHT. The glorious midrange is silky smooth and overall the soundstage is 3D...wall to wall. I couldn't be happier. :)

I will try to attach a few pics. Thanks to all for the guidance and allowing me to brag a bit.

VinylRig1.jpg

SideView.jpg

TopView.jpg

Amp1.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

Nice indeed.  What tubes are in the amp?

The preamp runs 6J5G's, I have Visseaux's installed. The power amp uses EZ81, E80F's and either 6v6g or 6L6gc as power tubes.

Pumps out a robust 6 watts...more than enough for the H3's in a smallish room. :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OldSkool77 said:

Toolshed amps, that is. :)

As promised, I just wanted to give an update on my system. I purchased a pair of black Heresy 3's back in November to pair with an old Marantz 2270 in a 11'x11' mancave. That combo sounded pretty good but a bit harsh up top. After reading this forum, I realized that tubes were the way to smooth that treble out. I noticed that a forum member, Toolshed Amps, was held in high regard. After an e-mail (or 20) I commissioned Matt to build me a SET amp and preamp. Well, the end result is stunning! Custom zebrawood and wenge exterior, polished metal top/front plates with a custom transformer-cover art that I asked for. The volume knobs even go to 11! I'm not a technical guy but all I know is that I just don't want to turn this rig off!

Soundwise, that harsh upper treble is tamed and the bass is TIGHT. The glorious midrange is silky smooth and overall the soundstage is 3D...wall to wall. I couldn't be happier. :)

I will try to attach a few pics. Thanks to all for the guidance and allowing me to brag a bit.

VinylRig1.jpg

SideView.jpg

TopView.jpg

Amp1.jpg

nice blackface marantz..killer zebrawood amps !

• Like 1