Rent, lease, borrow small tube amp

USNRET

Since I got the Khorns I have become interested in what a small tube amp would sound like instead of the EMo XPA-5 200 wpc. I am looking to buy but I thought I would reach out and see if anyone would entertain sending me something to try out.

This would be used driven by a McIntosh C2500 and/or Oppo 105 direct.

• Like 1

I am reminded of a Tom Clancy movie where Jack Ryan is in Columbia and needs a helicopter. Ryan goes to a shady merchant and asks if he can buy the chopper to which the response is "Yes, $1,000,000." In shock, Ryan then asks if he can rent it. The answer is "Yes, $1,000,000"

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Schu said:

How big is your listening are?

A good 8-12 watts would be great for many rooms of reasonable sizing

From a chat with Maynard
I listen at about 14 ft from L&R  that is to say about 12 ft from the plane but the "room" is open to about 1000 sq ft with 22 ft ceiling when you count living room, dining, kitchen, entry way, game room..

Measuring at speaker outputs on amp:

Music: Animals: House of the Rising Sun
Avg 68-70dB at my spot
Meter max hold on 20 VAC scale = 0.64 (with speaker connected)

.64 x .64= .4096 / 4 = 0.1024

So, you require about 1/10 wpc at around 4 ohms.

Here's the deal
I am satisfied for now in this room with the Marantz pre-pro and EMO XPA-5 for HT duty.

I have the Mac c2500 coming Monday
I have a MAX budget of $3000 for an amp BUT I want it to be THE one! So I would like to see what the fleas sound like.

and were it possible I would try every amp from 2 watts to 1000 watts in this setup. I would really like to purchase once.

Part, actually a big part, of this amplification adventure will not be the hardware... but the consumables, Tubes.

I just started this journey and I have a variety of tubes that is approaching half the cost of the amp itself... and I dont even have any really expensive tubes. and of course they will eventually wear out and need to be replaced albeit it at 10,000 hours +/-

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eth2 said:

I am reminded of a Tom Clancy movie where Jack Ryan is in Columbia and needs a helicopter. Ryan goes to a shady merchant and asks if he can buy the chopper to which the response is "Yes, $1,000,000." In shock, Ryan then asks if he can rent it. The answer is "Yes, $1,000,000"

Earl, nice to see your smiling face around again. Don't be a stranger

Mark

• Like 1

^^^^lawyers (note the lower case, esquire)

I've got a BH Stereomour that will run 2a3/45's you can take for a spin. Fantastic unit.

Please PM rules and regulations.

Mike, you always make disparaging remarks about lawyers. Where would you have been without a lawyer when you were nabbed on that charge of carnal relations with farm animals?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, eth2 said:

Where would you have been without a lawyer when you were nabbed on that charge of carnal relations with farm animals?

I would have been screwed............................but just once not twice

• Like 2