Projectors- Basic question

Karsoncookie

Hey all !

I have an acquaintance with this idea of setting up in his back yard a  "Drive in Theatre"

For us old guys, kind of a fun idea I think.

All I would like to know is - Realistically, ballpark idea of how much will he end up spending on a suitable projector?

And I assume his regular DVD player or laptop will feed it w/o much other fanciness needed , Correct?

Lets say 15'-20' diagonal screen size.

So I assume the main thing here is sufficient brightness.

We know NOTHING about these.

No more info is needed at this time other than price ballpark estimate for that application.

No Model #'s, nothing but just an educated $ figure, and a confirm on my source feed general question. 

Thank you all,  Marc

4 hours ago, willland said:

The 15' to 20' screen size is going to be the challenge.  Brightness will be one of the capabilities needed.  The other will be a projector capable of filling that size of screen.  Yes, you can just pull the projector back until it fills the screen, but the projector will need to also be able to focus at that distance and I'm not sure you will be able to do that with any home projector.  You will likely need to look at commercial projectors which means the $500 range will be unlikely.  The Projector People should be able to give you a complete answer in about five minutes.  Give them a call: 1-800-248-0675.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Karsoncookie said:

Thank you Gentlemen.

For now, just need to know the bottom line ballpark $ for a projector to handle that situation, nothing more.

We have NO idea if it's like $500, or 5K.

That's all I need for now.

Thank you, Marc

I know a guy that refurbs older commercial projectors.  It won't be high def and awesome black levels but it's hella bright and often times good ones can be had for $400.  I think that's what you should look for myself.