eBay Seller Insists These are Cornwall II's - Please Educate Him

Frzninvt

Yep, I already explained to the guy that there were two series of Cornwall II's the early ones with the vertical horn placement, and the later ones from 'late '85-'86 to '89 with the flush mounted drivers, composite horns, and sealed backs with banana plug inputs.  The driver complement for the later II's is totally different.  The specs on the K-34 woofer are the same but the cardboard basket edge (lip) was shorter and finished to accomodate the flush mounting.

You know checking the history on the Klipsch page it appears that the seller might actually be right technically speaking. The original Cornwall had the k-1000 mid horn and the Cornwall II came out in 1963 with the k-600 mid horn see the note on the bottom of the page:

"* By 1981 it was forgotten that the “original Cornwall II” occurred in 1963 when the K-1000 horn was replaced with the K-600 horn. Same thing with the Heresy, so we have had two II’s in both models!"

http://www.klipsch.com/cornwall-history

• Like 1

Boys and girls. I just bought a pair of Cornwalls from 1969 labeled "Cornwall II" with 1983 drivers in them (updated). Yes, mine have the horns turned "the wrong way" and have only 2 slots.

So what should THEY be called, if weren't a Klipsch geek on this forum and only read the back label, which clearly calls them II's?

Cut the guy some slack, as they would sound pretty much the same, especially if they have B2 networks.

• Like 2

I don't think anyone is going to pay 1400 for them, could they be the CW 1.5? It's not worth getting into a pissing contest over something you have no intention of buying and has zero effect on your life. If someone is seriously considering buying them, let them do their homework and decide for themselves if they want to spend that much change on them. Personally, I would rather buy a highly recommended used watch or two for that price

Mark

• Like 1

Quite a few differences. Cornwall II's had a newer style tweeter that has a physically different look and design.  They also stopped using the cast mid horn and went with a new composite horn with the CW II as well. Also on the rear wire posts were recessed in a plastic box like all of the newer designs and didn't just have terminal flush mounted on the back.  It seems there was one or two other factors, but Im not remembering them.  

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:58 PM, wvu80 said:

You're killing me, man!  :lol:

Is this a Cornwall, or a Cornwall II? 

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:59 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

Once again, it doesn't make a dime's worth of difference.

I have to disagree with this. The original Cornwall II used the same drivers but the horns were mounted vertically so to get the same dispersion you'd have to lay them on their side. That is a huge difference. The second Cornwall II used completely different midhorns / drivers and tweeters, they also went with a sealed rear panel and an MDF cabinet so it would be very hard for me to believe that there isn't some sonic differences between the two.

So, from what I've learned in this thread is that there are at least 5 very distinct Cornwall's out there, 6 if you count the 1.5 model.

1) The original with k-1000 mid horn 2) the newer original with the k-600 mid horn 3) The first "II" model with vertically mounted horns 4) The second "II" model with plastic horns 5) The all new "III" model with the k-701 Heresy mid horn

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

So would a $995 price with free shipping be "good enough" for all of you with pricing opinions on, essentially, the same speaker that sells for $4200 heavily inflated dollars new?

I actually like the Cornwall's offered in this listing even if the price is beyond the upper end of typical. I don't know that its fair to compare the original Cornwall to the III as they seem to me to be different designs. Really about the only thing they have in common is cabinet size / port and woofer but even the cabinet material and woofer placement is different.

On 2/12/2017 at 3:59 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

Once again, it doesn't make a dime's worth of difference.

In fairness to you I think you are being diplomatic and non-committal.  That's not the worst crime ever.  ;)

You seem to be implying there is not a "dime's worth of difference" in the sound.  I can grant you that, as I've never heard either one and I presume you've heard both and are well qualified how to judge how they sound.

However in terms of resale value there is several hundred dollars worth of difference over the course of high/low pricing.  From my own research of actual selling prices. last six months:

Cornwall: Avg $829

Cornwall II:  Avg $990

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

I have to disagree with this.

The "It doesn't make a dime's worth of difference" I wrote refers to badgering a seller to death over something he just does NOT intend to do.  It is often wise to pick a battle one has a CHANCE of winning.  Getting one's drawers in a wad over something so trivial about a seller is NOT a battle that seems to be getting won!

If somebody KNOWS what they are, they will still sell...if any buyer really wants them at the price being set.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

The "It doesn't make a dime's worth of difference" I wrote refers to badgering a seller to death 

Well that makes sense although, in this case, we seemed to get through to the seller as he updated the listing.

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

In fairness to you I think you are being diplomatic and non-committal.  That's not the worst crime ever.  ;)

You seem to be implying there is not a "dime's worth of difference" in the sound.  I can grant you that, as I've never heard either one and I presume you've heard both and are well qualified how to judge how they sound.

However in terms of resale value there is several hundred dollars worth of difference over the course of high/low pricing.  From my own research of actual selling prices. last six months:

Cornwall: Avg $829

Cornwall II:  Avg $990

WHICH Cornwall II??...see what I mean?  If the asking price is too high, then the seller will figure that out after they don't sell for awhile...unless SOMEBODY wants them bad enough to pay the asking price.  This particular seller could care less about this Cornwall and that Cornwall...the paperwork attached to the back of those speakers said "Cornwall II"...so he will likely stick by his guns (until he either wakes up or they take longer to sell than he wants to wait)...he likely sees "somebody" who he knows nothing about, trying to get him to lower the price, instead of "somebody" trying to reason with him on what is perceived as too high of an asking price for what the "somebody" sees as the current average going price.  It is what it is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Well that makes sense although, in this case, we seemed to get through to the seller as he updated the listing.

OK, Happy meals all around. So you got thru to him and he changed his listing. How has that changed my life, your life or anyone else's?

Who cares? BTW, you have to disagree with people who actually worked at the factory building speakers and others who have built some amazing speakers. Maybe you should take that into consideration. But that's just my opinion, everyone has one just like a holes

Mark