Just picked up a Marantz 2220

KenazFilan

The right channel went out on my McIntosh MA6200: luckily it is still under McIntosh Audio's 2 year warranty and I'll be sending it back sometime this week.  I have three spare receivers lying around the apartment but they are all out of service for one reason or another.  And so I went to Craigslist: within 24 hours and $280 I was the proud owner of a just-serviced Marantz 2220.  

The first thing I noticed is how much oomph this little fellow has.  It's at least as loud as my MA6200, which is conservatively rated at 75 watts: both get to painful levels before the volume dial reaches 9 o'clock.  It also has a warm tubelike sound that reminds me very much of McIntosh.  It's not as velvety black silent on quiet passages and the MA6200 has more separation and a bit better soundstage.  But for around 1/6th the price the 2220 gives the McIntosh a decent run for its money.  I see now Marantz units command a premium for more than their quintessentially 70s styling.  If you're looking for something to pair with your Klipsches, I'd definitely recommend giving vintage Marantz equipment a look.

I have a 2220 as well. Found it several years ago on kijiji.

I believe they call them flea amps.

I think the full bandwidth amp and no compromise components make all the difference in sound quality.

I was so impressed with it that I just spent the money to get it re-capped when one of the channels developed a hiss.

• Like 1