Hi, new here, have a Heritage question

ScottR

8 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

It is in my opinion that "most people" would, "without a doubt" prefer the sound from an original Cornwall over a Heresy III. I base this on my own personal experience and from what I've gathered from other people's opinions about the two models over the years. Does that clear things up?

Sure, it clears it up, that it's your opinion, and your own supposed personal experience (have you listened to a pair of Heresy III's?  Ever owned a pair of Cornwalls?), and from "what you've gathered".....Absolutely that makes it "without a doubt"....I find it really odd that you would want to steer a new person on this forum toward a product based on a comparison that you say is "without a doubt",  yet in fact, you don't really know.  Are you the self appointed "most people" opinion on this forum?  No, and neither am I, but I try to ask questions, get information about a particular situation, listening habits, etc, before suggesting what might or might not fit.  I'm not saying that Cornwalls, or Khorns, or Heresy III's or anything else would sound better in Scott's listening space, but how about we listen first and provide guidance second.  People come here for help.  Not off the cuff suggestions.

4 hours ago, ricktate said:

My guess is you will get the Cornwalls and listen to them on your current set up and be happy as can be....then later maybe crossover upgrade. You do not NEED tubes.....but you just may want tubes. Not my place to say ,,,I would give your Nad a chance before throwing it out the back door.

You did not mention what you have now for speakers????

I'm running an NAD C315 over a pair of B&W 602 S2 with an Oppo 83se and Linn LP12 with an Ortofon OM20. It's a nice unobtrusive, small system. In fact my turntable hasn't been set up in 4 years but recently we decided I could get a good set up with a nice rack of gear and some great sound.

P.S.

Phonostage is an older Lehmann Black Cube.

Edited by ScottR

8 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Sure, it clears it up, that it's your opinion, and your own supposed personal experience (have you listened to a pair of Heresy III's?  Ever owned a pair of Cornwalls?), and from "what you've gathered".....Absolutely that makes it "without a doubt"....I find it really odd that you would want to steer a new person on this forum toward a product based on a comparison that you say is "without a doubt",  yet in fact, you don't really know.  Are you the self appointed "most people" opinion on this forum?  No, and neither am I, but I try to ask questions, get information about a particular situation, listening habits, etc, before suggesting what might or might not fit.  I'm not saying that Cornwalls, or Khorns, or Heresy III's or anything else would sound better in Scott's listening space, but how about we listen first and provide guidance second.  People come here for help.  Not off the cuff suggestions.

Last I checked I was entitled to and free to share my opinion. The OP asked for opinions and I gave him mine.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

You're just being a jerk, nobody could possibly "know" which speaker this guy would prefer. He asked for opinions on these two specific models and yes I have owned both and preferred the Cornwall's by a large margin and would recommend them over the H-III's to anyone who has the room for the larger speakers any day of the week.

13 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

You're just being a jerk, nobody could possibly "know" which speaker this guy would prefer. He asked for opinions on these two specific models and yes I have owned both and preferred the Cornwall's by a large margin and would recommend them over the H-III's to anyone who has the room for the larger speakers any day of the week.

Absolutely correct.  Thanks for clearing that up.

The Heresy IIIs sound really good, but for 2 channel music without a subwoofer, the Cornwalls will produce more bass and sound fuller. Klipschorns will fit nicely on the long wall of an 18' x 14' room, take just a little corner space and sound the most impressive of the three choices, if the room is good for the corner horn layout.

IMG_3191.JPG.621915f53ac8f2effd22d12216d3f864.JPG

• Moderators

What are the probabilities? 

Probably will greatly prefer Khorns over Cornwalls and will probably prefer CWS over HIIIs.

You are going from very good low sensitive speakers to very good, low distortion, high sensitivity speakers.  The horn loaded bass in the Khorns is what sets those apart from anything you have ever heard before.  Those on your long wall will soind mightily impressive, they will look great to.

What kinds of music do you generally listen to?

I think the Cornwall appeals to first time Klipsch people due to it's warmer tonal balance. I have 1981's with the early B2. I had some old Heresy but didn't really like the balance, but the III should be better, I've heard them but not in a good set up. I agree with earlier post that K horns fit in a room much better that Cornwall. Lots of speakers have come and gone at my place, but the corner horns stay until my kids clear the place out.

15 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

What are the probabilities? 

Probably will greatly prefer Khorns over Cornwalls and will probably prefer CWS over HIIIs.

You are going from very good low sensitive speakers to very good, low distortion, high sensitivity speakers.  The horn loaded bass in the Khorns is what sets those apart from anything you have ever heard before.  Those on your long wall will soind mightily impressive, they will look great to.

What kinds of music do you generally listen to?

Lots of classic and 80s rock. Jimmy Buffett to the Rolling Stones. Soundtrack LPs like Camelot and just about everything. Jazz and Spanish Guitar, Albums like Ella Fitzgerald Song Book and Al Di Meola. Even some classic music. I have quite a few original pressings of the RCA Living Stereo series. I just ordered the new pressing of Stevie Ray Vaughan The Sky is Crying from Acoustic Sounds. I'm really liking the looks of the Khorns and am entertaining the idea of making a push to get a pair but despite wanting a pair will probably end up with the Cornwalls. The new Forte 3 also looked pretty nice. Any idea when they are coming out? How they'll sound compared to a pair of Cornwalls?

I wanted Hiii's - couldn't rationalize the ~$2k last fall - my RB-81ii's, an Emotiva A-100 BAS-X 50 Wpc amp, and an Onkyo C-7030 CDP would have to suffice for my 11' x 12' x 9' office. Then I found a decent pair of '77 vintage Heresys on Craig's List. Topped the Jeep up and was off to get them. I happily paid him his $375 price - and briefly entertained the thought of buying his K-horns for $2k - a deal - but I came for Heresys. Christmas would have been sparse for my grandkids, had I sprung for the K-horns - I made the right choice - for me - love the Heresys. My original Emotiva a-100 mini-X amp is upstairs with the RB-81ii's and another C-7030 CDP. The newer Emo 50 Wpc amp has >110 dB S/N - and a headphone jack. The Heresys sound full - and have a musical bass - great for everything from Adele to Bonnie Raitt to HVK & Berlin Phil. playing Tchaikovsky... even Marc Cohn - sounds better than ever to my 68 year old ears. Scott  - just get a pair of Klipsch 'Heritage' speakers that you can afford and enjoy them!

John

I've been thru Heresy / Quartets / Forte / Chorus /  [LaScala / Cornwall / Belle] / Klipschorns. Please do yourself a favor and if your room even semi-matches the requirements go KHorns. If you do not have perfect 90 degree corners with a 17 x whatever room, investigate (with help here)  what can be done with enclosed backs or false corners.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ScottR said:

Lots of classic and 80s rock. Jimmy Buffett to the Rolling Stones. Soundtrack LPs like Camelot and just about everything. Jazz and Spanish Guitar, Albums like Ella Fitzgerald Song Book and Al Di Meola. Even some classic music. I have quite a few original pressings of the RCA Living Stereo series. I just ordered the new pressing of Stevie Ray Vaughan The Sky is Crying from Acoustic Sounds. I'm really liking the looks of the Khorns and am entertaining the idea of making a push to get a pair but despite wanting a pair will probably end up with the Cornwalls. The new Forte 3 also looked pretty nice. Any idea when they are coming out? How they'll sound compared to a pair of Cornwalls?

We have pretty similar musical tastes.  

The Forte III I have not heard personally, but some close friends have, they have CW3s at home.  You can ask @dtel or Christy and ask what they thought. They listened to close to final prototypes of Forte III and they said they loved them  However, I didn't ask them how they compared to their Cornwalls.  I am sure Dtel will add what he can.

10 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

We have pretty similar musical tastes.  

The Forte III I have not heard personally, but some close friends have, they have CW3s at home.  You can ask @dtel or Christy and ask what they thought. They listened to close to final prototypes of Forte III and they said they loved them  However, I didn't ask them how they compared to their Cornwalls.  I am sure Dtel will add what he can.

I am definitely gonna look at the Forte 3 when it comes out. I'm going on Friday to look at the Cornwalls. They want 800 for the pair. Mostly they just want them out of the house I think. I am bringing my NAD and Oppo to listen with since their son took all the electronics. Is there anything specific I should look for?