Pro Media 2.1 bluetooth issue

Dawny

One of my neighbors in my apartment has connected to my speakers and won't disconnect. I've gone around to all of them and none of them claim to be doing it. I cannot use my speakers at all because the speakers prioritize bluetooth over the audio jack connected to my computer. Is there any way to boot them off. I'm getting infuriated by this problem and I want it to end. I paid good money for speakers that I can no longer use. I'm about ready to dump them in the trash because of their shortcomings in security. Why did they make a speaker that has no security whatsoever....

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

I have a similar issue; I don't ever want my speakers using Bluetooth, but I haven't figured out a way to disable the Bluetooth radio.

Is there any sort of non-BT pre-amp I can purchase? Is there a way to bypass the pre-amp and use my own volume control? 

• Sad 1

• 8 months later...

Klipsch apparently refuses to address this issue and keeps selling this crappy Bluetooth. I didn't realize it was unsecure when I ordered it directly from them, and now they won't pay shipping on a return.

So given that their return policy apparently sucks anyway, I went ahead and voided the warranty by destroying the BT antenna on the control board. Maximum range is now about 15 feet.

I'd rather be able to just shut it off, but I don't know how the controller switches the signal, so I'm not willing to just disable the BT chip entirely in case everything stops working.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XAAAiVm25Sp4Z8ln2

• Sad 1

And I thought that I was the only one with this problem ......!!

It is really annoying that I cannot control the neighbor's "Bluetooth hijacking", there must be a solution to this issue, because when the speakers work, they are great ! 

BUT THE INABILITY TO CONTROL THE "BLUETOOTH HIJACKING" MAKES THIS GREAT PRODUCT A USELESS PIECE OF EQUIPMENT.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I am having the same problem, previously I used he other the same model but without blue tooth and it didn't give me any problem but now that I upgrade to this blue tooth version I got hijacked by some unknown neighbour

So what do I do now beside throwing the system away

I definitely would share this with my friends before they choose which audio system to buy

i am from Singapore

• 5 weeks later...

This is Oct. 2020 and I'm still having to unplug my speakers to allow the neighbors take over the bluetooth antenna that how can they overpower my speakers as if the bluetooth allowance is liking their speakers play over mine so f.... mine and let them have it. Still yet, the speakers aren't worth it any more to me. Anyone know of NON BLUETOOTH SPEAKERS ON THE MARKET EQUAL TO THESE OR GREATER THAT AGAIN ISN'T BLUETOOTH-BASED?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 9:30 AM, Plross22 said:

Wondering if anyone else was able to disable the Bluetooth antenna and if so do you have pics?  I just can't believe Klipsch has such a major design flaw and they are not fixing it.

I don't think they can fix it unless they replace it free of charge. I ended up taking apart the the volume control box under the right speaker and ripping off the chip for the antenna since I don't use the bluetooth.

klipschPM21.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 10/2/2020 at 6:16 PM, Andy Chang said:

I am having the same problem, previously I used he other the same model but without blue tooth and it didn't give me any problem but now that I upgrade to this blue tooth version I got hijacked by some unknown neighbour

So what do I do now beside throwing the system away

I definitely would share this with my friends before they choose which audio system to buy

i am from Singapore

Hey, I found a guy that can fix this and lucky for you he's in Singapore. https://www.carousell.sg/p/klipsch-promedia-2-1-repair-1004374851/

• 4 months later...

Hi, I have the same model and having been facing the same bluetooth hijacking issue. I have been debugging the circuit, and have identified the pins required by the bluetooth module. Although, I could not obtain the pinout for the module. Here are my findings so far. 

* I also removed the antenna capacitor, however, the bluetooth still functions without it. Although it might reduce range, my neighbors are still able to connect to it. 

Will update as soon as I have a fix. Best case scenario will be able to add a switch to either the power or control lines. 

klipschpromedia2.1_controlpod_circuit_bluetooth_module_pinout.jpg

• 10 months later...

Okay, I tested my hack and it works perfectly.

I was afraid of the floating or open contacts (whether they were pulled up or down) but looks like they are internally handled. 

Although intercepting the pink line is ideal, it doesn't disable the Bluetooth (and folks can still connect if you intercept that line).

So instead I recommend intercepting the "3.3v POWER" line (marked in red). This works perfectly, but unfortunately also disables the power LED indicator as a side effect

Instructions  (DISABLES  BLUETOOTH  PERMENANTLY)

Please turn off power to the speaker system and disconnect it from all devices before performing any invasive procedures.

- Use an exacto knife or blade to "precisely" cut the trace to the power line as shown in the diagram. 

Instructions  (ADDS  BLUETOOTH  ON/OFF  FUNCTIONALITY)

- Please turn off power to the speaker system and disconnect it from all devices before performing any invasive procedures.

- Use an exacto knife or blade to "precisely" cut the trace to the power line as indicated in the diagram. 

- Solder a switch either directly or using wire extensions to the 2 opened trace points. The switch needs to be a toggle switch, slide switch or latching switch (and NOT a momentary pushbutton switch). 

- The wires can exit the back of the circuit housing and the switch can be attached to the side of the casing.

WARNING : Please turn off power to the speaker system and disconnect it from all devices before performing any invasive procedures.

WARNING : Cutting the Bluetooth power line will also disable the POWER LED indicator.

WARNING : Do not cut any other traces, this procedure is permanent and not easily reversible. 

INFO :  To reverse the procedure, solder a wire between the two opened contacts. 

As an alternative. You can do this procedure on the trace indicated by the pink trace (as indicated in the previous post) which will preserve the power LED. But that will keep the BT always on and still hackable, but will only give you control over the audio channel priority (LINE-IN/AUX vs BT).

Bluetooth Fix Klipsch Promedia 2.1 BT.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yeah, and DO NOT CUT or REMOVE the antenna capacitor or trace. 

I tried that, and it DOES NOT WORK.

It only deteriorates the Bluetooth signal and reduces its range (but not enough), as my neighbors can still connect from wherever they want.

• 2 months later...
On 7/12/2022 at 7:26 AM, Tej said:

Oh yeah, and DO NOT CUT or REMOVE the antenna capacitor or trace. 

I tried that, and it DOES NOT WORK.

It only deteriorates the Bluetooth signal and reduces its range (but not enough), as my neighbors can still connect from wherever they want.

Tej, can you show pictures of your removed capacitor and antenna trace that had been cut?

I just want to reduce my bluetooth range and not disable it.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 5:12 PM, Tej said:

Okay, I tested my hack and it works perfectly.

I was afraid of the floating or open contacts (whether they were pulled up or down) but looks like they are internally handled. 

Although intercepting the pink line is ideal, it doesn't disable the Bluetooth (and folks can still connect if you intercept that line).

So instead I recommend intercepting the "3.3v POWER" line (marked in red). This works perfectly, but unfortunately also disables the power LED indicator as a side effect

Instructions  (DISABLES  BLUETOOTH  PERMENANTLY)

Please turn off power to the speaker system and disconnect it from all devices before performing any invasive procedures.

- Use an exacto knife or blade to "precisely" cut the trace to the power line as shown in the diagram. 

Instructions  (ADDS  BLUETOOTH  ON/OFF  FUNCTIONALITY)

- Please turn off power to the speaker system and disconnect it from all devices before performing any invasive procedures.

- Use an exacto knife or blade to "precisely" cut the trace to the power line as indicated in the diagram. 

- Solder a switch either directly or using wire extensions to the 2 opened trace points. The switch needs to be a toggle switch, slide switch or latching switch (and NOT a momentary pushbutton switch). 

- The wires can exit the back of the circuit housing and the switch can be attached to the side of the casing.

WARNING : Please turn off power to the speaker system and disconnect it from all devices before performing any invasive procedures.

WARNING : Cutting the Bluetooth power line will also disable the POWER LED indicator.

WARNING : Do not cut any other traces, this procedure is permanent and not easily reversible. 

INFO :  To reverse the procedure, solder a wire between the two opened contacts. 

As an alternative. You can do this procedure on the trace indicated by the pink trace (as indicated in the previous post) which will preserve the power LED. But that will keep the BT always on and still hackable, but will only give you control over the audio channel priority (LINE-IN/AUX vs BT).

Bluetooth Fix Klipsch Promedia 2.1 BT.jpg

My board looks different from  the one you have shown. I'm disappointed. I was hoping to fix this thing. Every time I walk away from the computer it goes into pairing mode. It's driving me nuts. Do you have any updated info for this board? I really want to turn off bluetooth.

klipsch audio board.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 4:09 AM, edp said:

My board looks different from  the one you have shown. I'm disappointed. I was hoping to fix this thing. Every time I walk away from the computer it goes into pairing mode. It's driving me nuts. Do you have any updated info for this board? I really want to turn off bluetooth.

klipsch audio board.jpg

It looks like your set uses a completely different chipset and module for the bluetooth. 

From what I can see, there are 2 voltage regulator chips on onboard. 1 of them should be 5V and the other 3.3V, the latter is the power source for the bluetooth module. If you have a multimeter, you can probably trace the connection to 3.3V and disconnect it. 

Good luck!