Got the Jubilee's, First time using active crossover, very lost!

AaronB123

I got the Jubilee's today, have them all hoked up and everything but I am extremely lost as to how to set up the active crossover. I got the Xilica XP-2040 because of very high praises from Chris A as well as amazing reviews on the internet. I have no idea how to set the crossovers though and I don't wanna risk damaging anything, I haven't even had a chance to listen to them yet! 

Any help would be hugely appreciated! 

• Like 3

Congratulations on getting your Jubilees. @Chris A will be the best person to guide you with the settings for your crossover. In the meantime, connect a USB cable from the Xilica to your PC, open the software and get familiar with the programming options. I also suggest that you label all your connector cables very clearly, so the woofer wires don't get mixed up with the tweeter wires, and leave the tweeters disconnected until you have everything else operating properly.

• Like 3

Khornukopia's  ideas will make it so much easier, I even labeled the top of my active xovers chassis top so when I looked over it I knew exactly where the plugs were going. You may want to discuss what amps you are using. Also being that you are using the Xilica xover I don't know if Roys settings would be plug and play, you may have to get the mics out. Good luck you will love them when you get it right.

• Like 1

Passive crossovers are actually much more difficult than digital crossovers - and they're not adjustable to your room's needs: they have to be redesigned to adjust crossover frequencies, filter sharpness, and balancing/EQ.

You're simply unfamiliar with digital crossovers: it takes maybe an hour of playing with one to get the hang of it, using your ears as the feedback mechanism--just like the old analog graphic equalizers (GEQs). 

A lot of angst before starting, however.  Same thing for personal computers when they first hit the scene--except they were many times more complicated to get running in the beginning (e.g., MS-DOS, etc.). 

Chris

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Passive crossovers are actually much more difficult than digital crossovers - and they're not adjustable to your room's needs: they have to be redesigned to adjust crossover frequencies, filter sharpness, and balancing/EQ.

You're simply unfamiliar with digital crossovers: it takes maybe an hour of playing with one to get the hang of it, using your ears as the feedback mechanism--just like the old analog graphic equalizers (GEQs). 

A lot of angst before starting, however.  Same thing for personal computers when they first hit the scene--except they were many times more complicated to get running in the beginning (e.g., MS-DOS, etc.). 

Chris

Ya, I'm definitely getting the hang of it. I couldn't have done it without all your help. All the info you sent me was incredible, it's definitely sounding a LOT better now! Well, I can tell ya up until now I had never had a speaker that can rattle the walls in my house with ease  without the use of a sub paired with them until now! 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ricktate said:

Can you post pic of connections for us. I looked up the unit but really don't understand the plug ins on it. I would like to investigate this more.

I'm not sure if you mean the connection behind the speaker or the amp but I'm not sure if you would even be able to really make out whats going on behind the amp because its a mess right now. I will try to explain though. Basically the bass bin has the option for bi amping too which when I saw that I got a little nervous because I don't have the equipment for that but I spoke with Cory and he said just use a jumper which after looking I saw it actually came with one pre installed. 

What I did was run the bass bin and the 402 horn to their own individial channels then basically what you do is take the L and R output from your processor and put it through the crossover and it will give you 2 outputs, one for the highs and one for the lows. Then you hook those into their own channel on your amp so basically in order to do this your going to need 2 additional channels (4 channels to run your mains). The biggest thing though is to make sure you know which output on the crossover is going to which part of the speaker otherwise it can get very confusing and you can end up sending the highs to the woofer and vice versa which I'm sure can lead to driver damage. 

What I did was write everything down and double and then triple check to make sure I had everything right.