Got the Jubilee's, First time using active crossover, very lost!

AaronB123

8 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I know this is a little late to be asking this, but could you identify the compression drivers that you now have on the K-402s?

From what I understand that's one of their better offerings isn't it? Also out of curiosity I see you've got the real high end driver that everyone raves about. Where do you buy that? 

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

Where do you buy that?

I think they are stored on a saddle carried by unicorns. 

They are that hard to find at times, and extremely expensive, well to me at least, guessing from memory about half the price of jubes. :blink2:

If I am wrong Chris can straighten my memory out, it's been years. :emotion-21:

I heard them and yes they are very good, but my wallet couldn't handle it, all wallets are created different.

I stuck with the standard K-69-A driver

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

Where do you buy that?

I bought them new from a third party in 2009.  They weren't cheap then and that model (TD-4002) has since been discontinued by TAD due to the price rise and unavailability of source Neodymium magnet material.  Most people would use the TD-4001s (Alnico magnets at 2x the overall weight of the 4002s) nowadays if they were looking to buy new. 

From time to time, there are used TD-4002s that come up on the market, but I'd be careful.  Many of these used drivers were in commercial applications where they were heavily driven and might have diaphragm damage or partially annealed magnets.

Chris

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

Is it bad to have the xilica sitting right on top of my AVP like that?

I've monitored temps nothing really even gets warm. 

I would at least use some stick on feet if there are vents blocked off from air circulation/convection.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

What is an annealed magnet?  I know what it is in the context of glass or metal.  Is there any way to test for this, other than comparing something like a reference sweep to the sweep of the driver being considered?

An annealed Neodymium magnet is one that has been heated above its Curie point (about 500-600 F) and has lost some or most of its permanent magnetic field.  It can only do that if the voice coil gets red hot and stays hot for a few minutes or longer.  (This is a considerably lower Curie point temperature than a Alnico magnet.)

You'll need a magnetic field strength meter that can check acoustic driver permanent magnet field strengths, such as a Gauss meter.

Chris

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AaronB123 said:

Is it bad to have the xilica sitting right on top of my AVP like that?

I wouldn't worry about the heat on the Xilica crossover shown in that picture unless it gets too hot to touch the AVP top when it's been on for several hours.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Chris A said:

An annealed Neodymium magnet is one that has been heated above its Curie point (about 500-600 F) and has lost some or most of its permanent magnetic field.  It can only do that if the voice coil gets red hot and stays hot for a few minutes or longer.  (This is a considerably lower Curie point temperature than a Alnico magnet.)

You'll need a magnetic field strength meter that can check acoustic driver permanent magnet field strengths, such as a Gauss meter.

Chris

Thanks.  

Just now, Speed said:

I've been looking and the only drivers offered are, the K-69A and the BNC 75DE. ( From Cinequip, in Portland OR. ) What is the K-691 ? I would prefer to avoid titanium... 

The K-691 is the driver I got from Klipsch, so far I really love it! I don't think it's the stock one that comes with it though I think it's an upgrade from the stock.