Got the Jubilee's, First time using active crossover, very lost!

AaronB123

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AaronB123 said:

I swear this is the last piece of audio gear I'm buying for a very long time! 

I would think you have that covered now, Congratulations !

1 hour ago, AaronB123 said:

I can tell ya up until now I had never had a speaker that can rattle the walls in my house with ease  without the use of a sub paired with them until now! 

That's funny, and true, they can put out some energy. To me the best part is the quality, and how large and open the sound is, it's huge and fills any room. 

13 minutes ago, ricktate said:

Actually was asking about the crossover connection,,,,looked like round 3 prong connector. I'm sure its probably simple but I never messed those type before. I'm guessing they are pro type connectors . How did you convert them to regular connectors?

Ya, those are XLR connectors. My processor has them as well as my amp. If you don't have them on your processor to be honest I'm not exactly sure how to go about it but there's gotta be adapters. 

20 minutes ago, ricktate said:

Actually was asking about the crossover connection,,,,looked like round 3 prong connector. I'm sure its probably simple but I never messed those type before. I'm guessing they are pro type connectors . How did you convert them to regular connectors?

See:

and

Chris

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grizzog said:

So how do they sound??

They sound great, much bigger soundstage than the Klipschorns which is what I was looking for and another thing I noticed is with the Jubilee's it's amazing how everything sounds like it's right in front of you. With the K-horns (this did get better with my Emotiva processor as opposed to the marantz but was still a little apparant) you can tell which speaker is playing which instrument. I do think though with more adjustment I can probably get them sounding better. I still haven't even ran the room correction software yet because I am waiting on the wires to hook up all the rest of the channels which are scheduled for delivery today. 

I just prefer to wait so I don't need to run it all again. I am curious though, I have heard a lot of people say they prefer 2 way over 3 way because it integrates more seamlessly. The way I mentioned that it just really makes everything seem in front of you so much more and you can't tell what instrument is coming from which speaker, is that what they mean?

2 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

I have heard a lot of people say they prefer 2 way over 3 way because it integrates more seamlessly. The way I mentioned that it just really makes everything seem in front of you so much more and you can't tell what instrument is coming from which speaker, is that what they mean?

That is mostly because the crossover frequencies don't appear in critical areas. 

I think not being able to place instruments coming from one or the other speaker may have to do with the music or where the microphones were placed and the way the music was blended. My jubs image nicely and I can often tell which speaker is playing what, even in the sweet spot where everything is right in front of you. I would throw on a sterophile test cd, if you have the one that checks phase, and has the guy beating on a pan in a church, these tracks can help. Good luck!!!

36 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

I am curious though, I have heard a lot of people say they prefer 2 way over 3 way because it integrates more seamlessly. The way I mentioned that it just really makes everything seem in front of you so much more and you can't tell what instrument is coming from which speaker, is that what they mean?

In general I prefer two-way over 3-way, but I would qualify that.  I prefer to have TWO higher quality drivers instead of three less high-quality drivers, compared dollars to dollars.

I would think a very well designed 3-way would beat a lower cost 2-way, that's why I find it hard to make a blanket statement that covers all 2-ways vs all 3-ways.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AaronB123 said:

Ya, those are XLR connectors. My processor has them as well as my amp. If you don't have them on your processor to be honest I'm not exactly sure how to go about it but there's gotta be adapters. 

They make XLR to RCA and they work well, I use some.

https://www.monoprice.com/search/index/?category_1=Pro Audio Series&keyword=xlr to rca

Problem I was having is i use a EV Dx-38, it is XLR, the DAC I feed it with also has XLR and this is how I had it connected at first. Problem was the Dx 38 is pro, the DAC is consumer, the voltage difference was so much it would only light up the bottom inputs on the DX no matter the volume. Voltage difference is common between consumer and pro. 

Against some advice saying it would add noise I tried it anyway since it is $65, the ART  Cleanbox pro worked perfectly for me, no noise or any other change except for what it does. It has a volume knob to adjust the voltage up from the DAC to the DX, now I have all the lights working right up under the red clipping lights. This is how the DX shoul bd fed, not underfed and trying to make up for it by pushing the amps.

For $65 and doing exactly what was need to fix my problem it's perfect. The sound is improved since the DX is getting a full signal, really improved especially at lower volumes.

This is where the XLR to RCA came in, thought I would add the cleanbox story since more people are going active with pro crossovers. The ART Cleanbox pro worked great for me.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CleanBoxPro?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=art_cleanbox&creative=12353302382&device=c&matchtype=p

It really is amazing to find a speaker that makes the La Scala's seem like they have a small soundstage! As I said the bass on these things is absoutely insane! The more I hear them and dial in the sound. Then I had the settings on the active all wrong and I was only getting one channel of audio which thanks to @Chris A I've fixed. It sounds much fuller and more balanced now. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, AaronB123 said:

Then I had the settings on the active all wrong and I was only getting one channel of audio which thanks to @Chris A I've fixed. It sounds much fuller and more balanced now. 

Yea stereo is better :o but think if the $ you could have save just going with one speaker, then the problem of which channel to pick ? 

Sorry couldn't help it.........your going to be a happy camper, they really are amazing, all BS aside, I know it's said about many things but your starting to see/hear it for yourself.  B)

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Chris A said:

I know this is a little late to be asking this, but could you identify the compression drivers that you now have on the K-402s?

Good question, just to be safe, someone once got the wrong one one time.