Got the Jubilee's, First time using active crossover, very lost!

AaronB123

Yes, the Dx38 is a solid digital crossover.  With a short learning curve, it is easily programmed without using a PC only using the front panel screen.  I've found it to be easy to program without anything else.

The Dx38 manual is available in pdf format online

There's also a PC-based application (RACE) to program it, but it requires a Ethernet connection (IP address, etc.) so I've never used it (...I hate messing with getting the IP addresses set up).  I'm sure that Richard (Coytee) or others have used the PC-based Dx38 application.

Chris

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Yes, the Dx38 is a solid digital crossover.  With a short learning curve, it is easily programmed without using a PC only using the front panel screen.  I've found it to be easy to program without anything else.

The Dx38 manual is available in pdf format online

There's also a PC-based application (RACE) to program it, but it requires a Ethernet connection (IP address, etc.) so I've never used it (...I hate messing with getting the IP addresses set up).  I'm sure that Richard (Coytee) or others have used the PC-based Dx38 application.

Chris

Thanks ! I need a user friendly one, since I'm technologically, and patience challenged. 

6 hours ago, Speed said:

Would the EV DX 38 active, still be a good choice for 2 way Jubilee's ? Easy to get set up for a technically challenged beginner ? I have seen some used ones selling for reasonable prices...

What would you call a reasonable price?

I only ask as I just switched to a brand new Xilica XP4080 and have a used Dx38 siting on my shelf.

?

6 minutes ago, HPower said:

What would you call a reasonable price?

I only ask as I just switched to a brand new Xilica XP4080 and have a used Dx38 siting on my shelf.

?

A  new ( never used ) one on ebay just ended at $525 , and didn't sell. A couple others are in the $225-$305 range, still active. Other members might have better knowledge than I. Seems Xilica is the most popular now, and Dx38 values are dropping. I'm just watching until I get my Jubilee's...

I cannot compare the 2 as I bought the Dx38 about 10 months ago when I 1st started dreaming about building either MWMs or Jubs.

3 weeks or so ago when I put the finishing touches on my Jub "like" cabinets, I put the Dx into the system and I had trouble navigating the set up.

This coincided with all the recent Jubilee talk here along with the Xilica talk.

Long story short, I shoved the EV aside and bought a brand new XP4080.

As I looked into Xilica, I realized they are a Canadian company based out of Stouffvile, Ontario about 1/2 hour from where I live.

I decided to go with some home cooking .

With a ton of help from Chris A, I am VERY satisfied with how things are sounding!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chris A said:

All you need is a serial cable if I recall.  My Dx has no Ethernet ports at all.  

If anyone is debating on using a Dx, I'm here to tell you it's not tough.  Although I think it's easier (faster) to do it via the RACE program, there are some shortcuts.  If you are in a certain channel and want to put the SAME feature in another channel, all you have to do is punch the (output) button that you want to modify and it will jump to that channel, to that feature you are working on. (thank you DocWho!)

Typing in names via front panel is a REAL pain in the hiney....this is where a keyboard will save you a lot of time.

If someone has a PC or laptop with a serial port, they should be able to connect to the Dx.

I thought the RS-232 was to (essentially) link another DX in the chain so you could control both of them from the PC.

All I did was move the serial cable over.

Though I have since evolved to just using the front panel

On 2/22/2017 at 11:33 PM, AaronB123 said:

Absolutely amazing! They are extremely revealing though, I think even moreso than the K-horns. I'm not sure if everyone is aware or not but I use my computer as my main audio source and have a lot of mp3's that I use and I've found since getting these I'm going back and ripping everything in lossless wav format otherwise you can hear every imperfection. Well worth it though! 

You should re-rip everything to lossless. Storage is so cheap these days that you should only be listening to music that is digitally identical to what is on the disc.

One other option for a digital crossover is AudioVero's Acourate. There is a Yahoo Groups forum you can request to join and the designer of the software is very active and helpful. Recording engineer MitchB wrote two detailed entries about it here and here.

(No affiliation with the software/designer)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blvdre said:

usb to rs 232 adapters are cheap and transparent to use. Just load the driver, and you're good to go.

Absolutely! Used them to connect to routers and switches all the time.

Bruce

All the angst over punching in the settings on the front panel of the Dx38s is clearly overblown.  The Dx38 really is easy to program from the front panel.  The only issue is really visibility of settings when you're using a lot of PEQs and shelf filters, so that you're not setting up filters to fight each other inadvertently.  If you're using REW to set up the PEQs, then this isn't an issue, since you have REW to perform that visibility function and, most importantly, optimization of PEQs.

Xilica really does need the XConsole application, however.  It apparently runs on both Windows and on Mac OS.

• Like 2

"Xilica really does need the Console application, however.  It apparently runs on both Windows and on Mac OS."

Yes, Guy!!!

I was baffled by the Dx, the Xilica had me in the same position.

I am strictly an Apple user and found interfacing with my Mac Mini (music server) very cumbersome, fortunately I came across a

link on the Xilica web page:

http://xilica.com/products/xpanel-controls/

See the first link under "Downloads" on the right of page.

This, along with all of Chris' s help made the calibration and set up relatively easy for a "luddite" like myself.