Klipsch Cornwall Question

BamaMike

So i picked up some Cornwalls a couple weeks ago. Missing tweeters and one woofer. Had a spare woofer laying around. Ordered Crites CT-120 and installed. My first impression was they lacked the detail of my La Scala. I am running them in tandem with my La Scalas so this is a "side by side comparison". Coincidentally, the La Scala and the Cornwalls are "U"... 1980 models. La Scala is AA crossover and the Cornwall is the B crossover.

A good audio friend of mine came over and we recapped the crossovers real quick last Saturday. Swapping the 4 uF for a 3 (I believe) and he tweaked my parametric a tad (400hz +3db) and they definitely sound better but when run together with the La Scalas I find that I'm not too crazy about them (the Cornwalls).

I'm curious about suggested mods for the Cornwalls? I have a 2nd pair of La Scala that will get the bass bin mod AND custom crossovers a la my friend who's La Scalas completely blow me away.

In the long run, I picture a La Scala in all four corners (!) and the Cornwalls in my den. 

Thoughts, suggestions welcome. Is this how the Cornscala came to be?!?

20170204_164459.jpg

What specifically is it that you are not pleased with?  You said they "lacked the detail" of your La Scala's....As you know, totally different animals....You may just prefer the presence that the La Scala's provide, and virtually no amount of mods or "upgrades" are going to change that.  IMHO of course....

Maybe I'm spoiled by the La Scalas. Listening to Etta James and her voice was a little harsh on the Cornwalls. Also seemed like some detail was missing between the lows and mids. My ear is not good enough for me to describe in detail so I'm just wondering what others have thought of their Cornwalls.. What the did and did not like and what type of mods are typically done to the early Cornwalls.

I have Heresy, La Scala and Cornwall all in the same room which makes comparison easy. I love my Heresy. I have two pair.

20170114_132847.jpeg

^^^^^

I think 'Bo is right. iMHO also the comparison between Corns and LS are far and wide. When I owned both and would rotate in one for another I actually thought something was amiss with the Corns after a few weeks with LS. So much so that I pulled the nearly new crossovers and sent them to Crites fearing something was wrong. They were spot on. To my ears Corns are slow, recessed, slow, far less precise. Less bass of course but the bass provided is hard to beat. Just looking at the difference in mid horns should be the first tip off. 

38 minutes ago, Budman said:

you could buy these Cornwall ALK's and put them in from Aleathia Audio

cornwall alk's.jpg

Wow.

I plan to build my own... or rather my wife will build. She's the electronics guru. The Cornwalls will get a good "listenin' to" whilst I build my project La Scalas.

20170212_122840.jpg

I have had four pairs of Cornwall's. Three pairs of Cornwall 1's (two '84's and a '79) and a pair of Cornwall 2's ('86's).

I didn't start out to acquire so many. They are rare and as they came up I grabbed them before they were gone. Knowing full well I could get my money back when I figured out which one(s) I wanted to keep.

The first pair of Cornwall's that went were '79's with the B crossover. Compared to my '84's with the B-3 crossover I couldn't justify keeping them.

There was that much of a difference.

Of the two pairs of 84's, one became 2-way Cornscala's and the other will likely wind up at a buddy's place.

I am keeping the Cornwall 2's.

Next pair of LaScala's that comes up will be on my short list.

The B crossover doesn't do Cornwall's any favours.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, geoff. said:

I have had four pairs of Cornwall's. Three pairs of Cornwall 1's (two '84's and a '79) and a pair of Cornwall 2's ('86's).

I didn't start out to acquire so many. They are rare and as they came up I grabbed them before they were gone. Knowing full well I could get my money back when I figured out which one(s) I wanted to keep.

The first pair of Cornwall's that went were '79's with the B crossover. Compared to my '84's with the B-3 crossover I couldn't justify keeping them.

There was that much of a difference.

Of the two pairs of 84's, one became 2-way Cornscala's and the other will likely wind up at a buddy's place.

I am keeping the Cornwall 2's.

Next pair of LaScala's that comes up will be on my short list.

The B crossover doesn't do Cornwall's any favours.

Thanks for the input. This is the kind of feedback I am looking for.