Underwhelmed by Dolby Atmos

Darqman

I just added two height speakers (RP-140sa) on top of my RP-280's (5.1.2).  I'm using a Denon x4200w receiver and pretty sure I have it configured correctly.  My ceiling is about 8 foot and it's completely flat drywall. The 4 walls and floor are all acoustically treated. When I watch a Dolby Atmos sample file I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed.  I definitely don't get any sound coming from above like I expected, it just sounds like sound coming from the top of the front speakers.  I was expecting sound to appear from above but I'm not getting that at all. Before I decide to use the new height speakers as rear surrounds (7.1) I thought I'd ask here as I may be missing something simple. Thanks!

The sounds coming from above are very subtle and not the major point  of Dolby Atmos.  The main objective of Atmos is to change the panning  of sound from discrete channels to an object based presentation.  Some movies are better for above sounds than others.  It is possible that with the modules on the speaker and you seating distance is the reason you are missing the effect.  A better location may be on top of the surround if they are floor standing speakers.  Future placement of in-ceiling may also be a consideration.

I'm using the same atmos enabled speakers on top of my mains. I started with just one pair like you and I was somewhat impressed, nothing major. When I added a second pair on top of my side surrounds, that's when I was really impressed with demo scenes. Like Derrick said, they are subtle effects, but it's noticeable.

Darqman, I think (not sure) the Atmos sound is supposed to be "ambience."  Is it possible your expectations are different from what Atmos sound actually is?  That's an open question, I really don't know the answer.

+++

Did you use your room correction?  Again, I am not an Atmos person, just wondering on your behalf.  B)

+++

Edit:  I just read what dtr20 commented ^^^.  That's the guy who would have better answers for you, not me.

Thanks for all the feedback.

@wvu80 I think my expectations may have been set too high, but I'm not giving up just yet.  I haven't tried any room correction, but that is something to try. 

@dtr20 I would love to add another pair of height speaker but my RP-250s and are wall mounted.  I don't have any place to put another pair unless I decide to go into the ceiling which might be an option later.

@derrickdj1 My front row of seats is about 8 feet from the screen. I have all the angles of the speaks set according to the Dolby specification or at least as close as I could get. I think I need to watch a complete movie with it before I decide instead of just watching the demo clips. I found "Gravity" on the list of Dolby Atmos enabled Blurays but when I play that disk there's no option to setup audio from the main bluray menu. Is it possible my copy just doesn't have the Atmos audio track? Or is the Atmos track built into the regular Dolby track?  If I buy a Bluray that I know is supposed to be an Atmos enabled title will it have "Dolby Atmos" anywhere on the front or back of the jacket? I apologize if these are silly questions, I just am not sure.

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Darqman said:

I think my expectations may have been set too high, but I'm not giving up just yet.  I haven't tried any room correction, but that is something to try. 

I was too brief in my previous answer.  I meant have you run Audyssey or whatever room correction software is built into your AVR.  That might set your Atmos enabled speakers to the proper levels

Sorry for the confusion. 

I have found that it depends greatly on the mix, but it's not quite as magical as I expected, either.  In many movies and most of the Atmos demos (which are free on Vudu, btw, in DD+ Atmos format) it's pretty subtle and mostly for ambience (e.g. winds on Everest and rain in John Wick).  Something like the first 5 minutes or so of the Diamond version of Gravity or the opening of Mad Max: Fury Road really show it off, however with voices panning or coming from all over the room.  Terminator Genisys is a great mix as well, but so far Gravity seems to be the best.  The Dolby Surround processing works surprisingly well, too, on 5.1 - 7.1 soundtracks.  I usually prefer a straight decode, but Dolby Surround mode really does a great job.

As for noticing them coming from the front, try using a handheld SPL if you haven't already.  If the channels are too loud, you'll definitely notice them and the auto-EQ doesn't seem to do a great job with that.  If you don't have one, the Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Measurement Microphone and an app like AudioTool for Android or AudioTools for iPhone work pretty well.  I just picked one up and it's amazing what a $25 mic and your phone can do these days...

Ultimately, however, it seems to be one of those things where you don't really notice it until it's not there, even going from 7.1.2 to 7.1.

• Like 1

Darqman I have about the same set up you do and I get the same results. I was hoping to hear all kinds of cool stuff coming from heaven but in reality it seems that these just elongate the sound image. I have heard that there is usually vertical encoding buried in a lot of movies. I'm going to try hanging them on the front wall pointing downward. I bought a G16 to use as an a overhead/ middle top  spkr ( I didn't want to cut a hole in the ceilings). 

@mitchibo - I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with these results.  I'm not against cutting holes in my ceiling as my theater is dedicated, but since you mentioned it, I may try hanging them behind my acoustically transparent screen about 1/4 from the top near the outer edges.  Dolby may have specifications, but nothing says you have to follow them. :-) 

I'd really like to hear how this works for you. While I use Audessey to calibrate things it still seems like there is going to be natural dampening for Atmos spkr's as they bounce off drywall ceilings. Logic tells me that they can be turned vertical, hung up (they have a mounting hole for this purpose) on the wall, pointing at your ears and the calibration mike. I wouldn't imagine there is a lot of specific engineering here; they are after all just height spkr's for those of us who can't have wall or ceiling spkr's. Right?

12 hours ago, Mitchibo said:

I'd really like to hear how this works for you. While I use Audessey to calibrate things it still seems like there is going to be natural dampening for Atmos spkr's as they bounce off drywall ceilings. Logic tells me that they can be turned vertical, hung up (they have a mounting hole for this purpose) on the wall, pointing at your ears and the calibration mike. I wouldn't imagine there is a lot of specific engineering here; they are after all just height spkr's for those of us who can't have wall or ceiling spkr's. Right?

They're designed to be used that way, which is why they have the mounting hole.  I have them mounted that way for my side and back surround channels, actually, and it works quite well.

• Like 2

On 2/14/2017 at 8:49 PM, Darqman said:

I just added two height speakers (RP-140sa) on top of my RP-280's (5.1.2).

it just sounds like sound coming from the top of the front speakers.  

Two just isn't going to do the job, this is a recurring theme, I try to push everybody to four.  If possible, the built in ones on the  RP-280FA's work better in terms of localization.  The 280-FA's have them embedded in a foam lined enclosure and just don't have this same side effect.  

The easiest way to see what Atmos is doing is to watch a movie in Atmos and then watch it with the Legacy format like DTS mastered or True DD.  I get a lot of over head sounds from my 9.2.2 setup because the Surround and  SB speakers are elevated higher than the listener.