Just a horn for KG4 center channel?

JonMustang

I posted a while back about a looking for a good center channel for a couple KG4s. Good replies in there, but most people said that a third KG4 was the best center of all.

In my challenging room, I find that there's a dead-spot in the center and so vocals sound wide and poorly-defined. A third KG4 would just be too awkward in the room, so I'm wondering if I could just wire up the horn from a KG4 to tighten up the soundstage. 

With a custom crossover, would I be getting much out of a center horn, like vocal detail and better imaging? Or are horn tweeters only producing very high frequencies, like the crispness of cymbals and such?

Get yourself a single kg .5, 1.5, 1.2, or whatever, and you're good. You could try buying a just a horn and building a cheap high-pass filter. I don't think cabinet size will be critical. There are web sites that will show you how.

I built a simple second-order high-pass filter for some satellite speakers using info found online and it worked fine.

Sounds like it would be  a fun experiment. If you pull it off, don't forget to post your pride and joy!