Protect young people

DizRotus

As a Spartan, I am again ashamed of the actions of my alma mater.  My wife, also an alumna, is so ashamed she de-Spartaned her car.

http://detroitnews.mi.newsmemory.com/?publink=11d5f69f5

Since the beginning of this mess I have sent emails to now disgraced president Simon, trustees, and now gone interim president Engler — what an embarrassment he was.  MSU’s handling of this tragedy has made Penn State look stellar by comparison.

My main complaint has been the total lack of transparency and objectivity.  For years I urged Simon to demand an outside investigation.  It was absurd to think the MSU Campus Cops could properly investigate their employers.

They just don’t get the need to avoid even the slightest appearance of impropriety.  The recent selection of Theresa Sullivan, as the director of the search team for a new president, is further evidence of the University’s cluelessness.  As the former president of The University of Virginia, Ms. Sullivan is highly qualified for the task, but for one thing . . . she graduated from MSU.  

Terry and I were classmates in the initial class of James Madison College, a small residential college within the university. She is intelligent, honorable, perfectly trained for her responsibility, and has the experience needed, but, IMO, as a Spartan, she should be disqualified, so as to avoid even the slightest appearance of impropriety.

It ain’t the crime, it’s the coverup.  Just ask Martha Stewart, Richard Nixon, et al.