Protect young people

DizRotus

6 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I think you're right. For a rendering to match that well, not just a coincidence.

I wonder if the authorities were just playing it cool with this guy, maybe a lack of evidence. Probably can't jump on him too quickly, watch him and try to connect him to the murders. I can't imagine what the families are going through.

I wonder if one of the girls didn't get a better pic.

To draw that rendering off of the grainy pic they showed the public would have been difficult.

Plus they have his voice on the video. Cant they compare that with his voice?

5 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Does anyone think the young man in the photo looks 20 years younger than the man portrayed in the sketch?

Yes it does. That doesn't seem to be his current pic. Possibly an older arrest pic is my guess.

On 2/15/2017 at 5:38 AM, DizRotus said:

DO NOT PERMIT ADULTS TO BE ALONE WITH YOUNG PEOPLE.

Virtually impossible. Every school day all over the world school bus drivers are alone with children at least twice a day. Educators are in the same boat. Actually everybody that uses a public bathroom can have a child walk in on them for a one on one.  Even children that have already been abused are alone in child abuse therapy sessions every day. My wife is a advocate for abused children by profession. There really is no doing what you suggest. We haven't even touched the fact that there are WAY too many single parents out there that have to have help with their kids. 

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:38 AM, DizRotus said:

...Rsponsible adults must be alert to even the possibility of abusive situations.  The innocence we enjoyed, somewhat naively, in the 50s and 60s should be long dead.  DO NOT PERMIT ADULTS TO BE ALONE WITH YOUNG PEOPLE.

Really good Public Service Announcement and one that should be heeded with appropriate caveats. 

Any adult who permits one on one unwitnessed contact between another adult and a minor is ignoring a serious red flag.  Any adult who allows himself, or herself, to have one on one unwitnessed contact with a minor is a fool, a predator, or both.

I can just hear the, "Yes but . . . " replies.  Yes there are situations that are exceptions to the rule, but be alert...

Too many parents don't understand that it's not only strangers they should be concerned  and should definitely question any that are actually lobbying to be alone with their child as you say below:

As responsible adults, we must seriously question any situation where an adult is eager, or even merely willing, to be in a potentially compromising situation with a lone minor.  The potential for harm is too real.  Unfortunately, we must be cynical regarding people we used to trust: clergy, teachers, coaches, doctors and even Uncle Fred.  We must protect those unable to protect themselves.

Yep! I have been working with Children for 40 years and admit I didn't think about it until I realized that the child isn't the only one in danger. Of course, nothing bad happened, but then again once an allegation is made there IS NO GOOD OUTCOME FOR THE ADULT. Over the years several people I have known have been accused of various things and once accused no one looks at them the same. Anyone who works with kids must have a SOP and that all subordinates under them understands there is no gray area because of the ramifications. Yes. I trust the folks I have but am in no position to guarantee that I know everything about them.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 12:10 PM, -js- said:

IDK.  and I'm not sure it matters that much WHAT the difference between then & now is, except where it applies to vigilance NOW, taking proper precautions NOW & going forward

as I am trying to teach my 14 y/o son, who's had his share of minor issues re school behavior & claims he's falsely accused (aren't they all?)  if you don't want to be accused, then you need to take EVERY precaution against even the APPEARANCE of impropriety.  that would keep you above reproach...

EXACTLY and imo, what has changed is that children shouldn't be taught to respect adults, just because they are adults and the concept of "love" in some religions can lead to bad situations.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:10 AM, Jeff Matthews said:

What surprised me is that he lasted as long as he did.  150 girls before any spoke up.  Wow!

This is something that always boggles my mind when these things come up. 1) How can a person in authority have so much disregard for another human being, much less a child? 2) How can they justify their behavior to themselves? 3) Parents should develop an honest personal relationship with their child...I've seen too many parents not have an open dialog and instead use language that alienates their child and that leads to "secrets." 

All that being said, it is weird/disheartening to see how long these situations last and how many people can be involved--I do think the dynamics are changing with people coming forward and different avenues to question and bring these incidents to light.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, dmb12679 said:

Shows you the amount of control the abuser has.  It's sickening to think that it is possible to have that kind of power over individuals for that long.  

Ahh it was Dr. Phil, glad he brought it to the forefront.  20 years ago this would have national news for weeks, now it barely gets past the local news. 

Ha! I got you beat. I was fortunate that in the early days I didn't have to go to work until noon. That gave me time to watch morning television and I found out how weird folks were by watching The Phil Donohue Show--That was the first time I heard the statistic of 1 in 4 boys and 3 in 4 girls had to deal with an abusive situation--From that day on it became part of what I was on the lookout for and cautioned folks who appeared to be vulnerable. 

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, dmb12679 said:

Society(me included) is getting numb to this stuff.  Columbine was across the news for months.  Did you know there have been 11 school shootings in the US since schools were re-opened after X-mas break.  11 in 2.5-3 weeks.  It's crazy out there, and I'm nervous for both my children and what they will have to encounter throughout their lives, and how desensitized they will become to what will be considered normal.

Yep. I have an opinion on this as well, but....

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

DO NOT PERMIT ADULTS TO BE ALONE WITH YOUNG PEOPLE.

Virtually impossible.

I also agree that it can't be as carte blanc as the all caps denote--That said, it's a good rule to start with and parents should be aware that in situations where it may can not be avoided precautions and effective communication between all parties is conveyed and agreed to.

2 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

there's not enough being done..

to protect the children....

my local c.p.s....wont do a thing

till after the fact....

This is a catch-22 for our society. Everyone has a right to raise their children as they see fit and most parents don't want an outside entity telling them what is right or wrong... Too many incidents where folks who care about other people's children end up being (or looking like) they are the bad guy.

1 minute ago, Zen Traveler said:

This is a catch-22 for our society. Everyone has a right to raise their children as they see fit and most parents don't want an outside entity telling them what is right or wrong... Too many incidents where folks who care about other people's children end up being (or looking like) they are the bad guy.

my daughter was verbly abused and hit..by her mom back in November...

She was so frightened..she had to

call my father.....

I had to leave work...after she called.me there ( mom )...and 

abused me on the phone...

had to call 911... they did not do a 

thing either...

So the next day...my daughter told

the teacher..and c.p.s...  got involved..

you should of heard the message..

on my father answering machine..

just the fear in her voice...

and mom in the background screaming like a lunatic....

Cps told me it's my problem...

All this referencing to "parents", like they are the golden standard.

21 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Everyone has a right to raise their children as they see fit

No they do not!  Way too often it IS the parents that's doing the abusing. Watched the news lately? 13 children starving to death at the hands of their parents. Amazingly, I do still believe that most people are good and do the right thing.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

To be honest with you, they probably have much bigger fish to fry. 5 year olds with cigarette burns covering their bodies, and mothers prostituting their under 5 year olds quickly come to mind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JL Sargent said:

To be honest with you, they probably have much bigger fish to fry. 5 year olds with cigarette burns covering their bodies, and mothers prostituting their under 5 year olds quickly come to mind.

and giving my daughter 's ssi money

away...to her drug addict son...

who abuses her mother in front of 

her....

and yes I understand your point...

but stand in my shoes..

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

I believe you. That said, I can only imagine the TON of cases CPS has to deal with and their SOP they must deal with is: 

33 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

This is a catch-22 for our society. Everyone has a right to raise their children as they see fit and most parents don't want an outside entity telling them what is right or wrong...

and why I  put the caveat before it. When it comes to a divorce situation then I really feel for what those CPS in the field have to go through.

13 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

No they do not!  Way too often it IS the parents that's doing the abusing. 

Oh, Believe me, I understand and totally agree with you. Otoh, realize that when you work with a lot of families there are a quite a few things you ''suspect' but once you act you'd better be right because look what dirtmudd said about his situation above.  

13 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

Watched the news lately? 13 children starving to death at the hands of their parents. Amazingly, I do still believe that most people are good and do the right thing.

Okay. I haven't clicked on the links but am aware of the situation. WAY too weird and noticeable not to realize something wicked was going on but just like the shootings, most are individual incidents and mass crazy shit happens and there is no public agreement on what should be done. 

When I was a prosecutor it broke my heart to see what some parents would do to their children.  Even after we removed the children from a toxic environment, what then?  What is to be done with adolescents and teenagers who have witnessed depravity?  Who can/will invest the time, energy, money and love in a child who, through no fault of his or her own, has become a human time bomb?

49 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

When I was a prosecutor it broke my heart to see what some parents would do to their children.  Even after we removed the children from a toxic environment, what then?  What is to be done with adolescents and teenagers who have witnessed depravity?  Who can/will invest the time, energy, money and love in a child who, through no fault of his or her own, has become a human time bomb?

Only a small few and then they must have resources...Not every kid who gets abused is an abuser and there is only so much money society is willing to throw at this situation. Fwiw, I am a fan of Government addressing this issue but I am the  minority.... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

20 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

there is only so much money society is willing to throw at this situation. Fwiw, I am a fan of Government addressing this issue but I am the  minority.... 

Seriously, There are no private organizations stepping up and it took arm-twisting to support CHIP to keep our Government from closing down....No easy answers. :mellow:

On 1/25/2018 at 10:10 AM, Jeff Matthews said:

What surprised me is that he lasted as long as he did.  150 girls before any spoke up.  Wow!

I saw an interview with one of the victims who said something to her coach in private. The coach then brought in the rest of the team and humiliated her in front of them, thereby sending a message to her and the rest of the team. It was a female coach BTW, the poor girl probably thought she would get a sympathetic ear from a female authority figure.