A tour of the Audio Research factory

tube fanatic

What surprised me they didn't show any horn speakers, I thought tubes and horns were a natural match? I have only heard AR gear a couple of times and the speakers didn't do them any favors. I bet its hard voicing a tube amp with some of the modern LE speakers, they seem so lifeless. Klipsch should work out a deal and have them send Klipsch and amp, and klipsch could send them Jubilees. I guarantee that AR would sell a ton of them for them. AR is pretty active in the local audio community. I live in Minnesota, the audio community through the Pavek  museum is pretty close knit I know Bel Canto does demos there and I am sure AR does too. I would just ask AR to show them at one of the museums events, that alone would sell a bunch of pairs.

• Like 1

I have an AR SP14 Pre 

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-research-sp14-preamplifier#OPB6C7AAEyyQlBBI.97

And even though it is mostly Solid State(except for the tube phono section) it has been the nicest preamp I have owned for my listening.  I am hoping to work out a trade soon for a D115 Amp to go with it.  Before this Pre I always used Tube Pre's including a couple of very pricey BAT Units.  The AR has been amazing with all of the Klipsch I use.  I do use tube mono blocks for power.  I wouldn't hesitate trying any of the Audio Research equipment....seems very well made with a great "solid metal" feel to it.  I love the old school toggle switches too.

^^^^^

I don't find this surprising or unusual as horn speakers hold a very small % of the speaker market in general. I imagine AR marketing is more inclined to use the newest, latest greatest speaker technology to show how their new designs pair and keep up with today's offerings. Horns are for the few (in the know), Klipsch isn't considered "hi end" so chances of an AR customer dropping $20-30K on an amp/preamp combo and using Klipsch speakers is small, very small.