Vintage cornwalls not pumping hard

Sprinklerguy

Hi there. New guy here so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. Looking to you guys for some advice..thanks in advance. I bought some vintage 1982 cornwalls. When I was young my friends dad had some original herseys, and those things pumped the sound. I figured getting these cornwalls would be even better.

They work, but not even near what I thought. Kinda scrappy sound and not much bass in my opinion. I bought a new power gate amp to run them thinking that would do it.im wondering if I need a tube amp to run them for great sound? Did I possible get ripped off..like some electronics were replaced without using good parts or something? It thought they would be blowing out windows almost, and they could barely open a screen now. I tied in 2 powered monitors just to up the sound. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Edited just now by Sprinklerguy

Have you tried other speakers using exact same hardware and cables?

Are all three drivers (woofer/mid horn and tweeter) working in both speakers?

Loosen and then retighten all the screws on the crossover terminal board. While you are inside check all the wiring from crossover to drivers

Pictures.....

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sprinklerguy said:

Hi there. New guy here so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. Looking to you guys for some advice..thanks in advance. I bought some vintage 1982 cornwalls. When I was young my friends dad had some original herseys, and those things pumped the sound. I figured getting these cornwalls would be even better.

They work, but not even near what I thought. Kinda scrappy sound and not much bass in my opinion. I bought a new power gate amp to run them thinking that would do it.im wondering if I need a tube amp to run them for great sound? Did I possible get ripped off..like some electronics were replaced without using good parts or something? It thought they would be blowing out windows almost, and they could barely open a screen now. I tied in 2 powered monitors just to up the sound. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Edited just now by Sprinklerguy

I was having a similar problem with one of my Forte Is after installing the Crites crossovers: it turned out I had not properly connected the squawker.  You'll have to open up the back to make sure but that sounds like a loose or missing connection to the woofer.  "Not much bass" is not something you normally hear about Cornwalls. 

It is possible somebody swapped out parts: I've seen a few egregious swaps and "improvements" on eBay where the sellers honestly described how they had "fixed" their speakers.  One person replaced the woofers in his McIntosh LS320s with Yamaha woofers: another "got rid of that woofer in the back that wasn't attached to anything and built smaller cabinets" for a pair of Fortes.  And those are just the people who admitted it. But I'd bet this is something which can be resolved more easily than that.

• Like 1

Are your speakers wired out of phase from the amp? I'd assume there is something wrong by your description, either with the way things are set up or with the speakers themselves. Were the speakers demo'd to you by the seller before you bought them?

• Like 1

Sounds like wiring is not correct or crossover needs attention. If you could provide pics of inside cab. and crossover. If you have ohm meter check the resistance of the drivers unhooked from crossover.

Is the woofer moving at all??? Probably an easy fix,,these should be LOUD with just 10 watts.

What do you mean ..2 powered monitors???

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!! I'm going to get into them tonight and check what you guys recommend. The monitors I tied in were some KRK rokit 3 ways...just to add sound because when I fired up the cornwalls seemed weak. I did hear them work when I bought them but he was an elderly guy and I didn't want to blow his house out. I just figured they would be good. I appreciate you guys and the help. I will post inside pics later and more info. You guys rock!