How to choose a DAC?

dtr20

I've been thinking about picking up a good DAC for awhile now. A friend recommended this DAC after the research he did.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0132HW1JA/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_yoqEybK3DHFT3

I like the price of this one. I can also get an Emotiva XDA-2 Gen 2 DAC on CL for $200. I'm looking to hook up a CD player and maybe my Amazon Kindle fire hd (not sure if the kindle has the drivers to communicate to a DAC). Is there anything I should be looking for when choosing a DAC? Thanks

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dtr20 said:

I can also get an Emotiva XDA-2 Gen 2 DAC on CL for $200.

I love my mine and it's the first model, I know they are not a "popular" model but it sounds great, and the remote is VERY handy.

Plus it has a volume knob so it can be used as a pre-amp,( it's how I use it) and very well built.

Choose a DAC by its construction... ladder type (supposedly)

For the rest of us mere humans, choose a DAC by its components. Top of the line ESS chips etc  (9018 or 9038)... chips etc per channel (2 or more)... Femto Clocking... naked resistors (vishay). Etc etc etc

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve_S said:

Another thing to consider is can the DAC be upgraded when new chips are available. Wyred4Sound offers this. I just sent my DAC2-DSDse in to them, it will come back as a DAC-2v2SE with the ES9038PRO chip

Did you notice any difference in the upgrade?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Schu said:

Did you notice any difference in the upgrade?

I just sent in in yesterday for the upgrade. They will have it by end of day tomorrow 2/16/2017. Hopefully it will be back in my home next week. I will let you know as soon as I can.

Regardless of what USB DAC you buy I highly suggest you purchase a USB filter or "regenerator"

I have two of the REGEN from UpTone and wouldn't do without them.  There is also the Jitterbug that I have heard good things about from individuals whose judgement I trust.  

I wouldn't get too excited about using this for playing but it gives you the ability to capture your analog stuff to digital.

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA222-BEHRINGER-U-CONTROL/dp/B0023BYDHK

• Like 2

I got their Linear Power supply but I have to say that the Regen  (with the stock power supply) made a far bigger difference than changing the power supply.  Perhaps my power was already in pretty good shape.    I'll be interested to hear about your results.  

Sorry to divert from the DAC conversation.

2 hours ago, muel said:

I wouldn't get too excited about using this for playing but it gives you the ability to capture your analog stuff to digital.

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA222-BEHRINGER-U-CONTROL/dp/B0023BYDHK

I'm using one of these now, just wondering if there might be something better for bi-direction use. Thanks.