A Favorite MM Cartridge?

Tarheel

I'm looking for a backup cartridge in the $200-$500 range.  Using a Clear Audio Virtuoso Wood at around $800 but its getting some miles on it.  Have heard some good reviews on the Ortofon Black but it sells for around $750.  I am using a Denon DP-1250 turn table with ADC arm.

I prefer to stay with moving magnet.  Any recommendations? 

It all depends on if you have the proper combo. I use the tools at vinylengine.com to make sure the cartridge and tonearm actually work together and have proper resonance/compliance. If it doesn't your not getting the most out of your table. The forum members there are really helpful if you have any questions.

https://www.vinylengine.com/tools.shtml

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php

• Like 2

On 2/15/2017 at 7:53 PM, seti said:

It all depends on if you have the proper combo. I use the tools at vinylengine.com to make sure the cartridge and tonearm actually work together and have proper resonance/compliance. If it doesn't your not getting the most out of your table. The forum members there are really helpful if you have any questions.

https://www.vinylengine.com/tools.shtml

https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php

+1. Love the Vinyl Engine tools and calculators. A good arm match is critical in most cases. Resonance in the 8-12 hz. sweet spot, 10 or so ideally.

However I am using an Ortofon 2M Black on my Origin Live table with Silver arm and I LOVE IT! It is in the mid 7's and I have no problem. I am considering giving the Zephyr a try. It would put me right at 10hz. with my arm. That isn't why I want to try it, just sayin'.

Picked up my 2M Black on AudioGon for $350.00 with 40 hours on it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jorjen said:

+1. Love the Vinyl Engine tools and calculators. A good arm match is critical in most cases. Resonance in the 8-12 hz. sweet spot, 10 or so ideally.

However I am using an Ortofon 2M Black on my Origin Live table with Silver arm and I LOVE IT! It is in the mid 7's and I have no problem. I am considering giving the Zephyr a try. It would put me right at 10hz. with my arm. That isn't why I want to try it, just sayin'.

Picked up my 2M Black on AudioGon for $350.00 with 40 hours on it.

Good stuff.

I'm just using a high mass Jelco 750 12" arm with a 301.  I was using an Ortofon 2m blue but switched to the Denon DL110 because it was a better match. The ortofon should be the better cart but the dl110 sounds better and certainly is a budget cart. I'm scared to go down the cartridge rolling rabbit hole as that can get crazy. On the safe side I'll likely try the denon 103 and add the heavier weight to the arm.

• Like 1

You mentioned you have an ADC arm.  I have a sealed NOS ADC XLM MK II that may  mate well with your arm.

Do you have any literature on your current arm which would indicate what carts ADC was recommending from it's line?  It's my understanding that this MK II cart can also be used for quadraphonic playback.

• 2 weeks later...

From my limited experience the above mentioned advice could work.

I have Philips 212 and tried to upgrade old Philips cart (lower grade GP400) with ortofon 2M Red. It did seem to lead to improvement although

compliance is a bit off (Philips has ultra low mass arm).

In the meantime I met a guy with plenty of NOS Philips carts. I took his advice and just went with new old stock GP 400.

Sonically this is better cart in my tonearm then 2M Red