Speakers damaged by UPS

W27

After reading so many positive things about the new RP-160 I wanted to check them out. I ordered them used in like new condition from eBay. I found a pair and just bought them. Since they're a new model I just assumed they'd be shipped in the original packaging, they were not.

The guy wrapped multiple layers of bubble wrap around them, with a ton of packaging tape,  and stuffed the box with a ton of thick peanut type of things. The outer box looked fine, but a front corner on each got pushed in. I hooked them up briefly. They seem to play fine. I won't have time to mess with them more until tomorrow evening. 

UPS is the worst with this stuff. I've had much better luck with Fedex. Any advice for handling the situation? I don't want to stiff the seller. He did a good job packing. I don't think it was packed tight enough though. He filed a claim with UPS. I believe they're going to contact me and set up a time to come and inspect. I'm thinking that since the outer box looks good that they're going to deny any claim and blame the packaging. Here's a couple pics. They're not bad, but I really don't want them like this. Any advice is appreciated. 

IMG_1049.JPG

I could only load one picture at a time. Kudos to updating the forum, I could never load a picture in the past lol.

In my very limited time with the RP-160 I'll say it did not disappoint. I compared them with speakers way out of their price range and was shocked at how close they were. 

IMG_1051.JPG

When a different party packages it, they will deny a claim. Because of this, I almost always let them pack whatever it is. If it gets damaged, then UPS Store can fight with UPS Carrier. 

They denied my claim on a damaged RC64. Because the outside box on the RC64 got damaged, they, finally after a fight, paid off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Bubble wrap is OK, peanuts are a waste of time and money. They don't stop anything from moving around. I don't want to be the one to tell you, but the seller should have to eat it for bad packaging

Mark

I agree with this. I wouldn't think twice if the guy didn't put any effort into it. It took me 10-15 minutes to unpack them because of how much bubble wrap was around them. Assuming UPS does nothing, what next? Ship them back?Settle on an amount the damage is worth? Should I contact eBay? 

3 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

When a different party packages it, they will deny a claim. Because of this, I almost always let them pack whatever it is. If it gets damaged, then UPS Store can fight with UPS Carrier. 

They denied my claim on a damaged RC64. Because the outside box on the RC64 got damaged, they, finally after a fight, paid off. 

So... would it be beneficial if the outside box was damaged when someone came to inspect?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Bubble wrap is OK

I always wrap about 3 inches of bubble wrap around the item and lay it in a bed of bubble wrap with 2+ inches of foam lining the inside box and then stuff any holes found with foam, bubble wrap, or shrink wrap to prevent any inside movement.  This box gets laid in another foam lined box(top, bottom, sides) and again any holes get stuffed with materials to prevent inside box movement.

12 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

peanuts are a waste of time and money. They don't stop anything from moving around.

100% agree.

13 minutes ago, ZEUS121996 said:

the seller should have to eat it for bad packaging

100% agree, again.  Seller(shipper) is totally responsible for freight claim and should refund you even before freight claim is approved or denied.

Bill

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:
10 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

When a different party packages it, they will deny a claim.

This is not true.

It might not be. I'm only going on what the UPS employees told me. Also, it was the first thing they did on my claim. If you're saying that they default to pay, then you're doing better than me. 

We had a damaged crate arrive at a workplace. I refused to sign for it, but one of the other managers signed for it and accepted it, knowing that it was damaged. A day later they unpacked the tools (3 piece tool for a forming press). One of the parts was gone. UPS denied the claim, the tool maker wasn't going to make and ship another one for free. Guess who had to pay over $5,000 for a new part?  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

This is not true.  As already stated, get before pictures, after pictures, and file the claim immediately.

When I tried to file the claim I got some weird thing that the package was not eligible. I sent it to the seller, who said he filed it and they would be in contact with me. He also gave a reference number. Unfortunately he only had one poor quality before photo. 

I know this all really points to his fault. I always take photos before shipping audio equipment myself. Should I contact eBay or PayPal, or wait to see what UPS says?

Just now, W27 said:

When I tried to file the claim I got some weird thing that the package was not eligible. I sent it to the seller, who said he filed it and they would be in contact with me. He also gave a reference number. Unfortunately he only had one poor quality before photo. 

I know this all really points to his fault. I always take photos before shipping audio equipment myself. Should I contact eBay or PayPal, or wait to see what UPS says?

I would definitely contact both, at least just to have it documented.  It never hurts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, W27 said:

When I tried to file the claim I got some weird thing that the package was not eligible.

That's what I got. I had the driver and possibly another one to have tossed it out of his truck, stay there while I opened the box. I asked that he start the recording process of it arriving damaged. Their first response was to deny the claim. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

That's what I got. I had the driver and possibly another one to have tossed it out of his truck, stay there while I opened the box. I asked that he start the recording process of it arriving damaged. Their first response was to deny the claim. 

What was the outcome of your claim? I know you said after a fight they finally paid out. Did they refund the purchase amount or a percentage? How bad was the damage and did you keep the RC64? How long was the process?

Were they both shipped in a single box? That could have been a big part of the problem. I use a variety of packing materials for different situations, usually a combination of bubble wrap and packing nuts depending on what I'm shipping. Hard Styrofoam does not absorb shock like packing nuts do and bubble wrap will pop after being dropped once and you have to expect things will be dropped, tossed and kicked the whole way there.

If you cannot live with the speakers as they are even with a heavy discount I'd just let the seller deal with it. You'll likely have to take pictures of the damage, the shipping box and packing materials along with the box rating tag and shipping label for the claim. Other than that just box them back up and let UPS take them away. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, W27 said:

What was the outcome of your claim? I know you said after a fight they finally paid out. Did they refund the purchase amount or a percentage? How bad was the damage and did you keep the RC64? How long was the process?

Since this was an eBay purchase the seller is completely responsible and you will get all of your money back. I'd ask the seller for a full refund as soon as UPS picks up the speakers, he can wait around for the claim to go through, no reason you should have to.

• Like 2