Speakers damaged by UPS

W27

14 minutes ago, W27 said:

What was the outcome of your claim? I know you said after a fight they finally paid out. Did they refund the purchase amount or a percentage? How bad was the damage and did you keep the RC64? How long was the process?

They cover $100. I paid for the extra insurance and that's what they paid me. I have no idea about ebay sales. I agree with what's been said: gather lots of pictures of then and now, and that this should be between UPS and the seller. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Were they both shipped in a single box? That could have been a big part of the problem. I use a variety of packing materials for different situations, usually a combination of bubble wrap and packing nuts depending on what I'm shipping. Hard Styrofoam does not absorb shock like packing nuts do and bubble wrap will pop after being dropped once and you have to expect things will be dropped, tossed and kicked the whole way there.

If you cannot live the speakers as they are even with a heavy discount I'd just let the seller deal with it. You'll likely have to take pictures of the damage, the shipping box and packing materials along with the box rating tag and shipping label for the claim. Other than that just box them back up and let UPS take them away. 

Anybody who has shipped any amount of speakers knows to use the pink HD board from HD or Menards. Completely surround the speaker securely and then double box with double wall boxes. And insure them if you choose not to separate the drivers from the horns or lenses, peanuts are for chimps and provide almost no protection

Mark

• Like 3

After dealing with Ebay and HamRadio/Electronics for years, it's on the seller to pack like there is no tomarrow.

Best of luck with any shipper, you will get some money out of them, but you still have damaged goods.

I always Double Box.

If i ship a shoe box size radio, the final box size is 24"X24", they charge by weight, not size most of the time.

• Like 3

They needed heavy duty corner caps made and the speaker secured in the box.  That speaker took a drop with its full weight directly on the corner.  Peanuts displaced around it and the bubblewrap as well will not stop a 25+lb force. It bottomed out with the corner taking the full weight of the speaker on it.   The seller is to blame.  Shippers can't tip toe all day with with every box and things should be packed to survive a drop or whoops!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Since this was an eBay purchase the seller is completely responsible and you will get all of your money back. I'd ask the seller for a full refund as soon as UPS picks up the speakers, he can wait around for the claim to go through, no reason you should have to.

You should file a claim with PP and EBay first, they will take care of it.  If you wait for UPS to pick them up, you might be dead

Mark

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Hard Styrofoam does not absorb shock like packing nuts do and bubble wrap will pop after being dropped once and you have to expect things will be dropped, tossed and kicked the whole way there.

^^^ this

A combination of taped bubble wrap, in a box and a layer of dense styrofoam, all in another box. My Onkyo M504 and Sansui AUG99x were both shipped from the west coast. Both got here without damage.  

5 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Since this was an eBay purchase the seller is completely responsible and you will get all of your money back.

and this ^^^^

• Like 3

very unfortunate. I got a pair of these new and they came in styrfoam with several inches of space between the box and the actual speaker. My box arrived with a huge gash along the edge, but the speaker itself was untouched. Taped that hole up when I ended up selling and shipping from TX to NJ and they arrived without issue at the final destination. As stated previously, bubble wrap is useless with this stuff.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies. Yes they were shipped in the same box. I have more speakers than I know what to do with (like most of you). I just like to try new stuff. I figured if I got them for a good price I could play with them for a while and then put them on CL for about what I paid. Being damaged, that's not going to happen. If I did decide to keep them, I really don't want smashed corners. Wouldn't bother me too bad if it was on the back. Amazon had them on sale brand new for not much more. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about this, I know how frustrating it can be. I'd just make sure you communicate with the seller through eBay and make it clear you're willing to help with the claim but you expect a full refund. It is up to the seller to do most of the work but they will want pictures before they send a driver out to pick up the speakers. UPS will give you a call tag with a tracking number when they pick up the package, you'll need that number when you cancel the order through eBay.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

I do have one question, you said the outside box looked fine, could they have been packed damaged already ? Just wondering, you would think the outside box would have some damage ?

• Like 2

It took decades of disgusting results for me to finally figure out the absolute best way to ship almost anything audio. It has worked every time for me.

Here's what you need. Get a tarp, some moving blankets, outdoor furniture cushions, a yo-yo, several types of tape, some rope, a bubble level, some ratchet tie-downs, a sleeping bag, some snacks and beverages and some plastic wrap. Throw all of it in the back of your truck or van or SUV and drive over to wherever the item is located and pick the item up. Otherwise, forget about it.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

Sorry to hear about this, I know how frustrating it can be. I'd just make sure you communicate with the seller through eBay and make it clear you're willing to help with the claim but you expect a full refund. It is up to the seller to do most of the work but they will want pictures before they send a driver out to pick up the speakers. UPS will give you a call tag with a tracking number when they pick up the package, you'll need that number when you cancel the order through eBay.

Thanks. I called eBay. The automated system initiated the return. I really just wanted to ask a couple questions to cover myself. I still feel really bad because the guy is going to be out the shipping fees and the speakers will probably be even more damaged when he gets them back. 

1 minute ago, dtel said:

Good luck, hope it works out for you.

I do have one question, you said the outside box looked fine, could they have been packed damaged already ? Just wondering, you would think the outside box would have some damage ?

Thanks. I'd like to think a seller wouldn't do that, but anything is possible. There was only one before picture which wasn't great. 

I worked in an electronics store a long time ago. You'd be surprised how many times equipment came out of a perfect box and was smashed, then items came out perfect from a smashed box. In the smashed boxes I suppose the packaging did its job of absorbing the impact. 

Packaging has come come a long way since then. If he had kept the original packaging I probably wouldn't be having this conversation. 

I got one of my HK430 receivers from a forum member. It came in a flimsy box, wrapped in a small blanket and foam peanuts. I was rather pissed, but it didn't have a mark on it and is still in a 2 channel system in my living room.

Bruce

• Like 2

What I don't know exactly whose fault it was for the damaged speaker, and I agree with everybody ^^^ the way you described the packaging, it was not a good job.

What I DO know is it wasn't your fault.  Don't fall in love with these things just because you got a deal.  Get your money back first, immediately, and then let the Seller deal with everything else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max2 said:

They needed heavy duty corner caps made and the speaker secured in the box.  That speaker took a drop with its full weight directly on the corner.  Peanuts displaced around it and the bubblewrap as well will not stop a 25+lb force. It bottomed out with the corner taking the full weight of the speaker on it.   The seller is to blame.  Shippers can't tip toe all day with with every box and things should be packed to survive a drop or whoops!

One of the great things the guys at Ohm Accoustics did was a variant of this. Corner caps over styrofoam and pressboard with another layer over top. All the way from Brooklyn NY to the NWT. Check out the photos one my Ohm Wash Something different thread.

16 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Bubble wrap is OK, peanuts are a waste of time and money. They don't stop anything from moving around. I don't want to be the one to tell you, but the seller should have to eat it for bad packaging

Mark

Absolutely agree.  The speakers should be in a carved out area, not able to move.  Foam and / or styrofoam form fitting.

Since they are heavy, they will push their way through any loose stuffing (peanuts - doh) and the corners at least, will get dinged up.

Case like this where the box is reasonable, it is less likely to be UPS to blame.  Just plain poor packaging (if they weren't damaged to begin with).