LPF for LFE what is it how to set?

Hydroman

Hello I'm using denon avr with r28f towers 62ii center 2x r15 r12sw I had it set 80hz and max is 250hz factory was 120hz I believe

Audyssey 

Towers label large 40hz crossover

Center small 60hz crossover

Sides small 60hz crossover

Can anyone explain how to set LPF for LFE and help me configure speakers?

9 minutes ago, Hydroman said:

Thanks that LFE channel needs to be on from your sub. Think the 80hz might not be on the exclusive sub channel LFE I'll be testing it tomorrow maybe it still was on.

No, the LFE setting is ONLY from the AVR.

Read the link Derrick provided.  ^^^  It's very well written and has stood the test of time.

+++

For the record, the .1 LFE channel naming convention IS confusing because of the way systems are named.  A typical 5.1 setup means to most people L/C/R, two surround sides, and the 1 means a subwoofer.

The .1 LFE is a complete other animal and should not be confused with the typical 5.1 nomenclature.

On 2/15/2017 at 11:20 PM, Hydroman said:

R12sw has LFE marked turned all the way up back of sub. While I had it at 80hz does it matter should I have it on 80hz or LFE?

If you are letting your AVR handle bass management, then your subwoofer's on board "low pass" or "LFE" settings should be set to 120Hz or off, which varies from mfr to mfr.

Bill

Make sure all speakers are set to small or the sub may not activate all the time.  Plug the sub into one or both of the line level inputs on the sub plate amp.  Set  the XO to 80 and if you have an option for setting the LFE, put it at 0 volume at 120 Hz.  The  LFE channel can be set to 80  Hz.  There is very little content difference between 120-80 Hz.  DTS movies used the 120 Hz cut off and DD used the 80 Hz  cut off.

1 hour ago, Hydroman said:

Haven't decided dynamic EQ on or off and audyssey has me at large fronts small center and sides so I'm using LFE+main to get sub on.

The better way would be to set the fronts to small, and leave the crossover at 40hz. That should turn on the subs. LFE+main is not recommended by Audyssey, as it tends to make the bass boomy. Dynamic EQ acts as an automatic loudness control, keeping the bass in balance at the lower volume levels where your ears are less sensitive to bass. It automatically decreases as you increase the volume. When I use Audyssey, I find it helpful. 

Well as wvu80 would put it I hear the trumpets now I know what u ment.

Honestly don't know what I did but this is how it's set LPF FOR LFE 80hz the sub is set past 120hz to the bottom marked LFE. Turned gain down 1/8 below halfway and have one sub on LFE. Dynamic EQ is on

And I hear trumpets it's cranked up and the bass shakes the floors but doesn't make my ears hurt anymore maybe I went def  past few days or I finally have it set right. 

No real reason to set the mains to 40 Hz.  The sound will be a bit cleaner with a higher XO and you will have more headroom for dynamic passages.  Not heading into a lengthy date on this topic, people can do has they like.:)  I like having some of the biggest satellites around with the RF 7 II's XO at 80 Hz, lol.

9 hours ago, Hydroman said:

So that moves the bass to towers more and makes the sub work less right

Moving the sub crossover higher actually does the opposite, makes the subs work more, the towers less. The bass below the crossover is moved to the subs. And the LPF for LPE setting in the AVR should always be set to 120hz. I believe you were linked to an article earlier that explains why.