LPF for LFE what is it how to set?

Hydroman

On 2/15/2017 at 11:20 PM, Hydroman said:

R12sw has LFE marked turned all the way up back of sub. While I had it at 80hz does it matter should I have it on 80hz or LFE?

Does your R12 SW look like this?  Can you point out the LFE adjustment?

81zB4tSOFWL._SL1500_.jpg

I read thru this a couple of times but I forget easily.

Set the sub at the LFE (highest position and I am assuming 120hz) and then use the AVR to set the sub's crossover point. If the AVR decides the sub should be at, say 90, then it (the AVR) will send only 90 and below to the sub and the sub's crossover will not interfere as it looks for 120 and above to put a stop to.

Let's say that you set the sub at the LFE and the AVR to 80. All 80 and below go to sub. because the sub just puts the stop to 120 and above

Now sub set to 60 and AVR set to 80. AVR sends all 80 and below to sub BUT sub will only allow 60 and below to pass. You lose the signals between 60 and 80. Those are not sent to the main speakers and the sub will not accept them. POOF, gone.

Setting both sub and AVR to same (or very near) and it gets confused like my wife reading a road map.

17 minutes ago, Hydroman said:

That how it's set LPF FOR LFE 120hz and sub where u pointed arrow 

Good.

Get an analog Radio Shack SPL meter and a tape measure.

Set AVR to match actual distances to speakers.

Set the meter pointed up at your normal listening position (slow / C weighted on meter)
Go into your AVR and set manually by distance and set test tones to 75 dB on the meter.

Left front TONE, set at +/- Zero and adjust volume to make meter read 75ish. DO not adjust volume again during the rest of this.

Advance to the next speaker and adjust the setting NOT the volume knob to match the left front (call it the master).

When you get to the sub channel adjust the sub's gain to match the 75dB with AVR sub channel adjust as close to zero as you can (this allows for further trim by th eAVR's remote). When you get the 75 on the sub with Phase knob mid may then rotate phase right / left until you get the highest level on meter. Reduce sub's gain knob back to 75.

How does that sound?

The LFE channel is a completely independent channel and acts independently of your subwoofer crossover settings in your AVR. The LFE setting on the AVR sends the content of the LFE channel to your subwoofer based on the frequency you have it set at regardless of and independently of your subwoofer crossover. The LFE channel can have content up to 120hz. That is why it should be set at 120hz. Setting it lower potentially "throws away" LFE channel content.

• 1 year later...
On 2/17/2017 at 8:58 PM, USNRET said:

Well, I guess I don't know what you want or expect. Use audyssey and be happy.

I understand that Bose has sound bars that don't need setting perhaps that will be of service to you.

Wow really dude? Really all this guy wanted to know was how to hook up his second sub. Either by y-splitter or a second pre-out on the receiver. A y-splitter is perfectly fine if you don’t have a second sub pre-out on the back of your receiver. Run the cable into the LFE input on BOTH subs. Keep the knob on back of sub set to LFE and set the LPF of LFE setting in your receiver settings to 80hz. 80hz is what I use anyway. All my other crossovers for my regular speakers are set to 80hz as well. 

Just tell the man what to do rather than try to teach him all the intricacies of each setting. He’ll have to learn those as he goes and that will take time. You’re trying to overload him with too much information. Few people even answered the simple question he had about a y-splitter. He really just wants to know how to hook his two subs up and what settings to put them at. And yeah those settings can vary with each setup but 80hz is certainly a good standard. 

No need to go buy a Bose sound bar 🙄

• Like 1

I take back what I said about 80hz. Jesus I just set all my crossovers and LPF settings to 120hz (seemingly for the first time ever I guess? WTH have I been doing these last two years?) and wow was I missing some frequencies. At least for music, 120hz is where it’s at. Haven’t tried a movie yet but don’t see why it would be different.