Crossover setting for RP-280F?

Gandalf007

Gandalf, I have a pair of the lesser versions of those speakers, the R28Fs, and I crossed them everywhere from 60hz to 120hz, depending upon what I wanted to try.  Anywhere in that range works, it becomes a matter of preference.  If you have measuring equipment you can actually see which crossover works better.  It mostly has to do with the room, as the room may or may not allow, say an 80hz crossover to sound right.  There can be room issues that make a certain crossover better than others.  The speaker itself is full range and capable of anything honestly.  It can be run full range without a crossover, but if you have subs, I would recommend nothing lower than 60 unless you have an amazing room.  

• Like 1

Why do people crossover excellent big tower speakers like these? The sound production of all frequencies on these things are wonderful. I run mine full range. Play them as they were engineered. Why limit some of their capabilities? Like putting a speed limiter on a Ferrari! Otherwise, you could have gotten the same result with bookshelves and a good sub, saved your self some space and $600.

Derrick,, when you say more midrange is this at a loud volume otr upper level? Reason why I ask ..I knew a higher xo point helped with what you describe but do you think it matters when some one like myself listens at low to moderate levels. In terms of volume I rarely go past the half way mark if you will on the volume indicator. I'm seeking your knowledge not calling anybody out. Thanks
Hey op not trying to high jack your thread just gaining some knowledge we both can use. Hope your enjoying your klipsch. By the way. What did you end up for you XO setting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Derrick,, when you say more midrange is this at a loud volume otr upper level? Reason why I ask ..I knew a higher xo point helped with what you describe but do you think it matters when some one like myself listens at low to moderate levels. In terms of volume I rarely go past the half way mark if you will on the volume indicator. I'm seeking your knowledge not calling anybody out. Thanks
Hey op not trying to high jack your thread just gaining some knowledge we both can use. Hope your enjoying your klipsch. By the way. What did you end up for you XO setting

I'm moving in a few days so I haven't had a chance to set them up yet. They're just sitting in their boxes, silently mocking me. It's killing me!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

On 2/17/2017 at 1:43 PM, miliellie111 said:

Why do people crossover excellent big tower speakers like these? 

1. Subs are more efficient at producing the low frequencies.  

2. More headroom on their receiver. 

3. Less intermodulation distortion. 

4. Often times running LFE+Main where the subs and towers are both producing low frequencies is actually a worse result than just letting the sub(s) have it all due to cancellation.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bcovish said:

The tendency is to want to use the speakers set to large, after all they are big speakers.  As metro said, it cuts down on distortion, increases headroom and the subwoofer is specifically designed to play the lower frequencies. Most of us have been there and tried it.  Lastly, it comes down to personal choice.  At low to moderate volume it most likely does not matter.  For movies, it makes more cents to let the subwoofer in the system do the heavy lifting.  It has a dedicated amp and will not take power from the avr for multichannel playback.

Also the ability to place a sub in an optimal position is another reason to cross and use a sub.  The place your left and right speaker go is almost 100% for sure not the right place for a sub.

You can run large w a sub but then you have to add the sub in a blended fashion.  Id recommend if doing this you cross at 40 as most front speakers fall of by around 35 making for a good crossover point.  Some like a lot of boom in their music and cross higher.  It can get muddy sounding doing that.

• 4 years later...

I have klipsch rp280f , rp450 c front and klipsch rb51ii rears, i have a polk psw10 amp that really has no business being here, i have ordered an rsl speedwoofer, june 25, still waiting for delivery,  but getting ready to set it up, where should i set the crossover,  as i have read this  and didnt really get a the best option.  I love my set up, its quite loud and amazingly clear, but lacks the kick in the chest. Also i am thinking of getting a 12 inch sub, the bic pl200 for the deaper kick in the chest, i can manage another $300, but the wife is getting annoyed at my budget expansion feom original plan and think this will be a good solution, but maybe i dont need it as i havent even heard the speed woofer yet. Theatre is in basement with carpet and block walls , 15 x 22 is room size

• 11 months later...
On 9/10/2021 at 7:51 PM, Mikethenoob said:

I have klipsch rp280f , rp450 c front and klipsch rb51ii rears, i have a polk psw10 amp that really has no business being here, i have ordered an rsl speedwoofer, june 25, still waiting for delivery,  but getting ready to set it up, where should i set the crossover,  as i have read this  and didnt really get a the best option.  I love my set up, its quite loud and amazingly clear, but lacks the kick in the chest. Also i am thinking of getting a 12 inch sub, the bic pl200 for the deaper kick in the chest, i can manage another $300, but the wife is getting annoyed at my budget expansion from original plan and think this will be a good solution, but maybe i dont need it as i havent even heard the speed woofer yet. Theatre is in basement with carpet and block walls , 15 x 22 is room size

I think the basic concept is that you look at the spec sheet for each speaker you are running. If you have high-end speakers and a high-end powered sub, you want to set ALL speakers to SMALL (manual crossover), then manually adjust the crossover for each channel pair (Front, Center, Surround, Surround Back) to the lowest possible setting that is ABOVE the low frequency response rating of the speaker on the spec sheet. For a speaker with a 52Hz response, you would set to 60, for 32hz, you would set 40, etc.  But you can play with the settings and see what sounds best in your room as well.

As long as the manually adjusted crossover frequency is above the low-frequency response level of a given speaker, then you will have no holes or gaps in the frequency range that is being reproduced. My receiver only has 20Hz increments for manual crossover settings, so for me it is:

Speaker Channel:                                 Frequency Response:      Crossover Setting
FRONT L-R  RP-8060FA                       32Hz-25kHz +/- 3dB                40Hz
CENTER  RP-504C                               50Hz-25kHz +/- 3dB                 60Hz
SURROUND L-F  RP-600M                  44Hz-25kHz +/- 3dB                 60Hz
SURROUND-BACK L-R RP-502S         58Hz-25kHz +/- 3dB                 60Hz

I think this is the way; but, I am not the most knowledgeable person here, so others may refine or correct this information. I still need to understand how the Subwoofer crossover setting plays into this, as I notice a crossover setting for it, both in the receiver speaker setup, and on the back of the sub as well.

Edited by Garo7
typos
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

When blending speakers in a room i find the range on the speakers doesnt really matter as long as ur not trying to play at or below there minimum. All the x-over settings and moving speakers around are just to get them to blend together well and are mostly dependant on ur room. Ive spent many hrs with REW and mics and moving speakers (huge pain in the azz) to get my system to sound the best it can and was trying to run all my towers lower or full range but just couldnt get it better than with them crossed at 60 (really 60-80 either would have worked but i fought for the lowest setting lol). Then on top of that the settings will vary based on how ur using the system. Theater surround or atmos or 2channel stereo or multi channel stereo ect. Its never ending lol