La Scala + McIntosh = YAY!

SiliconTi

Well, after playing around with a few amps trying to find one that matches the La Scales well, I finally bit the bullet and dragged my Mac 4100 from the office to home. Holy moly, it is a match made in Heaven! Crank up the loudness knob, set 1500 Hz to 9 o'clock and let them rip! Have them peaking at 10 full watts (that is 90db at 12 feet)! Man, these are efficient.

No need for a subwoofer, ported boxes, etc.

I am really pleased, except I do not think my Mac will be at the office anymore. That is OK, I have about 6 other receivers to choose from.

• Like 5

Thumbs up! I just got a listen to my new MC2500 last night. I compared the Oppo 105 digital out vs balanced analog out which was very easy as I just have to one button the Mac's remote to swap. The Mac's Dac was a smidgen better for my tastes. Now if Tidal would just get fixed so it does not buffer / stop / lag :angry2: with paid hi-res and a 300mb connection.

• Like 1

My McIntosh MA6200 integrated amp sounds absolutely amazing with my Fortes.  I've heard from many people that McIntosh and Klipsch syncretize beautifully together and based on my own experiences I'd have to agree.  The MA6200 has a warmth which cuts some of the brightness from the horns while preserving that sense of presence and dynamism you get with horns. 

While I've never listened to the 4100 I have heard nothing but good things about it and I'm sure it is doing justice to your La Scalas :) Congratulations on building a superb sound system! 

43 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Awaiting delivery of a (new to me) Mc amp tomorrow.....I'll keep you all in suspense until I post it.....

You are right, Mc amps and La Scala/Khorn/Belles, etc, etc, etc.  are terrific.

You've been holding out on us, congratulations!  :emotion-21:  :emotion-19:

Don't forget the pics.  :cool:

More info. I gutted my 7.1 home theater to a 3.1 a few months ago. Looks like I'll be going to 2.0 now with the La Scalas and the Mac. Holy cow, even movies are great. My Denon AVR-3803 is just a glorified DAC now, but that is a good thing - it has excellent Burr-Brown DACs and allows remote volume control (feeding the Denon Pre-outs to the Mac Aux In). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SiliconTi said:

Well, after playing around with a few amps trying to find one that matches the La Scales well, I finally bit the bullet and dragged my Mac 4100 from the office to home. Holy moly, it is a match made in Heaven! Crank up the loudness knob, set 1500 Hz to 9 o'clock and let them rip! Have them peaking at 10 full watts (that is 90db at 12 feet)! Man, these are efficient.

No need for a subwoofer, ported boxes, etc.

I am really pleased, except I do not think my Mac will be at the office anymore. That is OK, I have about 6 other receivers to choose from.

Yes, Quality/Power is quite pleasing, for me.

Not so much for the Neighbor(s).

30 minutes ago, minermark said:

Thankfully, I live in the middle of nowhere. Closest neighbor is about 600 feet away.

I'll try to piss them off anyways, to make PWK proud.

• Like 3

I have an MA6500 powering some H3's and an MC58 powering some LS2's.  Sounds good to me although my comparisons are limited.  When my MA6500 replaced an old HK integrated amp, I noticed a nice difference although my wife made a smart-alec comment "sounds just like the other one..."  Pretty sure she was just pulling my chain.  Same when my MC58 replaced an old Yamaha AVR's amp section, it was also a nice upgrade - not huge life-changing differences but definitely noticeable.  

38 minutes ago, minermark said:

maybe your neighbors just haven't had enough exposure to your tastes in sonic quality, music & entertainment yet ?

• Like 1

Just now, -js- said:

maybe your neighbors just haven't had enough exposure to your tastes in sonic quality, music & entertainment yet ?

There is Merit in your statement, and i Concur, however their billing me for "Broken China" precludes me getting friendly anytime soon :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, minermark said:

There is Merit in your statement, and i Concur, however their billing me for "Broken China" precludes me getting friendly anytime soon :rolleyes: 

LOL - billing you for their broken china.  funny stuff there.  :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, minermark said:

Be a good neighbor... find out what they want to hear.

Of course, silence isn't an option. 

• Like 1