La Scala + McIntosh = YAY!

SiliconTi

7 minutes ago, muel said:

Be a good neighbor... find out what they want to hear.

Of course, silence isn't an option. 

or you could take the approach some of us insist sr mgmt at our office does - that is, ask us what we think, or ask for suggestions with no intention of really considering anything we have to offer.  you could do that - and act like you're giving them input, when you full well know what you're going to play for the 'hood regardless of what they say.

1 hour ago, Zim. said:

105 as a preamp (sacd/cd direct into your amp via xlr)

I have yet to try that. I need to understand why the CD is so bass bloomy using coax out to the preamp. I need to move the Oppo closer to try optical.

1 hour ago, Zim. said:

Are you using your Emotiva in this comparison

Yes, but I have my eye on a separate amp for the 2 channel. I don't like the way the Mac turns on the tubes when going thru it in HT Bypass.

30 minutes ago, SiliconTi said:

I do not have a 105, but am curious - how do you control the volume with it directly connected to an amp?

Using analog out of the 105 (either stereo or multi-channel) you have full volume, crossover, delay, bass management, etc. etc. The setup allows fixed or variable volume out. It even puts out test tones for setup.

On 2/17/2017 at 9:06 AM, SiliconTi said:

Well, after playing around with a few amps trying to find one that matches the La Scales well, I finally bit the bullet and dragged my Mac 4100 from the office to home. Holy moly, it is a match made in Heaven! 

McIntosh amplifiers are the perfect match with Klipsch speakers.  Because Klipsch speakers are high sensitivity they require little power and the cleanest power is provided by solid state class A push/pull designs (vs. singled-ended) like McIntosh. This achieves lowest hum and distortion. Those wanting to get the very most detail from their Klipsch speakers can add a modern McIntosh amplifier with THD =< .005% and S/N ratio => 120db.  

Learning here is good as I wasn't aware Mc amps used Class A designs but were class AB or more commonly class B in their solid state amps. And if you favor Class A for their hum/distortion ratings why not just use actual Class A heaters? Aside from their excessive heat output and anti-green power consumption Class A solid state are some of the finest sound machine out there. And lets differentiate Pure Class A vs. pseudo Class A  where the amp runs claas A for --- watts then slides to AB. Class A genius Nelson Pass designs all forms of pure A class amps, single ended, push pull, etc. The simple signal amplification of pure Class A soild state and single ended Class A tubes both provide a similar sound front due to their inherent circuit design. 

As I type I am listening to Justin Webers (amspandsound) massaged Pass amp camp single ended Class A monos with regulated power supplies rated at 6 watts thru Jubilees. Amazingly fulfilling. 

52 minutes ago, richieb said:

Learning here is good as I wasn't aware Mc amps used Class A designs but were class AB or more commonly class B in their solid state amps. thru Jubilees. 

This may help you to better understand the different classes of amplifier design. 

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/amplifier-classes

I am familiar with them, thanks.

I have never seen published specs on this amp specifically stating the class. I have a Class A Sony that runs very hot, as does my Haffler which also, I believe, class A. The Mac runs quite cool. Then again, maybe that explains the cost difference between them - Mac makes no compromises to save on cost.

Also, I meant class A/B in my above post.

EDIT: after some thought/research I still think it is class A/B.