Tube amp and pre or Tube integrated recommendations for Cornwall 1s

ScottR

Just purchased a nice pair of Cornwall 1s and am looking for Recommendations for a tube amp and pre or a tube integrated to drive them with. I'm not a fan of Rogue Audio's Integrateds and would like to keep it close to 4 grand. I am planning on given a listen to the Forte 3s when they come out as the wife would significantly prefer a pair of those in the living room, so something that would match nicely with those as well would be great.

• Like 1

Personally, I am very partial to Quicksilver Audio equipment and own several pieces which are in use daily.

According to the Quicksilver Audio website, the Phono Stage Preamp, Line Stage Preamp and Mid Mono Amps (40 watts) or Horn Mono Amps (25 watts) would total $4,500 and, in my opinion, sound awesome with the Cornwalls.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

Scott, although you have a budget of $4k, it may not be necessary to spend anything approaching that amount to achieve your goal.  A careful assessment of your listening requirements should be done first:  how loudly do you listen, how far from the speakers do you sit when listening, what type of music do you enjoy?  The nice thing about Klipsch speakers is their high sensitivity/efficiency which often eliminates the need to go with very high power.  If you post more details, we can get some idea of just how much power you will need to satisfy those requirements.

Maynard

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

but also just enough for some Leben goodness...

I was just looking at a used CS600 for that price. I'll be in NYC next weekend and am going to check out a place called Living Stereo. They have quite the selection of gear including Leben.

I'd love to DIY myself a pair of amps and a pre but my work schedule won't allow that to happen. 

The question is will spending $4000 get you there?  You can get there for much less and not sacrifice quality, look or SQ IMHO.  You just won't be able to impress someone with how much you have spent.  It would be better to blow them away by the sound.  People want Klipsch systems based on the sound, liveliness and emotion.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Scott, although you have a budget of $4k, it may not be necessary to spend anything approaching that amount to achieve your goal.  A careful assessment of your listening requirements should be done first:  how loudly do you listen, how far from the speakers do you sit when listening, what type of music do you enjoy?  The nice thing about Klipsch speakers is their high sensitivity/efficiency which often eliminates the need to go with very high power.  If you post more details, we can get some idea of just how much power you will need to satisfy those requirements.

Maynard

Hi Maynard,

My room is 14x18 and my listening spot is about 10 feet from the speakers.  The room has hard wood floors but has a large area rug in front of the speakers and a couch and a pair of chairs and a large soft fabric ottoman as a coffee table, so it's not a very live room. 

I listen at moderate levels mostly. Definitely don't try to approach love Rock concert sound volumes but do like to play it at what most people would consider loud once in awhile. The speaker will be going up against the wall in corners.

I listen to a wide variety of music including jazz, blues, and classical, but about 60% is rock.

So far I've gotten recommendations for VRDs, Leben, Quicksilver, restored McIntosh gear that looks beautiful, Line Magnetic, and Toolshed Audio. All top notch gear from what I've read but I haven't read much about the VRD amps or Toolshed Audio gear. Anyone hear any of the Amp&Sound amps?

I like to rock out with my Cornwall 1's occasionally. I just finished repairing my CJ mv45 which is an el34 push pull amp from around 1980. I hooked it to the Cornwalls with a CJ preamp, PV-2.  I use a homemade idler drive 16" broadcast table and use CDs. The approximately 45 watts with corns in any room I have tried just flat out rocks! Big fairly open sound. I used to run the el34s strapped in triode which gets about 22 watts. Still enough to get high spl with the Cornwalls. I've also got good results with 100 wpc SS and also with class D. The actual amp/preamp has more to do with the results than which type or class of amp you are using. Tubes are great fun but so are the other types.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

You will get tons of recommendations, mine included. 

Please try to arrange an audition of the gear you are considering in your room driving your speakers. 

I've found that is only really possible for the more main stream gear. I'm going to hear Line Magnetic and Leben next week. I heard a Rega Elex but that sounded supprisingly close to my NAD. 

The most interesting amps I've come across so far are the VRDs, the Toolshed Audio amps, and the Quicksilver Horn Monos. I am thinking auditioning those will be pretty difficult.

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

I've found that is only really possible for the more main stream gear. I'm going to hear Line Magnetic and Leben next week. I heard a Rega Elex but that sounded supprisingly close to my NAD. 

The most interesting amps I've come across so far are the VRDs, the Toolshed Audio amps, and the Quicksilver Horn Monos. I am thinking auditioning those will be pretty difficult.

It's possible that some dealers and/or manufacturers may have return policies where you buy the amp(s), are able to listen to them in your system/room and return them if they don't work for you. You're probably going to be on the hook for shipping, which will not be cheap with tube amps. It's worth asking the question.