Tube amp and pre or Tube integrated recommendations for Cornwall 1s

ScottR

Scott, there are two guys you should speak with on the phone before buying anything.  One is Bob Latino:

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm

The other is Steve Deckert:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/homepage.html

Both have products which are excellent and interface well with Klipsch speakers.  And, Deckert offers a 30 day return privilege as well as a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.  It's rare to see any of their products come up on the used market.

Remember as well that cosmetics can, in some cases, add a great deal to the cost.  If that's important to you, then by all means don't think about it.  But, I agree with Michael that if you are looking for an amp which offers the best of both worlds, including absolutely meticulous under-chassis construction, go with Leben:

http://lebenhifi.com/products.html

Maynard

I can highly recommend Matt and his ToolShed amps and pre-amps. The guy is the real deal to do business with. You get a very high quality amp and get to customize your wood colors too if you like. This is old school craftsmanship, built like a tank and as heavy as a tank too. The sound is even better than the looks, these amps are tailored to Klipsch Heritage taking advantage of the high efficiency. With 12 watts it is ideal for you Cornwalls. It will certainly play louder than you can handle and will not break up and fall apart at any volume. I have 2 of his amps and 1 phono preamp. These will be the last I will over purchase.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Scott, I also highly recommend you talk to Justin Weber at ampsandsound.com

http://ampsandsound.com/products/amps/

Justin is a great guy, always willing to help with whatever questions you might have, and his products are superb.

I just PMd someone here about these amps last night. Thanks I will check them out.

2 hours ago, avguytx said:

Dynaco VTA ST-70 or 120 from Bob Latino at tubes4hifi would be a contender. They can make you one assembled ready to go with tubes or add your own choice. Not that I'm partial or anything. :)

As in the Dynaco amps from the 70s? I had an uncle that had one of those. Very cool.

7 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Scott, there are two guys you should speak with on the phone before buying anything.  One is Bob Latino:

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm

The other is Steve Deckert:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/homepage.html

Both have products which are excellent and interface well with Klipsch speakers.  And, Deckert offers a 30 day return privilege as well as a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.  It's rare to see any of their products come up on the used market.

Remember as well that cosmetics can, in some cases, add a great deal to the cost.  If that's important to you, then by all means don't think about it.  But, I agree with Michael that if you are looking for an amp which offers the best of both worlds, including absolutely meticulous under-chassis construction, go with Leben:

http://lebenhifi.com/products.html

Maynard

I could go either way on cosmetics and actually prefer to see the tubes but the significant other is not a fan and has cats. She does however like some of the prettier tube gear I've shown her pictures of. So it's a balance act sadly. I will check them out though and am going to listen to Leben gear next week. 

Thanks

Scott, since you asked my opinion of my amps, I will give it. Please know that I'm NOT affiliated with any amp manufacturers. I have NO dog in this fight, so to speak. I'm a music lover, period. In fact, typing this while listening to Nirvana. RIP Kurt...you would have been 50 today. :(

What I love about Toolshed amps is the sound and construction quality, attention to detail and custom options that Toolshed offers. You can choose exotic woods and custom, etched metal artwork that you can design. I had a palm tree design that I wanted and it turned out killer. The volume knob goes to 11...although I doubt that I'll ever play it that loud. The indicator lights on the amps even use vintage glass jewels from the late 1950's. Those details translate into a "work of art", at least for me. I didn't want a cookie-cutter amp. I  wanted something that my neighbor didn't have. Check out Toolshedamps on instagram for more custom pics. They can build it anyway you want.

The amps arrived VERY well-packed and perfect. I haven't had a single issue and I don't expect to. All I get is glorious music and they pair perfectly with my Heresy 3. I know that the builder, Matt, mentioned that he also owns Klipsch speakers...Fortes, maybe? Great synergy...and this is not my first tube-amp rodeo. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Scott, welcome. You have been given many outstanding amp suggestions to choose from and I wish you the best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldSkool77 said:

Scott, since you asked my opinion of my amps, I will give it. Please know that I'm NOT affiliated with any amp manufacturers. I have NO dog in this fight, so to speak. I'm a music lover, period. In fact, typing this while listening to Nirvana. RIP Kurt...you would have been 50 today. :(

What I love about Toolshed amps is the sound and construction quality, attention to detail and custom options that Toolshed offers. You can choose exotic woods and custom, etched metal artwork that you can design. I had a palm tree design that I wanted and it turned out killer. The volume knob goes to 11...although I doubt that I'll ever play it that loud. The indicator lights on the amps even use vintage glass jewels from the late 1950's. Those details translate into a "work of art", at least for me. I didn't want a cookie-cutter amp. I  wanted something that my neighbor didn't have. check out Toolshedamps on instagram for more custom pics. They can build it anyway you want.

The amps arrived VERY well-packed and perfect. I haven't had a single issue and I don't expect to. All I get is glorious music and they pair perfectly with my Heresy 3. I know that the builder, Matt, mentioned that he also owns Klipsch speakers...Fortes, maybe? Great synergy...and this is not my first tube-amp rodeo. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Scott, welcome. You have been given many outstanding amp suggestions to choose from and I wish you the best.

Great to here. I checked out their Instagram. Very nice looking gear. Thanks for the recommendation. Your amps look beautiful. What were you running before? 

I listened to In Utero on my way into work today. Tragic loss.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2017 at 2:18 PM, ScottR said:

I could go either way on cosmetics and actually prefer to see the tubes but the significant other is not a fan and has cats. She does however like some of the prettier tube gear I've shown her pictures of. So it's a balance act sadly. I will check them out though and am going to listen to Leben gear next week. 

Thanks

A cat would only lick a working tube......once... 

And I'd pay to be there for that. ;)  My cats don't mess with any of my gear.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, OldSkool77 said:

What I love about Toolshed amps is the sound and construction quality, attention to detail and custom options that Toolshed offers. You can choose exotic woods and custom, etched metal artwork that you can design. I had a palm tree design that I wanted and it turned out killer. The volume knob goes to 11...although I doubt that I'll ever play it that loud. The indicator lights on the amps even use vintage glass jewels from the late 1950's. Those details translate into a "work of art", at least for me. I didn't want a cookie-cutter amp. I  wanted something that my neighbor didn't have. Check out Toolshedamps on instagram for more custom pics. They can build it anyway you want.

Just can't believe it's been so long. Listening to my LP of Unplugged. They were a great band. 

• Like 1

I attempted to contact a few forum member 'vendors' thru their web sites and the forum about the purchase of amp(s) over the last 2-3 weeks. Exactly 2 responded. Appreciate your time Maynard and Craig!

I have enjoyed Craig's VRDs (both stereo and mono block versions) very much and I will be hearing a Maynard creation next week.

7 hours ago, ScottR said:

Great to here. I checked out their Instagram. Very nice looking gear. Thanks for the recommendation. Your amps look beautiful. What were you running before? 

I listened to In Utero on my way into work today. Tragic loss.

Lots of great gear recommended. I had written a nice long post but I guess I messed up some how. 

Anyways. I would just add a couple of things. I like my tube gear to have great tone and what I consider to be a nice tube like sound. Personally I found all the Audio Research gear I've heard in the last 20 years to be on the analytical side of the scale. I'd put Shindo on the other side, the warm, great tone side. I found Decware to be on the analytical side not to far from Audio Research gear. Leben I'd put on the Shindo side. CJ gear is just to fuzzy for me but I haven't heard any of there stuff in the last 10 years. Line Magnetic, despite being from China, pretty nice gear. Great build quality and sound. My only problem with them is that they seem to always be having some grey market/counterfeit/dealers not knowing what tubes are currently coming in there amps problems. Leben gear I just love. It's fantastic I've heard the CS300, CS600, the rs660p, the RS30eq, and their full function preamp. Just amazing gear, but really pricey.

I read your speaker thread. You'll love those Cornwalls. I think we have pretty similar tastes. I'm also anxiously awaiting Forte 3 but either way I will never be parting with my 85 Cornwalls. I wouldn't do much to mod those Cornwalls either. Just replace the caps in the crossovers with some good ones. I'm going to redo mine with Jupiter Flat Stacks this summer when work slows down. 

• Like 1