Tube amp and pre or Tube integrated recommendations for Cornwall 1s

ScottR

I alway think, darn these Class A are so inefficient.  With the tube amp and BDP, the power meter reads, 137 watts.  The SS system / BDP will read 96 watts.  I always think, all this power use and the speakers are using less than a one or two watts looking at the meter on the tube amp.

In complete agreement with wdecho.  Call A, despite its inherent inefficiency and heat is, to me, the best of the best.  I must qualify that it just happens to be my personal preference. If you can just enjoy the sound you have, if you do enjoy it, might it be worth perhaps allowing the numbers to be what they are?  But by all means, experiment with the many options available.  Maybe you will find something that satisfies all priorities.

I have a single-ended OTL amplifier that runs blisteringly hot -- quite literally, yet is entirely within proper working voltage and current parameters as far as its component parts are concerned -- and designed by a highly regarded audio EE, whose work I have followed since before he even developed his kit offerings.  I have many amplifiers, both which I've built and not, and this hot-tempered little thing, sonically, is an absolute gem.

edit:  "Call A" (second sentence)??? Not sure what that is erik;  I think you probably meant to write "Class A"

Edited by erik2A3
typo correction
  • Like 1