Plans for 1956-57 Khorn Housing

script56

This looks like a shell similar to the ones Electrovoice made for the Georgian horn, except made to resemble the factory Khorn. The factory Khorns that look like that are two pieces and the top hat is removable. What you have is not a Klipsch product, though it may have been made by someone to fit a decorator series Khorn.

Most people who dress up a decorator series Khorn would veneer and edge band the bass horn then build and veneer the top hat.

• 1 year later...

Not sure where to post this so I put it here. I have a pair of Klipsch horns built by my dad in the 1950s. He bought the plans from Klipsch. I don't know what model it is, but it's probably the first one.

He was a very experienced boat builder, so he did a pretty nice job on them (although the finish is rather plain, as was his typical style.) He first built one in the 50s, then when stereo came along, built the second one.

Somewhere in the 60s, he bought a pair of Speakerlab 15" drivers, designed for the Klipsch horn. Also he bought the cast aluminum midrange and Tweeter, and the crossover kit from them.

We're closing out a storage unit, and they're too big for our place. I hate to roll them into the dump... Anybody want them?? We're in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Jim K,

I hope someone will adopt these.  The dumpster is too horrible fate.

There was a fellow here heading a youth group in SF restoring LaScalas. 

Does anyone have that thread? 

My thought is that he and his protégés might like to work on them as a project.

In any case, Jim's inquiry should be moved or reposted in the garage sale section.

WMcD

• Like 1