72 Hour special

derrickdj1

Well, the weather is warm and I thought I would replace the lone sealed sub with the Marty Cube.  I plan to get this thing done on the quick since the weather is on my side.  Even though I will gain a little output, this is more a lateral move since I have enough extension and output with out the sealed sub.  The tune for this should be around 21 or 22 Hz and with an HS shelf, it will drop down to 17 Hz.  I am using Gorilla glue from the other DIY thread going, lol.

DSCN2330.JPG

DSCN2331.JPG

• Like 2

No down sizing.  Just swapping the lone sealed sub for a vented one.  This is a small sub at just under 6 cu. ft for an end table sub.  I will pretty much have the same fire power or a tad more in the 17 - 30 Hz area.  If I don't tear the sealed box up getting the driver out, I will have two sub boxes to give away this spring.:D  Throw a driver in and you will be good to go!  I hate to trash them.  The other is a dual box for 18 in. drivers.

24 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

No down sizing.  Just swapping the lone sealed sub for a vented one.  This is a small sub at just under 6 cu. ft for an end table sub.  I will pretty much have the same fire power or a tad more in the 17 - 30 Hz area.  If I don't tear the sealed box up getting the driver out, I will have two sub boxes to give away this spring.:D  Throw a driver in and you will be good to go!  I hate to trash them.  The other is a dual box for 18 in. drivers.

Would those work with the 18s from the KP-600 stacks. I believe they are K-47s

Mark

Got the baffles cut and placed in the box.  Tomorrow the speaker binding post, drill the driver holes and glue the top on.  I will finish this build all on one page of the thread, lol.  The real monster may come this summer.  A dual ported box LLT that can get down to 10-11 Hz.  The bad part is if I do one, the rule is to do them in pairs, lol.

I family has a tenancy to get me Home depot gift card like I want them.  Just get me a gift card that I can use anywhere, like a good  restaurant.

Image result for Restaurant gifs of eating

• Like 1

I've thought about getting some plastic sheeting, hanging it from the ceiling of my garage, and encapsulating the work area to help with the dust.  Haven't tried it yet.  But yeah, MDF dust is nice and fine and covers everything.

Have you been happy with the iNUKE's?  I just posted a question in my thread because I'm bouncing back and forth between the 3000 DSP and the Crown XLS 1502.  Amazon has the Crown for $309 vs $399.  I like some of the features of the Crown vs the iNUKE.  I just need to make a decision....

I like the I Nuke DSP amps.  I have 7.  They match perfect with the  SI and UM 18 driver and no need for a Mini DSP since they have all the DSP needed to dial the subs in.  My first passive sub amp was a Crown.  It was decent and no complaints.  A fellow forum member suggested the taking the Crown back and getting the I Nukes with the DSP.  Some people like the old heavy amps but, over the past 4+ years, these have been rock solid and plenty of power.  Some people don't like the amber lights, silver color or fan noise with some of the earlier amp.  I had 15+ forum members over last Oct. and nobody even mentioned the fans.  They are not as loud as the projector fan which is not loud .

The I Nukes are a favorite for the AVS DIY guys because they are a good bang for the buck and get the job done.

• Like 1

A ported sub will have an average of around 10 db. more output in the 15-30 Hz area over it's sealed counterpart.  Is it noticeable, it's like adding 3 or 4 more sealed subs.  For music, I have used my ported subs even though I had sealed in the same room.  I can't hear a difference and my system is 90% used for music.

2 hours ago, ACV92 said:

I just posted a question in my thread because I'm bouncing back and forth between the 3000 DSP and the Crown XLS 1502.  Amazon has the Crown for $309 vs $399. 

"...vs $399,"  Do you mean $399 for the Inuke 3000 w/dsp?  If so, that number is too high.

The 3000 w/dsp is $300 and the 6000 w/dsp is $400.  Those are round numbers, you can usually do better if you shop around. 

http://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=inuke&sitesearch=true

A used 3000 w/dsp is around $200+shipping.

Yeah, I've been researching more and I'm going to stick with the 3000 DSP.  wvu80 the price for the Crown XLS 1502 was $309 on Amazon vs $399 at PE and elsewhere.  Amazon also has the 3000 DSP for $251.99, free shipping.  I'm only going to be running one UMAX 15 for now.  So, at 4 Ohm bridged the 3000 DSP will be plenty.

I was looking at the REW software as well.  They recommend this mic:  https://www.amazon.com/miniDSP-UMIK-1-Measurement-Calibrated-Microphone/dp/B00N4Q25R8/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1487474513&sr=1-1&keywords=miniDSP+UMIK-1+USB+Measurement+Calibrated+Microphone

Is this a decent mic?

derrickdj1 - What are you going to finish the enclosure with?  Keep the pics coming.

23 minutes ago, ACV92 said:

Yeah, I've been researching more and I'm going to stick with the 3000 DSP.  wvu80 the price for the Crown XLS 1502 was $309 on Amazon vs $399 at PE and elsewhere.  Amazon also has the 3000 DSP for $251.99, free shipping.  I'm only going to be running one UMAX 15 for now.  So, at 4 Ohm bridged the 3000 DSP will be plenty.

I was looking at the REW software as well.  They recommend this mic:  https://www.amazon.com/miniDSP-UMIK-1-Measurement-Calibrated-Microphone/dp/B00N4Q25R8/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1487474513&sr=1-1&keywords=miniDSP+UMIK-1+USB+Measurement+Calibrated+Microphone

Is this a decent mic?

derrickdj1 - What are you going to finish the enclosure with?  Keep the pics coming.

A lot of people use that mic and it should be OK.  I don't know if you need a special computer card for that, might want to check on AVS or maybe some of the guys here use it.  I use Omnimic which is around $300 but, it is quick and you can be up and running in a matter of minutes.  There is a lot to REW far as a learning curve.  Jerry Austin listed a how to on the AVS forum.