72 Hour special

derrickdj1

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Thanks derrick, I appreciate it.  That was my first and only sub with that finish.  It takes WAY too much work to get a finish like that.  I remember turning the cube on it's side over and over while shining a shop light across it looking for pin holes and imperfections.  It's very tedious.

It is tedious but, look at what you did.  It is a true work of perfection and the pride in making that sub will always shine, priceless.  There is nothing like DIY and the pride in what you were able to do.  You can learn all you want to about sub setup, sub types but, once you build a few, know what the driver specs meaning, it is just a different world of appreciation.  You expect certain things from some build and also know what not to expect.  That's OK, it is just knowing where you are trying to go with a build.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

I wish you were closer, my friend.

As do I.  Oh the sawdust we would make!

I'm currently saving up for my next project.  I want to build a dual 18" driver ported sub for the garage to go with my KI-396's.  So far I have a Crown K2, and a Paradigm X-30.  Next purchase will be some drivers.  I'm thinking Ficaraudio's.  I've had great luck with those drivers and they'll work well with the K2.  I'm wanting a 22-24 Hz tune.

• Like 1

This will be an end table sub and I will have to do a few things to get a nice finish.  This is the longest part of the build coming up.  Then the fun part.  I love the setup part and integration.  This is the part that I do best and have spent considerably time learning.  I can tell what is missing without the last sub in the system, and even being a small sub, it rounds out the system which is based on 8 sub.  

This one will have wheels like the other subs.  There is no reason not to be able to move them with minimal effort in my case.  Tomorrow or in the morning I will mount the driver and line the cab.  This one is a done deal!  I already have a tempered glass top for the sub.  Yelp, that is sawdust down in the vent.  I will blow out everything before putting the driver in.  I included a pic of the speaker connection.  A lot of DIY subs use a speakon connection but, you don't have to.  This is just as good a connection.  Just push the banana plugs in and fire it up.

DSCN2339.JPG

DSCN2338.JPG

DSCN2340.JPG

The steps need a fresh coat of paint.  But, not today.  Why do today what can be put off to tomorrow.  This system in near an endpoint.  Cinema, Heritage, etc is just a lateral move.  Six years on the forum and input from our members has brought about a lot of change to where I started.  I would not trade any of it because it is all a piece of the puzzles and thanks guys for the push.

DSCN2342.JPG

The subs is finished in Gliden Black Diamond, a satin paint and primer combo.  I've tested this system tonight.   This is a perfect satellite system..The RF 7 II's at 90 lb and the RC 64 at 60 lb. and XO at 80 Hz. I can't find a reason to run things large and cut out the subs.  The RF 7II's or almost any speaker can't match the subs in this system.  They are way out classed.

2 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Yes, less than a week.  I had couple of down days.  I did a quick FR and didn't have to change the phase.  All I did was lower the gain for that sub.

DSCN2347.JPG

Your room is amazing.  It's totally cool when you know it well enough to be able to sub out a sub :) and have it workout that much better. 

• Like 1

With subs scattered around the room, there really is not much to do.  If you found a good spot for one sub, 9 out of 10, it will be a good spot for another sub.  The Marty cube is bigger than I imagined.  This was just a change.  It's been a long time since I've had all the same type of subs in the system.  It's not better or worse, just a small change.  I rented Hacksaw Ridge to see if the TR is improved.  I hope the movie is has good as the reviews.