Cornwall's are finally here... Along with my VTA ST-70 amp

avguytx

Having recently switched out the k-77's to the CT-120's in my HIP's I believe that would be a big move in the right direction, they added so much to the upper end it was almost hard to believe. I've made many upgrades / modifications over the years to many different Klipsch speaker models and I can say without hesitation that the CT-120 was the biggest single improvement I've made to a set of speakers, they really are that good in my opinion. Just like jimbo said with the mid drivers, you can buy new ones and sell off the old to recoup a good portion of the cost, well worth it.

Could it just be the different sonics between a 2-way CF3 with a much bigger horn and a 3-way CW with a smaller horn. Not to muddle the discussion but when I owned LS and CW at the same time and rotated speakers in/out the CW sounded lifeless, recessed, much darker. I know comparing CF3 to full horn loaded LS is a stretch but maybe the CW just isn't able to keep up the top sparkle and dynamics you get from the CF. After time with both Belle and LS the CW just wasn't continuing in my future. For me there is That much difference. 

I'm close to getting my ST-70 built but I may go ahead and get some CT-120's or Elliptrac HF's as I miss that upper end response I'm used to.  With tinnitus, I need all the help I can get so if there's a rise in response above 10khz, that's fine.  

CT-120's ordered along with a pair of gaskets for mids.  Might should've ordered grill cloth but that can wait till another time.  I have a pair of the new Klipsch grill emblems I could use versus trying to find a decent pair of the older emblems and paying that crazy price for them.  That would make them look kind of like a CW-3, I guess.  

• Like 1

New CT-120 tweeters aand gaskets installed.  Yep...that made a great difference on the top end I was missing before.  Nothing like testing them out with some Allison Krauss to hear how that edge was taken off in her voice plus that UHF that just wasn't there....even with my crappy hearing.  ha  It's nice being one day shipping from Mr Crites...even if we Arkansans do have to pay tax on his goodies. ;)

My VTA ST-70 is done and playing in the garage and I hope to have it in the living room later and get a little listening time in.  If not, it will be tomorrow when I get home from work...about 12:30pm.  

• Like 2

This is when amp was in garage setting bias but it's in the living room now. Waiting for some 1n4007 diodes to put on the rectifier tube then I can button it up.  Noise free and worked the first time. Ha.  That variac Bob recommended me to use works like a champ...keeping it set at a steady 117v. Here's a couple of pics of it...underside and topside.  

20170301_171758_zpsja6qb1md.jpg

20170302_133901_zpsjehvhqao.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avguytx said:

New CT-120 tweeters aand gaskets installed.  Yep...that made a great difference on the top end I was missing before.  

Glad you like them! I was just blown away by them, never expected such a dramatic difference from a little tweeter.

11 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

OH!!! I can't help it...

Those are just begging to be Cornscalas...

Haha..  Not sure I'm ready go cut the baffle up on these right now.  If only the stock baffle could be removed easily, I'd consider it.  Or if I found some beater CW's.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

I understand...

But just consider recapping the crossovers.

Already did.....changed them from a Type B to B-2 using Solen caps and Jantzen coils.  That made a very noticeable difference.

VTA ST-70 with 6550 tubes is officially done and in place running noise free and dead silent. Man, this amp is leaps and bounds above a console pull tube amp. As much as I enjoyed the other two through the years, I'm super proud of getting this one finished up and it sounds phenomenal on the Cornwalls. (Now if I just didn't have tinnitus...sigh) I had ordered a couple of extra GZ34 tubes (Ruby and a JJ) and am using the Ruby at the moment after finishing up the diodes mod on the rectifier today. I've got the recommended variac hooked up for the amp to tie into as my wall voltage is around 125 volta on average; it's dialed in to 117 volts which keeps things longer running. 

A big thanks to Maynard for tolerating all of my questions and emails so graciously. His input and advice is most appreciated! Thank you sir! 

20170305_113750_zpsowrfttg8.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

And after a little over a month with them, I still feel like my CF-3's "best" the Cornwall's in my living room.  Not saying anything is wrong with the Cornwall's whatsoever.  But, on both the VTA ST-70 (22 wpc in Triode, /35 wpc in Pentode) or the Carver (460 wpc), the CF-3's take them.  Even my wife who could care less says they just don't sound as good.  And her hearing is definitely better than mine.  ha

So who knows...they may move on down the road before long.  Belle project isn't too far from starting.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 4/10/2017 at 1:50 PM, avguytx said:

And after a little over a month with them, I still feel like my CF-3's "best" the Cornwall's in my living room.  Not saying anything is wrong with the Cornwall's whatsoever.  But, on both the VTA ST-70 (22 wpc in Triode, /35 wpc in Pentode) or the Carver (460 wpc), the CF-3's take them.  Even my wife who could care less says they just don't sound as good.  And her hearing is definitely better than mine.  ha

So who knows...they may move on down the road before long.  Belle project isn't too far from starting.

Now that it's been a few years do you have any further observations between the CF3's and Cornwalls? Both of these speakers are on my list, however at the top of my list is building a Cornscala D and running an ST70 tube amp.