La Scale Price in 1978?

SiliconTi

In 1975 I paid full retail of $1118.25 incl. California state sales tax for a brand new pair of La Scalas. I bought them from a lovely sales lady named Rita from a little shop at University and Shattuck in Berkeley. My first new pair of Klipsch. I was 17 years old and had $600.00 in cash in my pocket and got a personal loan from Bank Of America for the rest. Those were the days.

• Like 1

post-7905-13819800619238_thumb.jpgOn 3/21/1980 I purchased Klipsch LS-BLS Maple stain with top grill. It was still the screen door type trim grill then. Cost 1516.00 + tax 60.64 = 1580.64. Bought from  Stereo Odyssey in Merriam Kansas I still have the receipt.. That was about 5 months after my dad passed so I thought I'm going to do it... so I sold my altec model 9s and went for it..lol. They delivered aroundpost-7905-13819737599354_thumb.jpgpost-7905-1381980061142_thumb.jpg 4/16/1980  unboxed and hooked them up and made sure they worked before leaving. I thought I was a somebody that day...lol , Being only 22 I never been treated that well by a company. I still have them although I have redone them and right after I got them we went to the factory for a visit.

The other reason I bought them I had been watching the price and they continued to go up almost every year. I would say in 78 they were about 600 each.

Right after that they came out with the new Base shoe molding trim kind of made me mad but oh well.

Price list shown is 1977.

5 hours ago, scalawag said:

I kept this price sheet for reference purposes when I made my purchase back in '76; hope I'm not violating any laws by posting it here!

LS_zpsft48znka.jpg

That's a cool piece of history.

I see the La Scala at 525, I'm sure that's for one speaker. I assume the other prices are for pairs correct?

Cool, thanks guys. So, it looks like they were $600 each in 1978. So, that makes them $4470 in todays dollars. Add in my Mac 4100 which was $2000 in 1978 = $7450 in todays dollars you get about $12K in todays market. Holy cow. I suppose that is about the same - new La Scala II at $8K/pr and a new Mac 6700 at $6.5K is a bit more, but there is (IMHO) an artificial premium put on high end audio products today.

Interesting.   

1 hour ago, SiliconTi said:

Nope, Klipsh always did each for pricing.

I thought so also. But if that's true, that means a pair of Heresies are 762, Cornwalls are 1300, Belle's are 2400, and Khorns are 2882, and LS are only 1050? 

The La Scalas are a steal then.