Thoughts on buying used subs?

Skillz4lif

What are your thoughts on buying used subs? There seems to be a lot of forum topics on sub amps that have gone bad, so is it even worth it to buy used? I was thinking about buying a RSW-12 for around 300-350 but didn't know if that was better than trying to find a good deal for a newer sub (112-SW or 115-SW). 

There aren't any Fry's here so I haven't been able to take advantage of their deals.

Passive? No hesitation whatsoever. Active with an integrated amp? Definitely do your research on the company and any options for replacement after failure. Older Klipsch subs have certainly had issues with the plate amps, Elemental Designs went completely under as a result of their subs and failing plate amps.

I used an oAudio plate amp with my passive sub for about 3 years before it ultimately failed. They closed up shop by the time I could reach out for warranty repair. :/

I own or have owned 9 subwoofers(2 new, 7 used).  Only 2 of them have had any issues.  One repaired for free(SVS SB13 Plus) and the other for around $125.00(Paradigm Servo 15a).  Any subwoofer, new or used is subject to amp failure, the difference and peace of mind is a warranty for new.

One subwoofer I purchased that to this day is the best used audio purchase I have made is the Revel B15.  New this sub was considered the top or in the top two or three finest consumer subwoofers you could buy and retailed for $3295.00 but was bought used for $450.00 + a B&K EX4420 which I paid only $225.00 a couple of years before.  In other words, deals are out there.

Skillz4lif, where are you located?

Bill

• Like 2

Two things should lead you to what sub(s) you should buy.

Specifications for subs are important and tell you a lot about their capabilities.  These are provided by manufacturers and reviews.  Reviews often have the benefit of real measurements in a room vs the manufacturer's specs which are sometimes fudged in their favor.  

Subjective reviews are critically important for any sub or speaker.  You should read reviews from pros and from average users to get a true sense of the real capability and in room experience.  The most beneficial reviews are done by you, hearing them in person.  The next best thing is hearing reviews from a source you trust that you believe has some understanding of what your own needs or wants are.

To answer your question directly, the RSW sub has a particular purpose as far as fitting into certain systems - it is the "original" sub that came with certain setups.    it also is a really cool design of subs and at the right price, is worth trying if you don't mind the possibility of failure sooner than a newer sub.  If you have not heard one and don't have a particular affinity for one, you will most likely be happier in many respects by buying a newer sub.

more reliable, has a warranty (maybe), better performance, and cleaner appearance (RSWs are old and rarely in perfect shape, and if so very expensive) are all reasons to get something new instead of an RSW.    With all that said, trying out the RSW line has an appeal of its own and there's nothing wrong with going that route.  But if you are someone who does not care so much about what an RSW is and simply wants a great performing subwoofer, there are better choices as far as performance and reliability.  

• Like 1

Nice reply ^^^ @RoboKlipsch.

I think you can find a good used sub if you can find the right model and the right price.

You just have to do your research and find known problems for that model and then know that just like buying a used car, you are paying for un-used miles.  If you buy a sub that might last for 10 years and you buy it at 8 years-old, it probably doesn't have many used miles left.

How's that for a mixed metaphor?  :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

Two things should lead you to what sub(s) you should buy.

Specifications for subs are important and tell you a lot about their capabilities.  These are provided by manufacturers and reviews.  Reviews often have the benefit of real measurements in a room vs the manufacturer's specs which are sometimes fudged in their favor.  

Subjective reviews are critically important for any sub or speaker.  You should read reviews from pros and from average users to get a true sense of the real capability and in room experience.  The most beneficial reviews are done by you, hearing them in person.  The next best thing is hearing reviews from a source you trust that you believe has some understanding of what your own needs or wants are.

To answer your question directly, the RSW sub has a particular purpose as far as fitting into certain systems - it is the "original" sub that came with certain setups.    it also is a really cool design of subs and at the right price, is worth trying if you don't mind the possibility of failure sooner than a newer sub.  If you have not heard one and don't have a particular affinity for one, you will most likely be happier in many respects by buying a newer sub.

more reliable, has a warranty (maybe), better performance, and cleaner appearance (RSWs are old and rarely in perfect shape, and if so very expensive) are all reasons to get something new instead of an RSW.    With all that said, trying out the RSW line has an appeal of its own and there's nothing wrong with going that route.  But if you are someone who does not care so much about what an RSW is and simply wants a great performing subwoofer, there are better choices as far as performance and reliability.  

I know that reliability is my biggest worry when it comes to buying a sub. I've bought my whole setup from this one guy and his son, and they seemed to have taken great care of all of there speakers. Unfortunately, great care doesn't always equal longevity with subs. 

The RSW up for sale looked good but I didn't get to hear it.  I can only go off the fact that they haven't sold me anything bad so far.  But then the question remains on how long before the amp goes?

6 minutes ago, jason str said:

Never buy a used subwoofer

Never?

I guess the 7 powered subs I bought used were all a waste of money.  I am still using 3 of them and I sold the other 4 for what I paid for them or more.

Jason, I get your philosophy and appreciate your wisdom but there are success stories.

Bill